From nobody Mon Oct  5 14:50:00 2026
X-Original-To: questions@mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org
Received: from mx1.freebsd.org (mx1.freebsd.org [IPv6:2610:1c1:1:606c::19:1])
	by mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 4hz2P966Z0z6jyTT
	for <questions@mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org>; Mon, 05 Oct 2026 14:50:21 +0000 (UTC)
	(envelope-from erichanskrs@gmail.com)
Received: from mail-lr2-x04.google.com (mail-lr2-x04.google.com [IPv6:2a00:1450:4864:38::4])
	(using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256 (128/128 bits)
	 key-exchange x25519 server-signature RSA-PSS (4096 bits) server-digest SHA256
	 client-signature RSA-PSS (2048 bits) client-digest SHA256)
	(Client CN "smtp.gmail.com", Issuer "WR4" (verified OK))
	by mx1.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 4hz2P90lBzz3LhP
	for <questions@freebsd.org>; Mon, 05 Oct 2026 14:50:21 +0000 (UTC)
	(envelope-from erichanskrs@gmail.com)
Authentication-Results: mx1.freebsd.org;
	dkim=pass header.d=gmail.com header.s=20251104 header.b=OGWJVxbx;
	arc=pass ("google.com:s=arc-20260327:i=1");
	spf=pass (mx1.freebsd.org: domain of erichanskrs@gmail.com designates 2a00:1450:4864:38::4 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=erichanskrs@gmail.com;
	dmarc=pass (policy=none) header.from=gmail.com
Received: by mail-lr2-x04.google.com with SMTP id 38308e7fff4ca-3a777bd9597so13275601fa.1
        for <questions@freebsd.org>; Mon, 05 Oct 2026 07:50:21 -0700 (PDT)
ARC-Seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1791211814; cv=none;
        d=google.com; s=arc-20260327;
        b=p/f4fFyU1ffiSC+mWx1YXuFyVc+L3rPKOR+rBJSgn8MVKTcXvuJjfniayn6jWqxHGf
         cSB6AvkaAtiN6kEbax/PQfxlvQLfDLf7ehB94SdchdoE/ewuT048F5subEhjuki136qv
         BPZB8feyttx74wUUObq0SU4aW1iAeYI4PiDX4iwMY1BLVkOmWSdLJFjzm4psIlI+B2Wg
         zYzW9S9Ot6q1iJIwNFfeA7mKKNYGQUtzQ+egkd/6y2NjqcJgI6UtOjdP+cM9O791ZlrZ
         fZe/ouHlmWgv9M55h9coWL9TaoUaxviLBIdUP/xWPXqeBII0vJza4cfr+S8DueGE/bRB
         7GHw==
ARC-Message-Signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20260327;
        h=content-transfer-encoding:cc:to:subject:message-id:date:from
         :in-reply-to:references:mime-version:dkim-signature;
        bh=grvFOhOCT6o6hvRJc+kRvbGLLx8kRenDp/uCt7mRS78=;
        fh=lhtT23bp35+3kM/H9CC/y+5G/xhpvUszii0tl7iPdMk=;
        b=iutcrgMNqJLZEKapBH5hnqYYvr2qDjQrKFP4BcJw2j0KSVujyhIM7M45J01pZc8VVc
         J9upsnjxvrrgyGPNcow4ahVQciwcw5s/Tbjaj7alg6bAdyX5Y1uJxz9pz97yoH6oDa8W
         UP6vom/51oQOXkF6KqJW4FufPtn1BBN1VB1P2B2vsC++CNe+BJlh1SRgbjtlzuxz8bv+
         9xYYZpyAMxDoGi4gosrWjs7WYT1BCm3pbQD+svNwFgEpU0spfdrY9Naz855a9wjcRSPl
         MDyc+De1FWQT1lOfuG0RUXWVu9ZdhKsYjIeFwKlR4HJJxtVuAy5aqXnVfeNKaGp3Ps+M
         UmYg==;
        darn=freebsd.org
ARC-Authentication-Results: i=1; mx.google.com; arc=none
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;
        d=gmail.com; s=20251104; t=1791211814; x=1791816614; darn=freebsd.org;
        h=content-transfer-encoding:content-type:cc:to:subject:message-id
         :date:from:in-reply-to:references:mime-version:from:to:cc:subject
         :date:message-id:reply-to:content-type;
        bh=grvFOhOCT6o6hvRJc+kRvbGLLx8kRenDp/uCt7mRS78=;
        b=OGWJVxbxuGp5EcFbVJdXnr+8Zkbkma9rMa1Kw7yGEYLcIPToi9gnYBRdk+pCGIIxOU
         gkNsMmpmwVDNw7gmCEcAaQ9/K0O0OTcQ1HKNgroy9EBifjIkaieXwp34XF0uP/qYPOZo
         xIruPNsNKmY7D2PFZTlYMuUtLzyiINz6TYicFxMA2nF1w4JsaATYHc7wmDoW0ejC63pV
         +FKC2O644wldSKJDqY1IRfd/Im3Sl0EMBPvS5nx17TaoiVSb/3v4lefwuJo86J1DqFxS
         tWip+7llsolpUZBHIkRqn09l6khgsftRjjHypEf/H/Ef26DN5a9uZft0oA6fkWWjoPre
         TE4A==
X-Google-DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;
        d=1e100.net; s=20260707; t=1791211814; x=1791816614;
        h=content-transfer-encoding:content-type:cc:to:subject:message-id
         :date:from:in-reply-to:references:mime-version:x-gm-gg
         :x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc:subject:date:message-id:reply-to
         :content-type;
        bh=grvFOhOCT6o6hvRJc+kRvbGLLx8kRenDp/uCt7mRS78=;
        b=tfM0tMnH0xw91sfWrX1A5yU+s6/iVt3Mxr4/WfKCF1ne5f9CHD/JXe6alhMW50vDsd
         KyrS7uXzopJkwGLyuDgzNyEmo8CWoAVkvSHF/oJ2dhxJdT2SleTgAnURXZpsV9BTVb0r
         MtIsWiVyjvnDf3mc0ovMHUjoe+hkypykC87CY8AkVYQiKG3zmPfJWX/pNNAKrAa4akK4
         eOk+zijvE1t0avWxeU9M5QMy2h5/KG5bq50JQCWv5qQn9g/cUXMZLkGoIxaV/WbJOUNb
         OM+Pgcss0HKv6X5677Cf2auYC4U6YxQF3+Fe5UV0aWxRJKDUJdHVgyVM7QFdBctxouxV
         5bdQ==
X-Gm-Message-State: AFq9FYItLxWMelLvXbCt4uzFYG7lT/Zr+jTUeyXpeffDXH6yjItbcJdN
	v0KE8SyTyKcZtaRRDTAPrNQTWgdRVXjoU4jT3n5tTyU5d4N862SFYBn74NdAl5NhZQyGznSwNJ2
	CQMbP+sLfcsw+b0tKmuj7P9Dd+jctWKA=
X-Gm-Gg: AYBFou03pOg673WrHy6t5UmkPF8JOUBmLFO++BM7FfjwkcwXnssGnd3MSWHcFgbf8po
	hRlRCGK7botcbJAKYLA/UI7/YYv9IMdtmgMJ7FLbqAVSMoA/2JGS3HJPCrmaCpZhiBdVstwt9jW
	Xl7Z6vJJNAzcBCrgt6wTeYEz523sqp3jYdr4QzloHLxmOAzfmn5/TJmQAvDSDdK2PI+2tJEDkMo
	u0khI4StWroe3LF2PIf9qhROP/YNXhDA9A3+tupICltQArnRLCaGggB7hd5QwXurombxDalE+mG
	adywl0nbSLPsIbOcsOLWvRFanmrsVtNw67ZPt6jtG75600BNkYsK5RXYLu+W0cDg00cozNdUG3v
	/ivLhZU6Y/BmX
X-Received: by 2002:a05:6512:3052:b0:5b8:edbd:60a4 with SMTP id
 2adb3069b0e04-5bb9bb145c3mr3356905e87.43.1791211811910; Mon, 05 Oct 2026
 07:50:11 -0700 (PDT)
List-Id: User questions <freebsd-questions.freebsd.org>
List-Archive: https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-questions
List-Help: <mailto:questions+help@freebsd.org>
List-Post: <mailto:questions@freebsd.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:questions+subscribe@freebsd.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:questions+unsubscribe@freebsd.org>
X-BeenThere: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
List-Id: <freebsd-questions.FreeBSD.org>
List-Post: <mailto:freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
List-Help: <mailto:freebsd-questions+help@FreeBSD.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:freebsd-questions+subscribe@FreeBSD.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:freebsd-questions+unsubscribe@FreeBSD.org>
List-Owner: <mailto:postmaster@FreeBSD.org>
Precedence: list
MIME-Version: 1.0
References: <CAM9dGPuVPdTLztpYYG7d9cpJj1Ocm680iihvn5M55AXbW422Cg@mail.gmail.com>
 <SA1PR11MB8811749B1D5EDD7ACC7E5EB2E6972@SA1PR11MB8811.namprd11.prod.outlook.com>
In-Reply-To: <SA1PR11MB8811749B1D5EDD7ACC7E5EB2E6972@SA1PR11MB8811.namprd11.prod.outlook.com>
From: Erichans <erichanskrs@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2026 16:50:00 +0200
X-Gm-Features: AclHuK_VXMzsAmmMkQ6ub7gOlJnG6Nd7G4cyRfQxO0QsRMAhKRkM9VzmaVIuSNs
Message-ID: <CAM9dGPur9pn7CcDiAvMRdVcqEMf+fNB79MSkvFqFFeh6hgV=zw@mail.gmail.com>
Subject: Re: CVEs not propagated from ports tree to FreeBSD package servers -
 FreeBSD policy?
To: "Edward Sanford Sutton, III" <mirror176@hotmail.com>
Cc: questions@freebsd.org
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
X-Spamd-Bar: -
X-Spamd-Result: default: False [-1.00 / 15.00];
	SUBJECT_ENDS_QUESTION(1.00)[];
	ARC_ALLOW(-1.00)[google.com:s=arc-20260327:i=1];
	DMARC_POLICY_ALLOW(-0.50)[gmail.com,none];
	R_DKIM_ALLOW(-0.20)[gmail.com:s=20251104];
	R_SPF_ALLOW(-0.20)[+ip6:2a00:1450:4864::/56];
	MIME_GOOD(-0.10)[text/plain];
	ASN(0.00)[asn:15169, ipnet:2a00:1450::/32, country:US];
	RCVD_COUNT_ONE(0.00)[1];
	TO_DN_SOME(0.00)[];
	MISSING_XM_UA(0.00)[];
	MIME_TRACE(0.00)[0:+];
	FREEMAIL_ENVFROM(0.00)[gmail.com];
	FREEMAIL_FROM(0.00)[gmail.com];
	MID_RHS_MATCH_FROMTLD(0.00)[];
	FREEMAIL_TO(0.00)[hotmail.com];
	RCPT_COUNT_TWO(0.00)[2];
	TO_MATCH_ENVRCPT_SOME(0.00)[];
	FROM_EQ_ENVFROM(0.00)[];
	FROM_HAS_DN(0.00)[];
	RCVD_IN_DNSWL_NONE(0.00)[2a00:1450:4864:38::4:from];
	DWL_DNSWL_NONE(0.00)[gmail.com:dkim];
	RCVD_TLS_LAST(0.00)[];
	PREVIOUSLY_DELIVERED(0.00)[questions@freebsd.org];
	MLMMJ_DEST(0.00)[questions@freebsd.org];
	DKIM_TRACE(0.00)[gmail.com:+]
X-Rspamd-Queue-Id: 4hz2P90lBzz3LhP

Thank you for responding.

On Mon, Oct 5, 2026 at 12:58=E2=80=AFAM Edward Sanford Sutton, III
<mirror176@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 10/2/26 05:02, Erichans wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > What is the policy of the FreeBSD project regarding
> > the propagation of CVE mitigations from the ports tree to
> > the FreeBSD package servers?
>
>    To clarify, are you asking about packages for the kmods package
> repository?
Yes, that is correct.

>Once a port is updated in a ports tree it will impact
> packages that form from that tree but the kmods repo does build on a
> different cycle than the main packages.
>    When users don't use the kmods repo they get the main build sequence
> but that causes issues for kernel modules as the main package repos
> build everything against 15.0 until its not supported and then will
> finally switch to 15.1. Most packages are fine with this while kmods are
> most likely to become incompatible which becomes particularly common for
> the modules using the Linux abi/kpi.
15.1-RELEASE users that use the FreeBSD package servers and need
a package matching their kernel only have access to:
FreeBSD-ports-kmods  emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod-72
virtualbox-ose-kmod-72  7.2.8.1501000

According to a commit of 2026-06-17, that version already had
several CVE related issues:
emulators/virtualbox-ose{,-additions,-kmod}-72: Update 7.2.8 =3D> 7.2.10 (1=
0 CVEs)
https://cgit.freebsd.org/ports/commit/emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod-72?id=
=3Dbbd7ab52a8a20722c901b3e4950cbb7e2b52581c

To emphasize, users of release versions have their kmods repo
enabled by default for quarterly (for which the package is still
not available: [1] ). Optionally, they can switch to latest. I am
not aware of any FreeBSD advice, CVE related or otherwise,
that encourages or explicitly directs users to disable their kmods repo.

>    I'm not sure why kmods receive an order to be built that is separate
> from when the main packages do but ordering the kmods builds happen from
> the same ports tree commit as the main build packages are made from and
> then release them at the same time seems like a more reliable solution
> albeit with a little bit more work for the builders.
Hence my questions concerning the CVE mitigations.

>
> > Regarding a specific example, the commit
> > "emulators/virtualbox-ose-*72: Update 7.2.16 =3D> 7.2.18 (19 CVEs)":
> > https://cgit.freebsd.org/ports/commit/emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod-72?=
id=3D13ab7c594392a69c355c4e6d38491587b9a39d7c
> > was not propagated to the FreeBSD-ports-kmods repository.
> > Why?
> >
> > This means packages with these CVE mitigations were not
> > made available to users of:
> > - 15.1-RELEASE quarterly
> > - 15.1-RELEASE latest
> >
> > With respect to these CVE mitigations, it's remarkable that*:
> > 15.1-RELEASE pkg users do not have access to
> > virtualbox-ose-kmod-72-7.2.18.1501000
> > as opposed to:
> > 15.0-RELEASE pkg users        have access to
> > virtualbox-ose-kmod-72-7.2.18.1500068
> >
> > The commit was on 2026-09-16. Today, Thu Oct  2
> > (16 days later), the package still isn't available in
> > FreeBSD-ports-kmods for 15.1-RELEASE (or, as of 2026Q4,
> > not yet in FreeBSD-ports)*. As to the packages, I was
> > expecting a delay of a few days after the commit date.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Eric
> >
> >
> > P.S. In the context of FreeBSD-ports-kmods, I find it
> > noteworthy that a question on the freebsd-questions ML
> > has been left unanswered:
> > Re: FreeBSD-ports-kmods repo not updated since May?
> > https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-questions/2026-August/008106=
.html
> >
> >
> > * For latest on 15.1-RELEASE:
> > [0-0] # date -u
> > Fri Oct  2 09:37:23 UTC 2026
> > [1-0] # pkg rquery -x '%R %o %n %v' 'virtualbox-ose(-kmod)?-72' | colum=
n -t
> > FreeBSD-ports        emulators/virtualbox-ose-72
> > virtualbox-ose-72       7.2.18
> > FreeBSD-ports        emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod-72
> > virtualbox-ose-kmod-72  7.2.18.1500068
> > FreeBSD-ports-kmods  emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod-72
> > virtualbox-ose-kmod-72  7.2.8.1501000
> > [2-0] #
> >
> > Missing:
> > FreeBSD-ports-kmods  emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod-72
> > virtualbox-ose-kmod-72  7.2.18.1501000
>
---
Eric

[1] For quarterly, using 15.1-RELEASE:
[0-0] # date -u
Mon Oct  5 14:47:13 UTC 2026
[1-0] # pkg rquery -x '%R %o %n %v' 'virtualbox-ose(-kmod)?-72' | column -t
FreeBSD-ports        emulators/virtualbox-ose-72
virtualbox-ose-72       7.2.18
FreeBSD-ports        emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod-72
virtualbox-ose-kmod-72  7.2.18.1500068
FreeBSD-ports-kmods  emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod-72
virtualbox-ose-kmod-72  7.2.8.1501000

Missing:
virtualbox-ose-kmod-72, version 7.2.18.1501000

From nobody Mon Oct  5 16:23:50 2026
X-Original-To: questions@mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org
Received: from mx1.freebsd.org (mx1.freebsd.org [IPv6:2610:1c1:1:606c::19:1])
	by mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 4hz4TD18zwz6n53N;
	Mon, 05 Oct 2026 16:24:00 +0000 (UTC)
	(envelope-from mirror176@hotmail.com)
Received: from CH1PR05CU001.outbound.protection.outlook.com (mail-northcentralusazolkn19010001.outbound.protection.outlook.com [52.103.20.1])
	(using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (256/256 bits)
	 key-exchange secp384r1 server-signature RSA-PSS (4096 bits) server-digest SHA256
	 client-signature RSA-PSS (2048 bits) client-digest SHA256)
	(Client CN "mail.protection.outlook.com", Issuer "DigiCert SHA2 Secure Server CA" (not verified))
	by mx1.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 4hz4TC29prz4LMM;
	Mon, 05 Oct 2026 16:23:59 +0000 (UTC)
	(envelope-from mirror176@hotmail.com)
Authentication-Results: mx1.freebsd.org;
	dkim=pass header.d=hotmail.com header.s=selector1 header.b=O12tfPAt;
	arc=pass ("microsoft.com:s=arcselector10001:i=1");
	spf=pass (mx1.freebsd.org: domain of mirror176@hotmail.com designates 52.103.20.1 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=mirror176@hotmail.com;
	dmarc=pass (policy=none) header.from=hotmail.com
ARC-Seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector10001; d=microsoft.com; cv=none;
 b=AFOLS2eiAHyDkR4e6YcOujAmBnrIix4ewmc3ekmYc5LY/Cp2thJ1DSVLJOEGmfg9lI2xTK6G8A8Rjo3SWEfmshMUiDYsjTk0h/nd1g59irPwlK8y9SVNkKT9lW+YwM1FHvenKdUjDICO6YCCw4a0YX1DL27HjSL4vpH2GzjNZCkPxlMzaRrGGSrKxXKtX8nBe03ZUf+OwobB6QMHlFmSZmhc+KkEwej+A/Wu3PGX4VGLCkT5V9weAWah5yJK7KMTYV+59t0APt7CqJOtC4ZQZisp+OrTv7V6PozfjvKMejDlomAySVd2XzRSobhuX/UlfGffD22kXHce5sIi288r9w==
ARC-Message-Signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com;
 s=arcselector10001;
 h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1;
 bh=5qM3SSxSvucQftURU1pHlKv0h+R9U94f/lWkWAZpWQ0=;
 b=hJzmwrCRPXTdPBwpENwo6MGtHV2grNg5hcK8cV17qHMvCgoAtQjKtjHJbWUuwgZbeJavt/PW8PcI9m1wpjzn6/8o8d/wuIYb7ygSq4Z6Fj47pEDdd05EVGb9fFldgil+63fUsEqihgbZaJKkszzg9aQ+7xeugzxqT2BsvMzSjkC7V9QocObpEhY37/NVduFSpiehfg+3ZIWYL5NhyvPhsYHtUqjsnqA8/ehF0dEOYn1ncKcW1/ZuKbUO5jHbE3Ec6UYa2bJ9x2LstEg4V5Zd+ReEuyJ7pNNsyzr0VOWWiY1BxBsGAS69zU12gEqoXFlr3bGnhxrK0i4DqFDbdmS69Q==
ARC-Authentication-Results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=none; dmarc=none;
 dkim=none; arc=none
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=hotmail.com;
 s=selector1;
 h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-SenderADCheck;
 bh=5qM3SSxSvucQftURU1pHlKv0h+R9U94f/lWkWAZpWQ0=;
 b=O12tfPAtGwqXFk3l4EESeQdkUtiHrXPt9KLtFSueM/W7aGTqVDMWRUyzQzEjchMZFXkEp3wwmxJ6+ZFmUb0elAOpuk9S1vCpz3Vj8YLu9eMjPiQ6Glmnwz51NB5YPL8u+5o0KYU6zLB53d1+xVTGmN+McUdAlz2ejtREoEa3FMPeBOj97rnDfYepNAQOuDw/8JsbYib9jOkvQgxXGYd2T0BPfX6deCKKiaLxwJaC/12aK1ecXZpYGZ8g+cF6u+klGMc2WHaVe2h62I/ydJWIa/20lBF2QLXPhJGQ4HP9L5No6lAf2WjF4DzNHFxmPqzZfsUHBhJb+gvlXcTQmeXuWA==
Received: from SA1PR11MB8811.namprd11.prod.outlook.com (2603:10b6:806:467::18)
 by PH0PR11MB4950.namprd11.prod.outlook.com (2603:10b6:510:33::20) with
 Microsoft SMTP Server (version=TLS1_2,
 cipher=TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384) id 15.21.472.20; Mon, 5 Oct
 2026 16:23:54 +0000
Received: from SA1PR11MB8811.namprd11.prod.outlook.com
 ([fe80::5fae:75f1:3548:9369]) by SA1PR11MB8811.namprd11.prod.outlook.com
 ([fe80::5fae:75f1:3548:9369%5]) with mapi id 15.21.0472.016; Mon, 5 Oct 2026
 16:23:54 +0000
Message-ID:
 <SA1PR11MB8811009AE7322BD320669447E6962@SA1PR11MB8811.namprd11.prod.outlook.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2026 09:23:50 -0700
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird
Subject: Re: CVEs not propagated from ports tree to FreeBSD package servers -
 FreeBSD policy?
To: Erichans <erichanskrs@gmail.com>, ports-secteam@FreeBSD.org
Cc: questions@freebsd.org
References: <CAM9dGPuVPdTLztpYYG7d9cpJj1Ocm680iihvn5M55AXbW422Cg@mail.gmail.com>
 <SA1PR11MB8811749B1D5EDD7ACC7E5EB2E6972@SA1PR11MB8811.namprd11.prod.outlook.com>
 <CAM9dGPur9pn7CcDiAvMRdVcqEMf+fNB79MSkvFqFFeh6hgV=zw@mail.gmail.com>
Content-Language: en-US
From: "Edward Sanford Sutton, III" <mirror176@hotmail.com>
In-Reply-To: <CAM9dGPur9pn7CcDiAvMRdVcqEMf+fNB79MSkvFqFFeh6hgV=zw@mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-ClientProxiedBy: MN0PR03CA0002.namprd03.prod.outlook.com
 (2603:10b6:208:52f::31) To SA1PR11MB8811.namprd11.prod.outlook.com
 (2603:10b6:806:467::18)
X-Microsoft-Original-Message-ID:
 <c70a761b-b15a-4911-bf96-86c8af07bc9a@hotmail.com>
List-Id: User questions <freebsd-questions.freebsd.org>
List-Archive: https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-questions
List-Help: <mailto:questions+help@freebsd.org>
List-Post: <mailto:questions@freebsd.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:questions+subscribe@freebsd.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:questions+unsubscribe@freebsd.org>
X-BeenThere: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
List-Id: <freebsd-questions.FreeBSD.org>
List-Post: <mailto:freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
List-Help: <mailto:freebsd-questions+help@FreeBSD.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:freebsd-questions+subscribe@FreeBSD.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:freebsd-questions+unsubscribe@FreeBSD.org>
List-Owner: <mailto:postmaster@FreeBSD.org>
Precedence: list
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-MS-Exchange-MessageSentRepresentingType: 1
X-MS-PublicTrafficType: Email
X-MS-TrafficTypeDiagnostic: SA1PR11MB8811:EE_|PH0PR11MB4950:EE_
X-MS-Office365-Filtering-Correlation-Id: 7931c2d6-0378-4721-74ab-08df22fd0be2
X-Microsoft-Antispam:
	BCL:0;ARA:14566002|16041099003|8060799015|19110799012|4140399003|24121999003|24021099003|25010399006|22091999003|25031999004|6090799003|5072599009|23021999003|41001999006|15080799012|53005399003|40105399003|1602099012|10035399007|2607281247196008|3412199025|4302099013|440099028;
X-Microsoft-Antispam-Message-Info:
	=?utf-8?B?aDZwSVgyWjJGaEtlQktpK01FSGdjbzBxQnFQZ1pvczN4TmxROEZZZE1mbCty?=
 =?utf-8?B?QUFwTXViTThPSnA4Qnd2RnVNRUFoQldQbU9BUnQxdS9WVVZFVU11VXpHL1hu?=
 =?utf-8?B?bThJMzRyeHk3b3BVTjB3WnhNQTJxbVlxRjZkRlg1dStwdnhNcXAzV1BmaG9a?=
 =?utf-8?B?WEE0RGk0enROYU9iWFgrQTlGcFEzWEN1NG04ckkxay80TzFvdkJSMHVCbXN1?=
 =?utf-8?B?S0ZFVUF3Z0pTYTNvSXIzTFJYU3FaVytuelZlb25XdEQyMms0THhLSEVsWFA2?=
 =?utf-8?B?RWhFU2tIL3pUY1lnVVd4WndxdUJUbmNGYndvMnBtY3M1RTErWkZINVdFQXE3?=
 =?utf-8?B?K3pJRCtWQ1A3WVF5cXZpL0FzTElDd293T2JUQldLc2k2bGp3QjJoTmVjVkhN?=
 =?utf-8?B?MkxHejc3emMwcHB5R1JKeGdKdGQ3K1RIcE8rUnNubzIxSDdtdXRlcUdId0lZ?=
 =?utf-8?B?dEJDcGlOeHpYdGZsd1llV2I5MTN5eHYreGMxYmRrQmh6Mm80ZS9raXdhNjRV?=
 =?utf-8?B?cW9yZkFzelVpZElEVVRiM09FakZ3SmVLUHZidEdZU1h3Ums3Vncxa0V1NWxH?=
 =?utf-8?B?S2NBOXlKVU5yOUR1NUtqTHR1YzVYcHVvRXFpeksvOExRbmwxblJnOXZpRmIr?=
 =?utf-8?B?VDFsTnhFU014TVJGTnFsZ3I1UzYzaU9hUVRLZGhvODRkUERJamlNeUpMVG0r?=
 =?utf-8?B?R1l1SlVGTThkZXU0SXFVOUM3OGNJejBIUk5KNlQvN21BVkZ0NE9mdUNvSDB0?=
 =?utf-8?B?QlR1UDdCcHd5K2JYYWVqamNHTEZZblhDMFlFT0NMSUVQNzZQbFB3eXhhdEpz?=
 =?utf-8?B?NDBSYm40UTl4VEp5cm1CRDBRTDZwdkF1VDFzV1pKN0M1M3h0L0diczV6OGw4?=
 =?utf-8?B?cUNsN0hHam5xWGlHYWsvMVpMSWVmVUlyaHlxa2lyN3BvWVFJK05OK0E2bDNS?=
 =?utf-8?B?VEhpUTgwR0FLOWp6MFBYRGR0Rk9McmVxR0FuZnM4RStkL0liWXBJbWgwMytN?=
 =?utf-8?B?L1RzQlBvbytXUGxzbVA0VEE5UThUOXlFaS8yeWhBcThjQnd0anJ2b2RpUk5o?=
 =?utf-8?B?WnhxTzZteU01VGtKOERFcmR2bEtzQUR1Y2ZSSitJMDg1cFMzSFROSzh4VVJI?=
 =?utf-8?B?RW1jLzIrSDBIMWh0QUFyaFFMeE53ay9nbUxjdFVLTHJCcnJrVlRFUTlMZFJE?=
 =?utf-8?B?dTJtYnprRUs0UHFZNVJYYWNhQnB2K2JhUmRnL1ZBZEhMQkgxMGdLQ1ZLQm5B?=
 =?utf-8?B?T0hSY244aGdrN29wcnNIVFRjdnl4Umk5azdFelJ0dmRZY1JwdExneC9EQXdH?=
 =?utf-8?B?Z1lycEtWNmN6SHBGYkxiVW1sbjlNK3N5eGE3RTVqbVpmRVBZdkQzeXFYaGJi?=
 =?utf-8?B?MzE4U1BRQWJSVk8vMHdDY2FjUDNDc3lsMzhOQ0FmandDZjhnTmdTbmtZQXp5?=
 =?utf-8?B?bEpBbERYWm9PZXg4eTVBSDc2NHBLakROTGhIWUhQYmR4cXNBdXhpY2lUOTBI?=
 =?utf-8?B?Yk5GenJQaVJSa3dDUG01R3VqajhudjBReTFpdlI0dmtqSUh0T2ExbDBaQ05l?=
 =?utf-8?B?M3FYZHBMOGxKVUIvYmdxVm51azRNeldIT1ZuYzZ0TnFXYy8vZjRQZHJ3VDlI?=
 =?utf-8?Q?aQqfSh4mIWEnDkqd5xjg/deyja4ZHnX+/O+6hj93Ja2c=3D?=
X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount: 1
X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:
	=?utf-8?B?dUk3ajlnbGx0T0dnZGxnV0N0QWk3ZmJ4YXpuVFNNT3dyL0hQejlMNVBMWkJV?=
 =?utf-8?B?YUQ5RkdmY29XZVRIU2hxMTlJdlIvMTJ4b3ZXeVF6NFQreGx4QVByRitnWlBN?=
 =?utf-8?B?SHhkbmQwandpMTUxVGhJeTdYNDhGRkUrdnk2blFvbFE2R3JZM1FFVzNHTDk3?=
 =?utf-8?B?a2hTT2NTREtHKzc1cDdNcjZ3TmpOL2lYS3ZUcTlaVEY5UFhMK0g1ZjF4aFpt?=
 =?utf-8?B?QmRFWGt2ejI1N29VYjYyTnFVSlVJUHVEN3NyRGhNaVRLd1VwOE9pdkl6c2t1?=
 =?utf-8?B?K0NvMmRiQ2dLbEczaHpnYkVwa0RrMTlCZnFHMlJaVklOTmdsSnVob1R6RzNo?=
 =?utf-8?B?VmZOV0xuS2NuVnRRRzB1RUUyQnJVbzFjM2t2elZFUzVZYjRiYTZaWm00UDhl?=
 =?utf-8?B?TmwwUDlENkJCeCs4T0FUdTUxZjZBMTV1TDMvbTVtUk9lSVZYRlhLYXU1emZm?=
 =?utf-8?B?dFBXS0NMRjl4dUlWb3g5YWYyb0M2RnVOSTlPWTZOaTE2TmZEQ3FRQzdiMC9l?=
 =?utf-8?B?d2pzeTZPcDhIQVNBa0lVSHVERkx3UGI1bEM2TzA2N2NVWG1ibGhMWlRxQW1z?=
 =?utf-8?B?T0o0ODdYcEg3NTE5VG1rY3RNelIyNnhiYlBFVmtBMFR1RktpSG12ZGw0U1lE?=
 =?utf-8?B?dU5vdU9nSDVJcXpTMjEvekhQTUlGYWg0cE9aZEIzd2ZPbURuZGlURjdLRUtn?=
 =?utf-8?B?aHRFckdlUldVVG9SSit0ekhXVkdWRHNiUlI4aG4ycmRtRzdORmdwMWlJT0VR?=
 =?utf-8?B?UE5oMW1Fb3pyQm9BZGl5WVZYTFdmNXNKSWxOL2hlTFI3YlBMRVkvaThRZDkz?=
 =?utf-8?B?amhtc1BnMmtJM053ZmY0NEEyd0ZYOGx4VW1EcitDY0lreHYvUVVjdm5jbXU4?=
 =?utf-8?B?WmFPZDdMcThhd2dVcy9pbzN2RW9Jbmc5dWNxeWltQXp6N3hVdHNBRk0wT3Vj?=
 =?utf-8?B?QlFWdjdGekxVOU13ZGZoWEZNdmRra0dDcWx2T1FjZUdkOUk0K2E0aThPUy9r?=
 =?utf-8?B?UU10Rk5JTXVXdy8zYkszK3B3c1pmQk1QWlhLV21sRm5QQ1g0ZmlYaXNDaGtG?=
 =?utf-8?B?dmhXdmg3SThDRlkwNU1KcHNJTHNQVmlDcC9VRHk4eFdFOHh0VCtkZkowL21z?=
 =?utf-8?B?VXhLRFhwUnRIUlZUU1RVNHoxeGkwMEZoTXFFVUx0QWhnVXcxVExTV2ozdzdn?=
 =?utf-8?B?Tm5rYXFSVGxMNHZ5Nkd1S0hONjhVUjdDczJiRm5mYlpkQTBhcGFyVmtLVFRO?=
 =?utf-8?B?cmFZLzQzb3k0bjZoSTJjTStibzlwUFUxWWlXWlVXT1FSc1BKQVJVRENhUTFU?=
 =?utf-8?B?ZXF4c3dNRUlRZUxyTDBYNXBzZitwb0hMZndvSkw2L0RMSWJkaVVYODIzdU5D?=
 =?utf-8?B?N2w2NU1qZzRnUkFFMnBqc2ZuV3g3UkVDQmRxYjc0cFJGdkN2WXQ5dlJxb29o?=
 =?utf-8?B?bkRBNEdHdTRvV2hFcHB1b2hzMldBRzZ5T3VMRGlWaCtNT2ZseWpOWjRHOHRN?=
 =?utf-8?B?S0J2UGwvbkplU0ZzWmxvaXhTaHFPTnNrQ2lWUEgwbEJ0RnZxREk1ZU9CTk1Q?=
 =?utf-8?B?MDRtM3Y1NlhUMmRUTXEwRHhjR28vNSswODJuNmlMUjAxY0x5bXFXaWVUTVk4?=
 =?utf-8?B?SjlJMVM3a2RUaXVMUW1ZWkNxZHRhMkFGdm03QU5JSkZUdEZ6b2R4UUduSmN6?=
 =?utf-8?B?aGl4RmMrSC8zY044U0JjVlFibUdpLzhxYjBZY3BLbXhjWTdCS1JzUmcxWXpw?=
 =?utf-8?B?NGUxcGNRclVPSnY2RXNkbVBVc2pmejAvaWNiRmhKZ2xnenJhd0QrcEZpLzZM?=
 =?utf-8?B?RkNPY2wwVXhqcWJxL1FFTWdtTjI0WG1CK2JVZStvQ1NWVUQyQVhVc2NQVWlr?=
 =?utf-8?Q?gw88B4rzcIfcJ?=
X-OriginatorOrg: sct-15-20-9412-4-msonline-outlook-a6b68.templateTenant
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-Network-Message-Id: 7931c2d6-0378-4721-74ab-08df22fd0be2
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-AuthSource: SA1PR11MB8811.namprd11.prod.outlook.com
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-AuthAs: Internal
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-OriginalArrivalTime: 05 Oct 2026 16:23:53.6042
 (UTC)
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-FromEntityHeader: Hosted
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-Id: 84df9e7f-e9f6-40af-b435-aaaaaaaaaaaa
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-RMS-PersistedConsumerOrg:
	00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
X-MS-Exchange-Transport-CrossTenantHeadersStamped: PH0PR11MB4950
X-Spamd-Bar: +
X-Spamd-Result: default: False [1.50 / 15.00];
	FORGED_MUA_THUNDERBIRD_MSGID_UNKNOWN(2.50)[];
	SUBJECT_ENDS_QUESTION(1.00)[];
	ARC_ALLOW(-1.00)[microsoft.com:s=arcselector10001:i=1];
	DMARC_POLICY_ALLOW(-0.50)[hotmail.com,none];
	R_DKIM_ALLOW(-0.20)[hotmail.com:s=selector1];
	R_SPF_ALLOW(-0.20)[+ip4:52.103.0.0/17];
	MIME_GOOD(-0.10)[text/plain];
	ASN(0.00)[asn:8075, ipnet:52.96.0.0/12, country:US];
	MIME_TRACE(0.00)[0:+];
	FREEMAIL_FROM(0.00)[hotmail.com];
	TO_DN_SOME(0.00)[];
	RCVD_IN_DNSWL_NONE(0.00)[52.103.20.1:from];
	FREEMAIL_ENVFROM(0.00)[hotmail.com];
	DKIM_TRACE(0.00)[hotmail.com:+];
	MLMMJ_DEST(0.00)[ports-secteam@FreeBSD.org,questions@freebsd.org];
	FREEMAIL_TO(0.00)[gmail.com,FreeBSD.org];
	FROM_EQ_ENVFROM(0.00)[];
	FROM_HAS_DN(0.00)[];
	RWL_MAILSPIKE_POSSIBLE(0.00)[52.103.20.1:from];
	RCVD_COUNT_TWO(0.00)[2];
	DWL_DNSWL_NONE(0.00)[hotmail.com:dkim];
	TO_MATCH_ENVRCPT_SOME(0.00)[];
	RCVD_TLS_LAST(0.00)[];
	RCPT_COUNT_THREE(0.00)[3]
X-Rspamd-Queue-Id: 4hz4TC29prz4LMM

On 10/5/26 07:50, Erichans wrote:
> Thank you for responding.
> 
> On Mon, Oct 5, 2026 at 12:58 AM Edward Sanford Sutton, III
> <mirror176@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 10/2/26 05:02, Erichans wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> What is the policy of the FreeBSD project regarding
>>> the propagation of CVE mitigations from the ports tree to
>>> the FreeBSD package servers?
>>
>>     To clarify, are you asking about packages for the kmods package
>> repository?
> Yes, that is correct.

I don't know who is best to contact to get a rebuild to happen there but 
ports-secteam is usually a good point of contact about security issues 
so I'm including them; maybe worth asking if they could get a nudge to 
happen on those buildservers for this reason. I had to remove OS+arch at 
the end of the CPE string to lookup in the NVD and none of the entries 
are in our vulnerability database (would make users get alerts to issues 
but don't know if it forces any rebuilds to try to happen sooner). Link 
to CVEs for that version is

https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/search?cpeFilterMode=cpe&cpeName=cpe:2.3:a:oracle:vm_virtualbox:7.2.8:*:*:*:*:*:*:*&resultType=records

Figuring out when CVEs do vs do not apply to FreeBSD is often beyond my 
ability but if these apply then they may warrant a vulnerability 
database entry. Skimming them by description sounds like its mentioning 
that with login access to the host could crash and alter guest virtual 
machines that execute on it and they suspect it could be used to reach 
out to non-virtualbox things as well.

>> Once a port is updated in a ports tree it will impact
>> packages that form from that tree but the kmods repo does build on a
>> different cycle than the main packages.
>>     When users don't use the kmods repo they get the main build sequence
>> but that causes issues for kernel modules as the main package repos
>> build everything against 15.0 until its not supported and then will
>> finally switch to 15.1. Most packages are fine with this while kmods are
>> most likely to become incompatible which becomes particularly common for
>> the modules using the Linux abi/kpi.
> 15.1-RELEASE users that use the FreeBSD package servers and need
> a package matching their kernel only have access to:
> FreeBSD-ports-kmods  emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod-72
> virtualbox-ose-kmod-72  7.2.8.1501000
> 
> According to a commit of 2026-06-17, that version already had
> several CVE related issues:
> emulators/virtualbox-ose{,-additions,-kmod}-72: Update 7.2.8 => 7.2.10 (10 CVEs)
> https://cgit.freebsd.org/ports/commit/emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod-72?id=bbd7ab52a8a20722c901b3e4950cbb7e2b52581c
> 
> To emphasize, users of release versions have their kmods repo
> enabled by default for quarterly (for which the package is still
> not available: [1] ). Optionally, they can switch to latest. I am
> not aware of any FreeBSD advice, CVE related or otherwise,
> that encourages or explicitly directs users to disable their kmods repo.
> 
>>     I'm not sure why kmods receive an order to be built that is separate
>> from when the main packages do but ordering the kmods builds happen from
>> the same ports tree commit as the main build packages are made from and
>> then release them at the same time seems like a more reliable solution
>> albeit with a little bit more work for the builders.
> Hence my questions concerning the CVE mitigations.
> 
>>
>>> Regarding a specific example, the commit
>>> "emulators/virtualbox-ose-*72: Update 7.2.16 => 7.2.18 (19 CVEs)":
>>> https://cgit.freebsd.org/ports/commit/emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod-72?id=13ab7c594392a69c355c4e6d38491587b9a39d7c
>>> was not propagated to the FreeBSD-ports-kmods repository.
>>> Why?
>>>
>>> This means packages with these CVE mitigations were not
>>> made available to users of:
>>> - 15.1-RELEASE quarterly
>>> - 15.1-RELEASE latest
>>>
>>> With respect to these CVE mitigations, it's remarkable that*:
>>> 15.1-RELEASE pkg users do not have access to
>>> virtualbox-ose-kmod-72-7.2.18.1501000
>>> as opposed to:
>>> 15.0-RELEASE pkg users        have access to
>>> virtualbox-ose-kmod-72-7.2.18.1500068
>>>
>>> The commit was on 2026-09-16. Today, Thu Oct  2
>>> (16 days later), the package still isn't available in
>>> FreeBSD-ports-kmods for 15.1-RELEASE (or, as of 2026Q4,
>>> not yet in FreeBSD-ports)*. As to the packages, I was
>>> expecting a delay of a few days after the commit date.
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Eric
>>>
>>>
>>> P.S. In the context of FreeBSD-ports-kmods, I find it
>>> noteworthy that a question on the freebsd-questions ML
>>> has been left unanswered:
>>> Re: FreeBSD-ports-kmods repo not updated since May?
>>> https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-questions/2026-August/008106.html
>>>
>>>
>>> * For latest on 15.1-RELEASE:
>>> [0-0] # date -u
>>> Fri Oct  2 09:37:23 UTC 2026
>>> [1-0] # pkg rquery -x '%R %o %n %v' 'virtualbox-ose(-kmod)?-72' | column -t
>>> FreeBSD-ports        emulators/virtualbox-ose-72
>>> virtualbox-ose-72       7.2.18
>>> FreeBSD-ports        emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod-72
>>> virtualbox-ose-kmod-72  7.2.18.1500068
>>> FreeBSD-ports-kmods  emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod-72
>>> virtualbox-ose-kmod-72  7.2.8.1501000
>>> [2-0] #
>>>
>>> Missing:
>>> FreeBSD-ports-kmods  emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod-72
>>> virtualbox-ose-kmod-72  7.2.18.1501000
>>
> ---
> Eric
> 
> [1] For quarterly, using 15.1-RELEASE:
> [0-0] # date -u
> Mon Oct  5 14:47:13 UTC 2026
> [1-0] # pkg rquery -x '%R %o %n %v' 'virtualbox-ose(-kmod)?-72' | column -t
> FreeBSD-ports        emulators/virtualbox-ose-72
> virtualbox-ose-72       7.2.18
> FreeBSD-ports        emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod-72
> virtualbox-ose-kmod-72  7.2.18.1500068
> FreeBSD-ports-kmods  emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod-72
> virtualbox-ose-kmod-72  7.2.8.1501000
> 
> Missing:
> virtualbox-ose-kmod-72, version 7.2.18.1501000


From nobody Mon Oct  5 17:56:11 2026
X-Original-To: freebsd-questions@mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org
Received: from mx1.freebsd.org (mx1.freebsd.org [IPv6:2610:1c1:1:606c::19:1])
	by mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 4hz6Wt26zKz6nDKW
	for <freebsd-questions@mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org>; Mon, 05 Oct 2026 17:56:26 +0000 (UTC)
	(envelope-from adrian.chadd@gmail.com)
Received: from mail-yx2-f38.google.com (mail-yx2-f38.google.com [74.125.224.166])
	(using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256 (128/128 bits)
	 key-exchange x25519 server-signature RSA-PSS (4096 bits) server-digest SHA256
	 client-signature RSA-PSS (2048 bits) client-digest SHA256)
	(Client CN "smtp.gmail.com", Issuer "WR4" (verified OK))
	by mx1.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 4hz6Wr3tGyz4cJT
	for <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>; Mon, 05 Oct 2026 17:56:24 +0000 (UTC)
	(envelope-from adrian.chadd@gmail.com)
Authentication-Results: mx1.freebsd.org;
	dkim=none;
	arc=pass ("google.com:s=arc-20260327:i=1");
	spf=pass (mx1.freebsd.org: domain of adrian.chadd@gmail.com designates 74.125.224.166 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=adrian.chadd@gmail.com;
	dmarc=fail reason="SPF not aligned (relaxed), No valid DKIM" header.from=freebsd.org (policy=none)
Received: by mail-yx2-f38.google.com with SMTP id 956f58d0204a3-6768036283dso1544111d50.0
        for <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>; Mon, 05 Oct 2026 10:56:24 -0700 (PDT)
ARC-Seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1791222983; cv=none;
        d=google.com; s=arc-20260327;
        b=iW3kFufbSg6POMLQ9YaYkkGPC5Ppo546oUUcbcS9RMHv/NPVhWB31TmB4gTrujOZOn
         esRdR22+TlJ4JVGo7p+gR0XEJbxnBtRWlxx3kAPOO2uI8c++GBgS6Q99KkDJKGZIBgl7
         vpwI7gyEtFa0q7YGGeLIIRvvtN7HP4D75NIw/IHRC+O4bwbV8SZYuwCzzb6V/dIfai8H
         9DpJ7HUatkUNleLhUMH7oIRolxsK6c7Be5TDsoWMPuasjilSuLWLgltG8P1bRpOlhpvI
         DNhv+TZO+l1+g27nVKn+w0UHbpia2T3hWjWXtldg2i6HqyVh4+hPAiR860qqBJevUQ52
         6Faw==
ARC-Message-Signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20260327;
        h=cc:to:subject:message-id:date:from:in-reply-to:references
         :mime-version;
        bh=Ee6RAhp4ocNVtouvLkVm/4gVxgyQDVBCHpqhjf2qOHg=;
        fh=wfl9Hb/vUxqtEvgkRtlOhU0Bxknuu+06/K+UmYG9nj8=;
        b=aPHGSxLs4CRobcgU7se03iQx3ciKXAzx2DJSj1rTo0ToR5GUMQcre/sYtYUCHb4bWV
         U0pehEZNagDdkMXGuRM98vI0Zs8jiL0A59fCKGWd9yBiA/6SK5MSXvg/dmd8mvQ5QpVL
         ULFMDrlkQ+oTA2eillOBRvdZKvkqpNBbm7Vj4knCSalRkYg4UFJzxUJKazYznut1sqOl
         6a1vQnf4v5JMCdonJs2S7CqQEJu4UETyYJojRYITnNalOGZP7dwlewYhtK6qua3xCSUc
         g6LB85/uPyBO+bKkn9KRW98lzB9PMxwFHU1femtPbw/aI6yw/BVAb9MDbUm+XhQl7YaF
         O+nA==;
        darn=freebsd.org
ARC-Authentication-Results: i=1; mx.google.com; arc=none
X-Google-DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;
        d=1e100.net; s=20260707; t=1791222983; x=1791827783;
        h=content-type:cc:to:subject:message-id:date:from:in-reply-to
         :references:mime-version:x-gm-gg:x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc
         :subject:date:message-id:reply-to:content-type;
        bh=Ee6RAhp4ocNVtouvLkVm/4gVxgyQDVBCHpqhjf2qOHg=;
        b=tJZfdr5EmXHVXnZZVncEeFcvnZL7Qltlh7hgTKKFTOEDVICe8B415cohVKdAkpxUud
         6aUYEmWqMujUo8txj22joMYGuGYfqYxTKApQ8T+rWXnBF7Tml8KZlejyrikRMwP2760H
         jRzaRCYq9o8i0yHeZiTRYWMas5dZC6gptCEy2kVDD5GocuJQAD77tT/Vzp/GDpQ2eRYv
         7SCfqMZNptkvf16oNzHJ2DpzhmHQ6cgGmG2vmXaR01xs+uF8hn5SO90Oh8M5QnPg5D6Q
         AA5hAswx4HNFbkJa+5TQvyUp4AmnL3tyFFw0/Q8BllX/KLH8rFzBLp7Rxjpx+UFi0e6B
         bXtw==
X-Gm-Message-State: AFq9FYLRUkaWeAAC2kq8JO+JMTF/hBjKlbF+3sNtoeChsql4JVvL7Tb3
	pfAIv45kX2Ydo5TWSpikqrGe5aTYtai+/kLU+kLY7xzfi8AS+ZcW7CPpN258BEnh2KS5fdM75VZ
	k9jH8GbOPJ01Lh+IpguHoqdeLPae0guWGGw==
X-Gm-Gg: AYBFou2k6hQBgfengqcSUyMuuYgcUZTn0brAY6qDTE3IXBNbIBd1BSPJ4R5cx3A+NR9
	KpklBctZaClTHCPkS9ys5cxOPaTe4FcvWfy6MmOrD0yonp2Vp9RWzY5CkNVEbM4SKD1O+1JMaiq
	5dtmFYcsO/0eRVDDI48EAmgbkaeKxIur6MXVX13XrlC75F9+sl1TNjsGJUnA9qaCXBsdHXTFuWw
	+VVHzhVMz0IADqL/+Q2jTnc7LW4cJtnCYtw4jKvavVTYiLkU5xFiWeLqAlVzKmQRzBpV/ihx+LA
	XW6N8zcVaZg0Bih+Yq2WGtcsAGmj7KRvQcSzVa0ndgNeFuGvvQX5SEPidH0POnC1mO5+c0JpQ1Y
	zWS7QUqE95UeB/ex6szq1bxNNIScvq1fOlvIxYzBYKPIWXSd6dL78Fuk4UvXB4xcDkchJH2SLx1
	S1L6TJLeMB/mkZosBgHzT7bCtZZJ7SwGKxGq6nG3jZym7mj9Xt42TYusfv
X-Received: by 2002:a05:690e:d01:b0:677:b93a:c4fa with SMTP id
 956f58d0204a3-677b93ac8bdmr2555893d50.12.1791222983434; Mon, 05 Oct 2026
 10:56:23 -0700 (PDT)
List-Id: User questions <freebsd-questions.freebsd.org>
List-Archive: https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-questions
List-Help: <mailto:questions+help@freebsd.org>
List-Post: <mailto:questions@freebsd.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:questions+subscribe@freebsd.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:questions+unsubscribe@freebsd.org>
X-BeenThere: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
List-Id: <freebsd-questions.FreeBSD.org>
List-Post: <mailto:freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
List-Help: <mailto:freebsd-questions+help@FreeBSD.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:freebsd-questions+subscribe@FreeBSD.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:freebsd-questions+unsubscribe@FreeBSD.org>
List-Owner: <mailto:postmaster@FreeBSD.org>
Precedence: list
MIME-Version: 1.0
References: <d06f565d-2fa7-a4a9-d39-dede850c8e0@puchar.net> <119h6ed$fiu$2@gal.iecc.com>
In-Reply-To: <119h6ed$fiu$2@gal.iecc.com>
From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2026 10:56:11 -0700
X-Gm-Features: AclHuK_5m5AzznIPv1La-kTDg0q9rUAI27Ogy1sjFbWop3Mc1IleYtL8pKI1Quk
Message-ID: <CAJ-VmokhPMx4YSfnHgJDuE6CbPAfKXzZ3Z2+r+6=et2oZe5Stg@mail.gmail.com>
Subject: Re: what exactly that message mean?
To: John Levine <johnl@iecc.com>
Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="000000000000a4266e065d1b99e9"
X-Spamd-Bar: /
X-Spamd-Result: default: False [0.10 / 15.00];
	ARC_ALLOW(-1.00)[google.com:s=arc-20260327:i=1];
	SUBJECT_ENDS_QUESTION(1.00)[];
	FORGED_SENDER(0.30)[adrian@freebsd.org,adrianchadd@gmail.com];
	R_SPF_ALLOW(-0.20)[+ip4:74.125.0.0/16];
	DMARC_POLICY_SOFTFAIL(0.10)[freebsd.org : SPF not aligned (relaxed), No valid DKIM,none];
	MIME_GOOD(-0.10)[multipart/alternative,text/plain];
	RWL_MAILSPIKE_POSSIBLE(0.00)[74.125.224.166:from];
	RCVD_COUNT_ONE(0.00)[1];
	TO_DN_SOME(0.00)[];
	ASN(0.00)[asn:15169, ipnet:74.125.0.0/16, country:US];
	MIME_TRACE(0.00)[0:+,1:+,2:~];
	RCPT_COUNT_TWO(0.00)[2];
	R_DKIM_NA(0.00)[];
	MLMMJ_DEST(0.00)[freebsd-questions@freebsd.org];
	FROM_NEQ_ENVFROM(0.00)[adrian@freebsd.org,adrianchadd@gmail.com];
	FROM_HAS_DN(0.00)[];
	FREEMAIL_ENVFROM(0.00)[gmail.com];
	TO_MATCH_ENVRCPT_SOME(0.00)[];
	RCVD_TLS_LAST(0.00)[];
	PREVIOUSLY_DELIVERED(0.00)[freebsd-questions@freebsd.org];
	ALIAS_RESOLVED(0.00)[];
	MISSING_XM_UA(0.00)[]
X-Rspamd-Queue-Id: 4hz6Wr3tGyz4cJT

--000000000000a4266e065d1b99e9
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"

On Tue, 29 Sept 2026 at 13:43, John Levine <johnl@iecc.com> wrote:

> According to Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@puchar.net>:
> >swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: bufobj: 0, blkno: 7415651, size: 4096
>
> I see it a fair amount on a small and very overloaded VPS so it
> appears to be an indirect way to say it's hopelessly thrashing.
>
> I agree that there are a lot of unhelpful comments about it.
>
>
I just looked at the code in sys/vm/swap_pager.c .

It prints it after a 20 second sleep waiting for the read to complete.




-adrian

--000000000000a4266e065d1b99e9
Content-Type: text/html; charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div dir=3D"ltr"><br></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote g=
mail_quote_container"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Tue, 29 Sept=
 2026 at 13:43, John Levine &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:johnl@iecc.com">johnl@iec=
c.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"ma=
rgin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:=
1ex">According to Wojciech Puchar &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:wojtek@puchar.net" =
target=3D"_blank">wojtek@puchar.net</a>&gt;:<br>
&gt;swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: bufobj: 0, blkno: 7415651, size: 40=
96<br>
<br>
I see it a fair amount on a small and very overloaded VPS so it<br>
appears to be an indirect way to say it&#39;s hopelessly thrashing.<br>
<br>
I agree that there are a lot of unhelpful comments about it.<br><br></block=
quote><div><br></div><div>I just looked at the code in sys/vm/swap_pager.c =
.=C2=A0</div><div><br></div><div>It prints it after a 20 second sleep waiti=
ng for the read to complete.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></=
div><div><br></div><div>-adrian</div><div><br></div></div></div>

--000000000000a4266e065d1b99e9--

From nobody Mon Oct  5 18:04:06 2026
X-Original-To: questions@mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org
Received: from mx1.freebsd.org (mx1.freebsd.org [IPv6:2610:1c1:1:606c::19:1])
	by mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 4hz6j06Llrz6nFRh
	for <questions@mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org>; Mon, 05 Oct 2026 18:04:20 +0000 (UTC)
	(envelope-from mirror176@hotmail.com)
Received: from BYAPR05CU005.outbound.protection.outlook.com (mail-westusazolkn190100003.outbound.protection.outlook.com [IPv6:2a01:111:f403:d001::3])
	(using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (256/256 bits)
	 key-exchange secp384r1 server-signature RSA-PSS (4096 bits) server-digest SHA256
	 client-signature RSA-PSS (2048 bits) client-digest SHA256)
	(Client CN "mail.protection.outlook.com", Issuer "DigiCert SHA2 Secure Server CA" (not verified))
	by mx1.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 4hz6hz4D76z4ddk
	for <questions@freebsd.org>; Mon, 05 Oct 2026 18:04:19 +0000 (UTC)
	(envelope-from mirror176@hotmail.com)
Authentication-Results: mx1.freebsd.org;
	dkim=pass header.d=hotmail.com header.s=selector1 header.b=IG4Eq5pW;
	arc=pass ("microsoft.com:s=arcselector10001:i=1");
	spf=pass (mx1.freebsd.org: domain of mirror176@hotmail.com designates 2a01:111:f403:d001::3 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=mirror176@hotmail.com;
	dmarc=pass (policy=none) header.from=hotmail.com
ARC-Seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector10001; d=microsoft.com; cv=none;
 b=N2bqFp9oBK4BWByxt4zBMQEmhktb9qUffmVclLauG8+IvKCeWA5VhTtv5lEA0CD1y1cZHfluPcAVQ/jYAY9xhOajWELgTMhfhx+X6F+nWGMQPR5s6enK44zoYtkc1u91N0AatShcL2EFw9N+dZupH161DCVO+9YR0FN8FzPq7hFOj+bGu48c2HPszzVOv9ZmZ4w4Uzu52iDsjbD4Pl43E11f99P1sgb0Cj6JiXycn2DG1Y7K+sshzaROL961+MtAQYT1BibCqm+BByy8qVWOqKX0ocxD2e4ijNY9sOMPyx4TSmAtKSHkKF0W4/UU/x52LSMqB8xgBNLBsfO4pkojGQ==
ARC-Message-Signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com;
 s=arcselector10001;
 h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1;
 bh=jvFdwvL4ZAWLJM0MvenFDW5kg0y13GRWQLHEOGXFwZA=;
 b=rRw/igGl6SPzFkg9DF8rzuxqzxPv54CqJLx1PMobg/R7J3V7lGrI5mWXvbS2JLrTixb6iYpb6fYFZsSVNB25EBkpy3s6JoejaCnOW23YXIbp2nZuJhnOOesqK5aa+CnzhAPii2FeYZI8lNvvnwZIuT6sx6Zm6dEg9BpTJINGf0J1ArUx6rCJHddyzDW9Yj5vJYbvUkivklc5oQFwJniqqXjFOG2FGXu7vE2Xxg48CwJf8dE/OFwx2w7ge7WauAYgxXhiMPfWCC7v2A6nsi3crK+PeEooUXsNlk7B4wujSh5ReUimHPLL4KNKgiSNPMjzMsefyPO7cSIyZWcdLCNhzA==
ARC-Authentication-Results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=none; dmarc=none;
 dkim=none; arc=none
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=hotmail.com;
 s=selector1;
 h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-SenderADCheck;
 bh=jvFdwvL4ZAWLJM0MvenFDW5kg0y13GRWQLHEOGXFwZA=;
 b=IG4Eq5pWLebKijlt0VN0KPqSNGu5GBtldo5/ZzVMja6YJZXuLV0prd0mq12lx0d7PR6gXCodGiLJDuBk4S8F4mh8Ood5FNdjqLBe4dDdDDEH/1epfwKemu8TWwLwtuOiK3SBryFPbJMe/Z2lAx9SRweILrvtuksjRQSrgrPtLn/3PFwDLqi3sqJGTvp7MrRlMSonSkuOfAaI9cToG8ycnbPCvJ2anpGFxnO3RO0F7x292j4d1a+qWRk/8DBQjvv2YJqSX4eL8fy+q0cke7oqbBh3h5vrEyts0uZR/yX9RgIIxmxs90XPBGdMax/uE4fRZ9lfZxUml5cahRwcOH/5SQ==
Received: from SA1PR11MB8811.namprd11.prod.outlook.com (2603:10b6:806:467::18)
 by SA1PR11MB9614.namprd11.prod.outlook.com (2603:10b6:806:4c4::11) with
 Microsoft SMTP Server (version=TLS1_2,
 cipher=TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384) id 15.21.472.20; Mon, 5 Oct
 2026 18:04:10 +0000
Received: from SA1PR11MB8811.namprd11.prod.outlook.com
 ([fe80::5fae:75f1:3548:9369]) by SA1PR11MB8811.namprd11.prod.outlook.com
 ([fe80::5fae:75f1:3548:9369%5]) with mapi id 15.21.0472.016; Mon, 5 Oct 2026
 18:04:10 +0000
Message-ID:
 <SA1PR11MB88111B3489A218EA479EEB93E6962@SA1PR11MB8811.namprd11.prod.outlook.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2026 11:04:06 -0700
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird
Subject: Re: what exactly that message mean?
To: questions@freebsd.org
References: <d06f565d-2fa7-a4a9-d39-dede850c8e0@puchar.net>
 <119h6ed$fiu$2@gal.iecc.com>
 <CAJ-VmokhPMx4YSfnHgJDuE6CbPAfKXzZ3Z2+r+6=et2oZe5Stg@mail.gmail.com>
Content-Language: en-US
From: "Edward Sanford Sutton, III" <mirror176@hotmail.com>
In-Reply-To: <CAJ-VmokhPMx4YSfnHgJDuE6CbPAfKXzZ3Z2+r+6=et2oZe5Stg@mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-ClientProxiedBy: MN0P221CA0029.NAMP221.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM
 (2603:10b6:208:52a::20) To SA1PR11MB8811.namprd11.prod.outlook.com
 (2603:10b6:806:467::18)
X-Microsoft-Original-Message-ID:
 <a21425d3-ace5-4ebb-b629-cda6ef03761c@hotmail.com>
List-Id: User questions <freebsd-questions.freebsd.org>
List-Archive: https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-questions
List-Help: <mailto:questions+help@freebsd.org>
List-Post: <mailto:questions@freebsd.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:questions+subscribe@freebsd.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:questions+unsubscribe@freebsd.org>
X-BeenThere: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
List-Id: <freebsd-questions.FreeBSD.org>
List-Post: <mailto:freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
List-Help: <mailto:freebsd-questions+help@FreeBSD.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:freebsd-questions+subscribe@FreeBSD.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:freebsd-questions+unsubscribe@FreeBSD.org>
List-Owner: <mailto:postmaster@FreeBSD.org>
Precedence: list
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-MS-Exchange-MessageSentRepresentingType: 1
X-MS-PublicTrafficType: Email
X-MS-TrafficTypeDiagnostic: SA1PR11MB8811:EE_|SA1PR11MB9614:EE_
X-MS-Office365-Filtering-Correlation-Id: 73494a61-e872-426b-ce06-08df230b0ddc
X-Microsoft-Antispam:
	BCL:0;ARA:14566002|20031999006|24121999003|22091999003|25031999004|24021099003|6090799003|25010399006|4140399003|15080799012|24071999003|23021999003|5072599009|19110799012|8060799015|12121999013|39105399006|40105399003|25131999003|2607281247196008|440099028|3412199025;
X-Microsoft-Antispam-Message-Info:
	=?utf-8?B?Q3AzbmtQa0RlWldnYVlDd3NxNEgrTXJkYlRNR0VQVkRTWnBxbHNnQlNPcndm?=
 =?utf-8?B?ZlhsNHBGMkFBczhFOU5uQm1yYUFRS3gxQ28xV2ZRRm90YmZXTnlEbHFwSzJr?=
 =?utf-8?B?TDRvWk5WSHhDbXkxaHZzMTJWZ2tyd21ORWMxZjJFV1c0TkVxbTVDK040SDRT?=
 =?utf-8?B?S1NXMzRLalZGMm1yL1crUzN0WVF6N3dncDFObElZNEc1RWZPWHZaUmJOY0dy?=
 =?utf-8?B?Q09tVG1IOXVEYVhvRWhYWGNpUVdRVDVWWXhGbjBsb01TQzdOOGFqNFRRYzdG?=
 =?utf-8?B?RUVYcVlBMEE4VVFnbnowNmZDb1hIS0RtdG9pY2FiRmJETWRiVFRHR05mbGls?=
 =?utf-8?B?bEdsakM5eGF3eHFzZnd0THl3NlNhazhYVFJyUStXL1JUTTVkYk9sa0VzSWgr?=
 =?utf-8?B?QVA0VXBuL3FWYVZBMmR4T242VXBrTml4TCtad09FZzhaVVFYdzdIaFQ5M1Er?=
 =?utf-8?B?NTgyTWd6Z08wWldmUGlmU1R1dEpoY0wvK3ZhN2xEWTd3a0dFUENuZWE3TU9t?=
 =?utf-8?B?SC83YlNQdGxXekFIeGRyaXI4bVBKZngyNmVzZ29FWFlLYWYybStNZmpxR2pM?=
 =?utf-8?B?aTNWSUJ0UEFLSGpLU1hqNzJHaUNhNWZTUUJNTnYrYUdNRGJTOVNFWHAyQ1ox?=
 =?utf-8?B?YVg4Z2lGZVEwaXhlZUhpTmJuakNLOWRldEpVY0FWVkdCZ3MxN0xPaXpndHFO?=
 =?utf-8?B?UGJuOTBEZmlXNXJjZE9UOTdUWEU5UkxyV2pJQWtSZkdvT0dkcDVNV1VOWjZO?=
 =?utf-8?B?THhWa01zVERZd1ZVNDAxVXdOenM2YWQyT1h5Rm1vYUpaajBJNGFka3VIdjhu?=
 =?utf-8?B?YTExZ29CN2V4Qmx0RVM4bnhRRUUvV3o2YlZpSVJlTytGZkRKN2dNajlwVDVL?=
 =?utf-8?B?Mis0bjlkSEVuWFZNRWlpbVBMOW9wRWlDMDZsU2x6Zkwxa1orUHlnUXdsRVBP?=
 =?utf-8?B?c2JLdTV6YWVScUYwOEdSMUQzUmVPUXhsYSsrNTFETXh0NVNjc0hHNnpmYVJZ?=
 =?utf-8?B?Ymd1RHAxaGlrRExhRURlMmc5cG5OMm8vUUlEYWdVYjFlbERvN0lpVFBJSk4y?=
 =?utf-8?B?eTRPNHBEKzJsencyYzQxR0Yrc0pObTdUNldxbE5SZk9aSHE5N3NwZVJoTkcy?=
 =?utf-8?B?M3poa2tLLzV5a05wdEVWa0RQUGxCUHcwUnJYaVE1WTZibXJPOXZwdkVRaGNI?=
 =?utf-8?B?TVBZcG4xeG5jeGpEaURhdnJTR2xZa2NxUnRHNk1EcHNMWDhZcUd6bEMvZ3RT?=
 =?utf-8?B?ZHozNjZhWGdKOWFGaHJEMnV0NVVaUm5NaVVKNzF6d3lDbCsvSW1OMS8wYVRz?=
 =?utf-8?B?QUdyTzVsVlEwaVZHQkNVOHZCcDJLQ1pHREp4cDBEN0cyczZKb2J6NkNOdWE4?=
 =?utf-8?B?UGZ2aE9rZWIxMms1ZjJQYk5PVFNvZnJTSVQ5dEtoOUd4MjVSck9oQlZkR2p3?=
 =?utf-8?B?Z0xHUFFKUFpVRWZsZjRKRE5JY3NMMnJJZHJhWEpxMk56cVBGRTRvUGZIWnN4?=
 =?utf-8?B?cGdBMWZpb3B4L2VKdkdQRkFaRERSKzVPTGpkajhVZDNjYWQyVlM1SzdBUFdY?=
 =?utf-8?Q?xSCYYJvsg5pAeMPa7MAeG1rqsgQXUt2sZpW3a3n0JNkZKH?=
X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount: 1
X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:
	=?utf-8?B?U2g1alk5a2Z5aXB0ZkdPaldFcUUxTW9zUDVBR1crNUxSaXl3TWRhYW1OOFFF?=
 =?utf-8?B?OGJvajRQVUs1WjFBVTdzRmoyY1daN3dhUmhnQ1FjT011QWxvNzZvN3ZuNmps?=
 =?utf-8?B?UXdXOUVQOGxCd0ZmUG1vMkpKdmMvSjRDajdhTW52NnM0K1lHMDIzWEJ3NTMz?=
 =?utf-8?B?WkhsR0JoQnUyT3RuV2tZUk52NTVIK1NadTdRcDlmZlFBSWZZOSsvZzBteXRl?=
 =?utf-8?B?UDNqbTZKRk5MdzNTTUtoMi9GM2hkd1NuRU5vN3lmSHRnR1h1dEdVdlpwVlpJ?=
 =?utf-8?B?YkFSTFVYSXU1Z21hK1BtaEx2MFRncXpVUE1wdFo4WTZZZmdlMUhJVHZxWlVI?=
 =?utf-8?B?VmlHODQ4UW5rNFVQTFJJaW1yeXhSSWQxRFZ4Rjc2cXlNWmZ1VnlYalBQQ0pY?=
 =?utf-8?B?OFRvSGY3eEpkb0JFSUlXU20xUG02cGZDMEMzZGM1YVpmZVQ1ak5hT0FNSEY1?=
 =?utf-8?B?Sm9TYjdrR2NXKzM0d0NDN1l6SXVGOG9rbmUyTGpGYVcrb0Z4UDRqU2w2aVRS?=
 =?utf-8?B?a1JhaDVXcHBld3JXcFgvWDhhaDBydFpuZUcreTdHSzZiZlZFR0VsUmFSVzZ5?=
 =?utf-8?B?RkZQRkh6UUhoK2NKUjV4QnJyVHpMK2lGL09Fc0hUbEhGWlVHWHJGcFpHbkhH?=
 =?utf-8?B?WUxNbFEwK3YyN2QwSjlsbzhLV0xOVFp2VGp1VHZUd1FZTGV6VzBoZThXQ01R?=
 =?utf-8?B?bFFBOWYzNU4zTkdKaU55ZG16eHBZM054TU9helc4QlkxYTFOcXBjTXd0ZTBn?=
 =?utf-8?B?WHZ2ejFhay9UU2xZSTNiaFBHYUMwVStwQkp5dnU0b3NCNGVCY1pNVnJDOUdQ?=
 =?utf-8?B?RVlMUmQ0a2lhU2R5N1BDSVBpaUxHWHBKYVNhczlyVk01TFA1OTNaWUtJUEtO?=
 =?utf-8?B?dGZYYXNSTUVvbnJqQjBiNERWZVFYUi9ieTMvcTgyRk1ScEhqT3pIOUtlS2Nu?=
 =?utf-8?B?Y1JXbHJGczMvaHBUR2FOS1dUVnlZNkEyZTljVUQ0ZlY5aUg4WkZBK3dtOGhL?=
 =?utf-8?B?S1NJWVJtUEEzbTF6NFZTVWdCcEo2MjFzYmk3SkVYVlYxR0VjWDVmWjJOMEVO?=
 =?utf-8?B?cG43VVRHY1FXaTFlQW92SGE4SW9BWSs3ZE96cW5nYy9paWVQd0hNZlBNV0JJ?=
 =?utf-8?B?TzVDNzV0a2U1V3FkVm1nQS9KejFKTkxWbkhSaDFUUS9nc3JLU0IwYzB6Sk43?=
 =?utf-8?B?RW0wWlJVZHUwZUw1dnA5TzlMN3JVOFFYSnVCOTN1NVhnQ2xHeFRrOTJWaDBa?=
 =?utf-8?B?T2RIWHBOZTd4SURSdTdVYThNcHJNNVJIWEcxVUZpREV0SWEwa1lFQWNHQ1A5?=
 =?utf-8?B?dDBOVjRSRmR1eGhOc2ZXemRPRkU3eWMrNTVWSXZSSERNKzdhYjE5R20rQ3I1?=
 =?utf-8?B?eEovMnBWRGNZcmU3d05hZTUySkgzaG1MUG9IZm9XM3ZWQ0QxNlE2eVpTQWdn?=
 =?utf-8?B?MG5aQitZSitteis5dnZ5UmRLd0hRVW85d0ZWc3kwYnQ2ZW83WHNxcTVja2RJ?=
 =?utf-8?B?LzZMeDQ3dURydTY1L1owaXNuUGxaRDNNdkZzbHdySGZvcXBPU0xqZGZ6b0Ra?=
 =?utf-8?B?Z1RXenorRXVRbXMyb1ZPVGN4TXc4QXpXNng2b3dVU0pILzNldXQ0U1A3emRq?=
 =?utf-8?B?T0tUQXZibURoWWNacUlTeVhmZ0k3NTF0NVZURmoxZ1ZpWDMzdlFyeDliMFlH?=
 =?utf-8?B?UkhKZGl3bDVwbVhvdWM5aWQ3QU9oMEVmVjdpWmpZK0lyM3lqY2FxbjRWeWxR?=
 =?utf-8?B?Yy9QYlZMbTVIU3ZiakNxMWRKYmNnNysvUzFnbERvaHpmK3hpNXFrOW5WcHpP?=
 =?utf-8?B?bUpSM3JMQVk1NHZIMFlzSjBpc2Y1eHRKalFJMno1Z3FWQ2tzeUNzMmtvbnAw?=
 =?utf-8?Q?71bNsBZCwSbVe?=
X-OriginatorOrg: sct-15-20-9412-4-msonline-outlook-a6b68.templateTenant
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-Network-Message-Id: 73494a61-e872-426b-ce06-08df230b0ddc
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-AuthSource: SA1PR11MB8811.namprd11.prod.outlook.com
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-AuthAs: Internal
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-OriginalArrivalTime: 05 Oct 2026 18:04:09.9452
 (UTC)
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-FromEntityHeader: Hosted
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-Id: 84df9e7f-e9f6-40af-b435-aaaaaaaaaaaa
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-RMS-PersistedConsumerOrg:
	00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
X-MS-Exchange-Transport-CrossTenantHeadersStamped: SA1PR11MB9614
X-Spamd-Bar: +
X-Spamd-Result: default: False [1.50 / 15.00];
	FORGED_MUA_THUNDERBIRD_MSGID_UNKNOWN(2.50)[];
	ARC_ALLOW(-1.00)[microsoft.com:s=arcselector10001:i=1];
	SUBJECT_ENDS_QUESTION(1.00)[];
	DMARC_POLICY_ALLOW(-0.50)[hotmail.com,none];
	R_DKIM_ALLOW(-0.20)[hotmail.com:s=selector1];
	R_SPF_ALLOW(-0.20)[+ip6:2a01:111:f403:d000::/53];
	MIME_GOOD(-0.10)[text/plain];
	ASN(0.00)[asn:8075, ipnet:2a01:111:f000::/36, country:US];
	FREEMAIL_ENVFROM(0.00)[hotmail.com];
	FREEMAIL_FROM(0.00)[hotmail.com];
	RCPT_COUNT_ONE(0.00)[1];
	RCVD_IN_DNSWL_NONE(0.00)[2a01:111:f403:d001::3:from];
	MIME_TRACE(0.00)[0:+];
	DWL_DNSWL_NONE(0.00)[hotmail.com:dkim];
	MLMMJ_DEST(0.00)[questions@freebsd.org];
	TO_DN_NONE(0.00)[];
	RCVD_COUNT_TWO(0.00)[2];
	FROM_EQ_ENVFROM(0.00)[];
	TO_MATCH_ENVRCPT_ALL(0.00)[];
	FROM_HAS_DN(0.00)[];
	RCVD_TLS_LAST(0.00)[];
	DKIM_TRACE(0.00)[hotmail.com:+]
X-Rspamd-Queue-Id: 4hz6hz4D76z4ddk

On 10/5/26 10:56, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> 
> 
> On Tue, 29 Sept 2026 at 13:43, John Levine <johnl@iecc.com 
> <mailto:johnl@iecc.com>> wrote:
> 
>     According to Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@puchar.net
>     <mailto:wojtek@puchar.net>>:
>      >swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: bufobj: 0, blkno: 7415651,
>     size: 4096
> 
>     I see it a fair amount on a small and very overloaded VPS so it
>     appears to be an indirect way to say it's hopelessly thrashing.
> 
>     I agree that there are a lot of unhelpful comments about it.
> 
> 
> I just looked at the code in sys/vm/swap_pager.c .
> 
> It prints it after a 20 second sleep waiting for the read to complete.

As someone who sees such messages often enough when things like Firefox 
get to a thrashing state with its use of swap it would be nice to know 
that it was a 20 second timer being exceeded. The message makes me think 
something is broken instead of just slow and since I would expect 
something to crash with each message but that doesn't happen I assumed 
there was a problem with the message itself. If its a 20 second timer 
then that sounds more like a finite wait on a buffer. I much appreciate 
digging that explains what it really means.

> 
> -adrian
> 


From nobody Mon Oct  5 21:43:23 2026
X-Original-To: questions@mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org
Received: from mx1.freebsd.org (mx1.freebsd.org [IPv6:2610:1c1:1:606c::19:1])
	by mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 4hzCZ10ztHz6vSXq
	for <questions@mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org>; Mon, 05 Oct 2026 21:43:37 +0000 (UTC)
	(envelope-from freebsd@edvax.de)
Received: from mout.kundenserver.de (mout.kundenserver.de [217.72.192.75])
	(using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (256/256 bits)
	 key-exchange secp256r1 server-signature RSA-PSS (4096 bits) server-digest SHA256
	 client-signature RSA-PSS (3072 bits) client-digest SHA256)
	(Client CN "mout.kundenserver.de", Issuer "Telekom Security ServerID OV Class 2 CA" (verified OK))
	by mx1.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 4hzCYy6yZbz3C06
	for <questions@freebsd.org>; Mon, 05 Oct 2026 21:43:34 +0000 (UTC)
	(envelope-from freebsd@edvax.de)
Authentication-Results: mx1.freebsd.org;
	dkim=pass header.d=edvax.de header.s=s1-ionos header.b=bn5a53mJ;
	spf=pass (mx1.freebsd.org: domain of freebsd@edvax.de designates 217.72.192.75 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=freebsd@edvax.de;
	dmarc=pass (policy=none) header.from=edvax.de
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=edvax.de;
	s=s1-ionos; t=1791236611; x=1791841411; i=freebsd@edvax.de;
	bh=2ND4TDW29rr7PyB13nWMvo2OUcXbgoqQ4Srp313wZZY=;
	h=X-UI-Sender-Class:Date:From:To:Cc:Subject:Message-Id:In-Reply-To:
	 References:Reply-To:Mime-Version:Content-Type:
	 Content-Transfer-Encoding:cc:content-transfer-encoding:
	 content-type:date:from:message-id:mime-version:reply-to:subject:
	 to;
	b=bn5a53mJm5eTR4ExFFkcq7skKIwKu2nldg4oHKQLwlM796FUsOL/3Ml4faRgbviS
	 Oc/r6GvYJ25fqG6YHKD0EXnGc6MHBsDjaUTtr7nh43GIrOobEsxrEJhirBPmGyiYs
	 yMPARFY2P5uX4kzN+yyLXZVEGu1Zr6fxwuBYIuj3U7ibpDfGp/8agisqGDRp6pjru
	 ABH/jFkmoYwW2MauNN/16qPajxTB3/8pIniJXqCO1l62JXvfPpRkE3/TXIo2Agm7W
	 7cHFRPUfkjGCJgnfbSSWa/Ra19io0c1IkbsOR+xP8hHi6C//R7AluGhC7wd2FG/Em
	 9WXvoSwQlM++KZjZow==
X-UI-Sender-Class: 55c96926-9e95-11ee-ae09-1f7a4046a0f6
Received: from client.hidden.invalid by mrelayeu.kundenserver.de (mreue109
 [213.165.67.113]) with ESMTPSA (Nemesis) id 1N7Qp1-1wbqO7448T-00sRUJ; Mon, 05
 Oct 2026 23:43:31 +0200
Received: from r56.edvax.de (r56 [10.200.1.11])
	(authenticated bits=0)
	by terra.edvax.de (8.18.1/8.18.1) with ESMTPA id 695LhTmX002311;
	Mon, 5 Oct 2026 23:43:29 +0200 (CEST)
	(envelope-from freebsd@edvax.de)
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2026 23:43:23 +0200
From: Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To: Luigi <luigi@lbon.dev>
Cc: questions@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: Where is your FreeBSD?
Message-Id: <20261005234323.cb3bdb1e.freebsd@edvax.de>
In-Reply-To: <40F0E96E-2996-41A0-8302-A9A11E7AA4E4@lbon.dev>
References: <40F0E96E-2996-41A0-8302-A9A11E7AA4E4@lbon.dev>
Reply-To: Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Organization: EDVAX
X-Mailer: Sylpheed 3.1.1 (GTK+ 2.24.5; i386-portbld-freebsd8.2)
List-Id: User questions <freebsd-questions.freebsd.org>
List-Archive: https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-questions
List-Help: <mailto:questions+help@freebsd.org>
List-Post: <mailto:questions@freebsd.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:questions+subscribe@freebsd.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:questions+unsubscribe@freebsd.org>
X-BeenThere: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
List-Id: <freebsd-questions.FreeBSD.org>
List-Post: <mailto:freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
List-Help: <mailto:freebsd-questions+help@FreeBSD.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:freebsd-questions+subscribe@FreeBSD.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:freebsd-questions+unsubscribe@FreeBSD.org>
List-Owner: <mailto:postmaster@FreeBSD.org>
Precedence: list
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
X-Provags-ID: V03:K1:3RXFjSrPZwv8vxSnHELS31okh9k3Fx2xGc4FKU2c1Xvsy95JeHj
 ggZtCGxY2e+wlbeT+tkaWkiBH9vzOb+94+XLCuQ4423W4VaxrpJvqOQ2QdeAaXG/vzsB10D
 AMZvd/ffgSRrzXpeKZ9VNfMIAxj9XW/Aey1BlPILUvOOcn/97xnMqIZEDvqZ1MeKTR1LZHe
 pS0OiFWfUWGzA1J8JxYaw==
X-Spam-Flag: NO
UI-OutboundReport: notjunk:1;M01:P0:FR47/VdNl2U=;2zQrwJxms/QTrWijNy1ldOVhX2A
 yTZovfIzmYTHYFfoBvaewenAmEIZ9Ljmt4bNc3q6ylwJTjJ66DiEmV+sv+JUK+ZPNdSMXmkiM
 bbVDnIdM68Lv/BEzRWLGGH+FZ2DtX5j2Pw2YKOdnUHiXE8C65fr9G8xobHX11nHciApKHtaOn
 4tJBZbJ1ahVacNsvYqHQxGh22uHB8bkLpY8W5xXqkuyNSPuIO0FlMEThslYg/I/248FIYekeQ
 f/kSI1vk4mFpu0CvTB/ud+4dC6CgQ69RVjhNe9QVTzJ4e9+n8G7K86Yp26xwP3f4oagsEKXsC
 aM5QsawLuGZLd+bgd+8LlHC079IBob2TS0ShRPDm1bhsP/N9VBHfaQzzM4QG9vYZ/9P6nfOeg
 Bejc2vDfAu3cntbv1cbrSrS6/44YdMMjJB9f6k2syChfMNSSCd8Xf2PgmSeakiK4IkKS+iDCp
 NNyed0zn7X7egppApk+yQ2OaG3kw5OpzjrAocNFb+1s7Pt9yfC5I+QkSPFdNCS7/Bc32HvRgH
 q+ClwZM2xbOMpZ9N/o58qukuF/vnlD6+S34sxbSraTcJlgLZwVAlucwWy+kMn/Pbx8j/wNaYP
 R5gyuYkKqqtSRzyeiL9dNfYqzkJJnoFDBTTnW17yT4jRB3eVGwSu90LpjCsTi6ZxO4hzKeELB
 4KSRyv+NkFEGdpaSpBRvLHHIlJHHU+ayBr9JwHif3rJcz8gxJxvLbP2gny0pzet72EsZD0O6W
 VNaOUm3DUhdCr1MoMjP9M1MKY22E0OGCff4VDhaGv3pWJUb/GpqkWzn5cKZG9vHHIGOLGpVdK
 1s2QRRUhwQca0plMtJEFdhbFKdpaxXxFwJcxGoL5cAIyfeIhqMQG0ty1ziwFlz0SWBdG52Cc6
 83E1BhO/SuZ2uNHLLzQNq12CZZd+kblxc87kRMVBpN6vkRpsYmPbagoTp0V2eIAJvelPVSpRB
 c6XA+seWG2bhMtZSwUdW6srBi1PUWYQHX/uPKQi/GQsx6tLmAO+DLLl1zotkxaClKHl/m5Y1Q
 xintw/YOYcgPt3jT0xE1pTeT4cQdOlIB/XVnP/2W+Y5+b6JAATAMPMO3xCcnfEcZprMOAnH17
 qBMBcddjN/U+N2/YknmIqDbj1e/XNqptzxUi87GrBdLynqMth5/BMZc0j8JYOUSNqHtyajspd
 PX9lvlto1y9ZoPivEcwwU3BPBF2JuKASBYORFt9f7/2sLAF8wHst5YCNB0c3mCNLwWFHgyWcO
 vFtB7OiOdjROpaR82WaWd8jAu7Cn5xybzJBgbQRHFJIbcn21E3rEDHl6cuD0KKYUScQFasrAn
 uY9jitAnoiR3zsKvN3xvS7lgQEKmj3mDAB/pW/NdDX0P6Br0a7z8ufk5DzzScmQ9vSBBVl/D8
 joIPQRIAvdpPOXQaA6uPX8mZdPEghCAEvAE4xNCuKbS+KQD7o3LddrpAbnm3UEOR2P32D1S0W
 i1lzlK32ZTqbDac7da7rN45X1NXxKeWFKnKh+E1rjuYlv8KGkg/5iy2NlN00TVCz/iRGjdDz1
 X8sozj418i5dKZpON3OXsu26gnwjw9O+EPdnCc/nP6NZ0woWZ8yqGHwgImPqVPaPvEaieB30f
 7aUipuon4yzSOrgpMKqW6d+LhZtboo9PstsaCEICEIiYP4b3mnkmeMu1Dcje77jTmHZu8OK5N
 0S3zGA2mEvwSLNQYMG5yHRjiGv/hRLxlIcs7HWFNAo+zS367QjzIvthCVeKCq6mCZKuBX+XVM
 eRyq3ZY3l/rfTu54uHqJhxbwRdXBKZudEY6xZ3KBmMEYoFhweVGqZF3vC+0bTVlrzBRnJq+Cw
 VH7l9sjCFEuELBd4jE8xsygD9r3IpgGhojMloIap7atnfaxCxk4G9FUuGbVULfyTlS0Qw6fb2
 HzkUYkVEG7e+hf6otCJfkX43YBYHcqAJkM2I3Wd0Aao3apRsJnCn9hYLhHu0SjvooD5owyxVW
 goew0qxpZHL01/U6y3aLPurYqxuGVgT5VEHwC9uJqHArXSk3HjzAyYS5Bx1yppNS/0gfI4uR0
 xESRYncRtJshNGjuksjoL1BLsPVanLNrYWxSBeoGH290ZXDhyD0ZyajlpHxc8L5yga7ou9SNY
 kIxRwdRtw3mU4n6E5bu7W98LR3BPbKuGsX90QWyXg7aF90b3vmfbaTaQ3SQfAuEwkeTZNtHPf
 P+bhEVNIfPT25KSZszFo25wAKEJjH+YxC9A9vwZtxSoET3QxV9DtIP8ldNWgAaffLzuNPi6zb
 obypA6nNHQZ+bec1UpOcfbNLyyBQvNeZt1M/OtXQ/rhAQHUJBG1Qf5vlHpByswbFxs+U6k5VN
 xQyWIWnrB0+aLakpCR25VPehsl8P/gKNs+mQe0W/0vkyo4L8qZGBuSj+3SsGPwJLDc2t58gOb
 6Vqh3zaWrifBplVXwITlNyS35idIllSezUwtyRm71A5E+LecmOK4C/kppRLu7ECSG2nbw5pj4
 UPxhsmmAEFA888UOgrhPFby6FTmU4VbYER4yEzUnw9n32so9aLz
X-Spamd-Bar: +
X-Spamd-Result: default: False [1.50 / 15.00];
	MID_CONTAINS_FROM(1.00)[];
	SUBJECT_ENDS_QUESTION(1.00)[];
	DMARC_POLICY_ALLOW(-0.50)[edvax.de,none];
	MV_CASE(0.50)[];
	R_SPF_ALLOW(-0.20)[+ip4:217.72.192.64/26];
	R_DKIM_ALLOW(-0.20)[edvax.de:s=s1-ionos];
	MIME_GOOD(-0.10)[text/plain];
	ASN(0.00)[asn:8560, ipnet:217.72.192.0/20, country:DE];
	TO_DN_SOME(0.00)[];
	RWL_MAILSPIKE_POSSIBLE(0.00)[217.72.192.75:from];
	RCVD_VIA_SMTP_AUTH(0.00)[];
	HAS_ORG_HEADER(0.00)[];
	MIME_TRACE(0.00)[0:+];
	ARC_NA(0.00)[];
	DKIM_TRACE(0.00)[edvax.de:+];
	HAS_REPLYTO(0.00)[freebsd@edvax.de];
	FROM_EQ_ENVFROM(0.00)[];
	FROM_HAS_DN(0.00)[];
	RCPT_COUNT_TWO(0.00)[2];
	RCVD_COUNT_TWO(0.00)[2];
	RCVD_TLS_LAST(0.00)[];
	TO_MATCH_ENVRCPT_SOME(0.00)[];
	MLMMJ_DEST(0.00)[questions@freebsd.org];
	REPLYTO_EQ_FROM(0.00)[]
X-Rspamd-Queue-Id: 4hzCYy6yZbz3C06

On Mon, 21 Sep 2026 22:34:36 +0200, Luigi wrote:
> I wonder, are there more FreeBSD "laptop users" or "server users=E2=80=
=9D
> out there ?
>=20
> Just curious about your thoughts on the matter.

I'm using FreeBSD as a desktop and laptop OS on a daily basis.
My journey started with FreeBSD 4.0 as a desktop OS. Compared
to the alternatives, I was able to do anything I wanted, for
as long as I wanted, the way I wanted. Of course I installed
and configured all the things for programming, productivity,
office use, multimedia use, gaming, data forensics, network
diagnostics and so on with the appropriate tools and using
the config dialogs and files of the respective programs. I'm
looking around to other OS lands, and everything just looks
unintuitive, overcomplicated, buggy and done without actual
thoughts about how things should be done. Saying this as an
old man coming from a heterogenous OS world (mainframe, PCs,
workstations, running things like Solaris, IRIX, Linux, even
DOS - not that one, the other one -, and many others), FreeBSD
still is my first choice when I want things to just work and
_not_ fight against my intentions. Today I run FreeBSD, OpenBSD,
NetBSD (special cases) and Linux on my systems.

FreeBSD is a multi-purpose OS per definition. You can run it
on servers, workstations, PCs, laptops, embedded systems. Due
to its licensing, you'll never actually know _where_ is runs,
maybe in your router? ;-)

Traditionally, FreeBSD is often considered a "server-only OS",
and that's what it seems to be used for primarily. However,
don't be fooled by "market share" nonsense telling you people
don't use it on laptops or that it doesn't work on PCs. It does,
and they use it. I simply can't be that I'm the only one. :-)



=2D-=20
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0
Andra moi ennepe, Mousa, ...

From nobody Mon Oct  5 23:22:54 2026
X-Original-To: questions@mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org
Received: from mx1.freebsd.org (mx1.freebsd.org [IPv6:2610:1c1:1:606c::19:1])
	by mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 4hzFmf0nTvz6vb1q
	for <questions@mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org>; Mon, 05 Oct 2026 23:22:58 +0000 (UTC)
	(envelope-from freebsd@dreamchaser.org)
Received: from ns.dreamchaser.org (ns.dreamchaser.org [66.109.141.57])
	(using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (256/256 bits)
	 key-exchange x25519 server-signature RSA-PSS (4096 bits) server-digest SHA256
	 client-signature ECDSA (prime256v1) client-digest SHA256)
	(Client CN "discoveriesinwood.com", Issuer "YE1" (not verified))
	by mx1.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 4hzFmd3S26z3Q3S
	for <questions@freebsd.org>; Mon, 05 Oct 2026 23:22:57 +0000 (UTC)
	(envelope-from freebsd@dreamchaser.org)
Authentication-Results: mx1.freebsd.org;
	dkim=none;
	spf=pass (mx1.freebsd.org: domain of freebsd@dreamchaser.org designates 66.109.141.57 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=freebsd@dreamchaser.org;
	dmarc=none
Received: from [192.168.151.122] (breakaway.dreamchaser.org [192.168.151.122])
	by ns.dreamchaser.org (8.18.1/8.18.1) with ESMTP id 695NMsrN076603;
	Mon, 5 Oct 2026 17:22:55 -0600 (MDT)
	(envelope-from freebsd@dreamchaser.org)
Message-ID: <96598c2a-e9bc-49e6-932e-5d0017141eff@dreamchaser.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2026 17:22:54 -0600
List-Id: User questions <freebsd-questions.freebsd.org>
List-Archive: https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-questions
List-Help: <mailto:questions+help@freebsd.org>
List-Post: <mailto:questions@freebsd.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:questions+subscribe@freebsd.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:questions+unsubscribe@freebsd.org>
X-BeenThere: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
List-Id: <freebsd-questions.FreeBSD.org>
List-Post: <mailto:freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
List-Help: <mailto:freebsd-questions+help@FreeBSD.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:freebsd-questions+subscribe@FreeBSD.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:freebsd-questions+unsubscribe@FreeBSD.org>
List-Owner: <mailto:postmaster@FreeBSD.org>
Precedence: list
MIME-Version: 1.0
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird
Subject: Re: Where is your FreeBSD?
Content-Language: en-US
To: Luigi <luigi@lbon.dev>
Cc: questions@freebsd.org
References: <40F0E96E-2996-41A0-8302-A9A11E7AA4E4@lbon.dev>
 <20261005234323.cb3bdb1e.freebsd@edvax.de>
From: Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org>
Reply-To: freebsd@dreamchaser.org
In-Reply-To: <20261005234323.cb3bdb1e.freebsd@edvax.de>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Greylist: inspected by milter-greylist-4.6.4 (ns.dreamchaser.org [192.168.151.101]); Mon, 05 Oct 2026 17:22:55 -0600 (MDT) for IP:'192.168.151.122' DOMAIN:'breakaway.dreamchaser.org' HELO:'[192.168.151.122]' FROM:'freebsd@dreamchaser.org' RCPT:''
X-Greylist: Sender IP whitelisted, not delayed by milter-greylist-4.6.4 (ns.dreamchaser.org [192.168.151.101]); Mon, 05 Oct 2026 17:22:55 -0600 (MDT)
X-Spamd-Bar: /
X-Spamd-Result: default: False [0.90 / 15.00];
	SUBJECT_ENDS_QUESTION(1.00)[];
	ONCE_RECEIVED(0.20)[];
	R_SPF_ALLOW(-0.20)[+mx:c];
	MIME_GOOD(-0.10)[text/plain];
	FROM_HAS_DN(0.00)[];
	ARC_NA(0.00)[];
	RCVD_COUNT_ONE(0.00)[1];
	ASN(0.00)[asn:21947, ipnet:66.109.128.0/19, country:US];
	TO_DN_SOME(0.00)[];
	MIME_TRACE(0.00)[0:+];
	RCPT_COUNT_TWO(0.00)[2];
	MID_RHS_MATCH_FROM(0.00)[];
	R_DKIM_NA(0.00)[];
	REPLYTO_ADDR_EQ_FROM(0.00)[];
	FROM_EQ_ENVFROM(0.00)[];
	HAS_REPLYTO(0.00)[freebsd@dreamchaser.org];
	TO_MATCH_ENVRCPT_SOME(0.00)[];
	DMARC_NA(0.00)[dreamchaser.org];
	RCVD_TLS_LAST(0.00)[];
	MLMMJ_DEST(0.00)[questions@freebsd.org];
	REPLYTO_DOM_NEQ_TO_DOM(0.00)[]
X-Rspamd-Queue-Id: 4hzFmd3S26z3Q3S

On Mon, 21 Sep 2026 22:34:36 +0200, Luigi wrote:
> I wonder, are there more FreeBSD "laptop users" or "server users”
> out there ?
>
> Just curious about your thoughts on the matter.

I run fbsd on an ancient PC server, and as my daily workstation on 10 year old home
assembled hardware. Daily work includes regular office stuff, 3d print design, photo
editing, remote admin of ubuntu servers, and the usual too much web surfing.
My framework laptop runs ubuntu, mostly because it's officially supported and the
update process has so far (4 yrs?) been pretty no-brainer. I only use the laptop for
things I don't have running on fbsd -- prusa slicer; and occasionally websites I
really need that don't work on my fbsd firefox with noscript.

Gary

From nobody Mon Oct  5 23:43:15 2026
X-Original-To: questions@mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org
Received: from mx1.freebsd.org (mx1.freebsd.org [IPv6:2610:1c1:1:606c::19:1])
	by mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 4hzGDB4Vz1z6vcbG
	for <questions@mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org>; Mon, 05 Oct 2026 23:43:22 +0000 (UTC)
	(envelope-from dukeofpurl@gmx.com)
Received: from mout.gmx.net (mout.gmx.net [212.227.15.19])
	(using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (256/256 bits)
	 key-exchange secp256r1 server-signature RSA-PSS (4096 bits) server-digest SHA256
	 client-signature RSA-PSS (3072 bits) client-digest SHA256)
	(Client CN "mout.gmx.net", Issuer "Telekom Security ServerID OV Class 2 CA" (verified OK))
	by mx1.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 4hzGD90MgNz4DgW
	for <questions@freebsd.org>; Mon, 05 Oct 2026 23:43:20 +0000 (UTC)
	(envelope-from dukeofpurl@gmx.com)
Authentication-Results: mx1.freebsd.org;
	dkim=pass header.d=gmx.com header.s=s31663417 header.b=CqRdWdKB;
	spf=pass (mx1.freebsd.org: domain of dukeofpurl@gmx.com designates 212.227.15.19 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=dukeofpurl@gmx.com;
	dmarc=pass (policy=quarantine) header.from=gmx.com
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmx.com;
	s=s31663417; t=1791243798; x=1791848598; i=dukeofpurl@gmx.com;
	bh=51S0POb8BvSvQRVbK62H3LoiPaufSHzr8kPOP+59IpE=;
	h=X-UI-Sender-Class:Date:From:To:Cc:Subject:Message-Id:In-Reply-To:
	 References:Mime-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:cc:
	 content-transfer-encoding:content-type:date:from:message-id:
	 mime-version:reply-to:subject:to;
	b=CqRdWdKBaG+11CgAIJIlhrE4A038/l3qeqCCBfyJAMxZuTtdKhT2PlVnKqYfhoaZ
	 fWnfjwsIobNNLomt3DEgfJwbrKDjX7H5qpZ8xj+zp1IANsU6vvkX9PCgIAHfkIkKw
	 FMd3+y4Or4CHp/PZphRmnFE06KcdaZR92AfqN3fZOu45AAV3baqAYOyBrKOzrtlta
	 /sJZohruN72dlfkZKzZIfNS21OhJo3B1tJL5P73SzkKJMCVOUi4cZ3LnvtDPidyBl
	 4WJZuZliSyS03gKp97RyDvX86E7w3xhn6YLUJC2jwGIIajc4JgMPlhDADMwkTVpUA
	 fGpud3Z0QYYb2iskkQ==
X-UI-Sender-Class: 724b4f7f-cbec-4199-ad4e-598c01a50d3a
Received: from client.hidden.invalid by mail.gmx.net (mrgmx005
 [212.227.17.184]) with ESMTPSA (Nemesis) id 1M7b2d-1xJdd50tPp-005rDq; Tue, 06
 Oct 2026 01:43:18 +0200
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2026 17:43:15 -0600
From: Duke Normandin <dukeofpurl@gmx.com>
To: freebsd@dreamchaser.org
Cc: questions@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: Where is your FreeBSD?
Message-Id: <20261005174315.fbae08b13d31d19c930f6ad6@gmx.com>
In-Reply-To: <96598c2a-e9bc-49e6-932e-5d0017141eff@dreamchaser.org>
References: <40F0E96E-2996-41A0-8302-A9A11E7AA4E4@lbon.dev>
	<20261005234323.cb3bdb1e.freebsd@edvax.de>
	<96598c2a-e9bc-49e6-932e-5d0017141eff@dreamchaser.org>
X-Mailer: Sylpheed 3.8.0beta1 (GTK+ 2.24.33; x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
List-Id: User questions <freebsd-questions.freebsd.org>
List-Archive: https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-questions
List-Help: <mailto:questions+help@freebsd.org>
List-Post: <mailto:questions@freebsd.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:questions+subscribe@freebsd.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:questions+unsubscribe@freebsd.org>
X-BeenThere: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
List-Id: <freebsd-questions.FreeBSD.org>
List-Post: <mailto:freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
List-Help: <mailto:freebsd-questions+help@FreeBSD.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:freebsd-questions+subscribe@FreeBSD.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:freebsd-questions+unsubscribe@FreeBSD.org>
List-Owner: <mailto:postmaster@FreeBSD.org>
Precedence: list
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
X-Provags-ID: V03:K1:veVOEKAsIGg7YZihUmHN5lkrnrOh8ULehUQoOfaiSiBW9r107eM
 7oNLZXHh/WP7N13bXOX0nxsCpLZDp6tqxibQBeDevJoGh6sBTXn1jmqNHI5vWjETTD+LUO6
 ejkL6PxEKGbPzlF34DP5QIHf8b9gl4NehswL5On49YklBZ7pNBpHwZcFtlsU2Qc0gVrCsYs
 QUkbRUGYNMb9V778INGow==
X-Spam-Flag: NO
UI-OutboundReport: notjunk:1;M01:P0:31/QszhI7u8=;hq+5p4tH7MiybH/A2B4Q0o5usKC
 90KeR2F95ANXUvQcDkBjxeczvwnomDNWQTrtADquWjhU2S6FWtSonZZaCDWYaWG143nXauO7Q
 iRjY6/h26ls+JiZbrIk5kXcmW4qmkKv8VFMn/Rx6qIAlyrkZWYQlWTpznarTjRUjabU9o98IA
 1tgXgS0bso1kg/CEBzVwVTdF1p16XArjevVcngd/3tgYesEjlm8PVSzeENy79RUJ5QtlcRaap
 L7ul3UjMbz2feFJgPvL/61DomMXbmL1oY+VqKNUxppm3Z8E5r8VdtFTO/i2sS3H6E5WccpJCC
 oPfQrjnunxWhtzElmbCXq16FBF6s1yibH1RQPr3Ju2xtRW7xfxaC/ACAMph173muxvb/U96MT
 02TYwrkuZnpnZm0Ki8q8AfnsVZ9c+JSUnaDv7Ub4bFR6jMpmUalv6xe1sGccsSIQtInIx3eMp
 n6ByQTif23lxilM26ElQMtOfqXehahYaMapGDbqnXs9haVGB8ry+8n6Hjq+auemxqWzB2G5vJ
 gp9IIytC0YElT9nUGMyXXtTqTAdTehbeeUfTLdpd5QyAc/+JlplE2gBJiza3/wlTIg6jmc+G4
 /MN4+Oo7cKTDDOAPnUAEZe8eh7kFkb61x8zPnpbpuduEcZmIkPMOJzGkNgA4QSSIahAsNSbIP
 RKaRYXT7s4IQTO30SP5uE7BPS8BeKyF//CRn7jwOyXjjUNLLkyw2/d++oWspu8MQK9k/+VMAm
 xsAN4fddGWThInJvuW4TmjpTZ5xG+PbegfSVAnpspD1ttn0lW0TzLDQ7NTapSsVeR3zigjAd5
 IdNtpSpnPJAn3Vp9tKs9Dw1UZ9nZ2rVkOjdHId5O9YrRd5ZJNUNdT3yOvy8NMxswy6g8RCcxI
 yhUtk3EwoAGJz4Y8aiXMh4oFzPxU4OteiLGf5MyRkSOqDHnlH762tmMt0eQ+8UhDvWmXLim1s
 0qpZxNLTw73AmwKsZEZ1vKwdfsN38l7QjiJyd9v3gDS0gwYmtIcZefCZou4dz0EcKGNUo8SyP
 MIWcghp56U6Bi1TBQkHabcFKxgn+jNN1Rgq6Qy8InXh0tuOeBq/nIhOiEq1Pu8NydHBmX/AeS
 +o+EGttgVUu7ALKc4EaVvULRy2bcLv/u7O45x6804yzoPo2VywU7f2p7njR5cCL/VnNMZ/erV
 /cdj4+tYEG05SBskbwzxYkoT6l/po2tyJ7NQHi7r6yCtd3uUTFWtjX4H+PIRc4Alidr5LxLf0
 +cqboFJNIqS4VZQSC6Y5ApWcXa61o078Yx3DHrNP5Dap4zRv6j6nQjpsWXSR34CIsDT0xlJyL
 5BWw0AaJnS8/LTcjHQUrcIypHnwifXFy3DDBA2i1+j1qBjgbCiuNvZy1aPRvBBWR6pxcDR9mt
 tRhYy0htR2wQ1jd73qRdA/IzJFBJPRMFurUrk9vyV2E/H7aBycqFNJadTklczAgXX6gMlbhY9
 Yc4dn8wtVb7PEBXvmAGOim+Zr20pqs6A/w7pLH7CTaBl997Wc8PE45KJxbaALk1WOg+c0sHtE
 P5Xf+ZjgZSY6Nq/LLvp4XlcTbNRK1zsyfBh7VAb3Oek/5ZGzVey664EaTGh5zruWZ0KMF6JIM
 Mwkur9oSW/eYjZkoTJEmM6f1RFWYGl6lDcUdoHwZCP/viGI4PJizrplopC0fJYaUhkDL0rEkD
 WYTo1O6eIjKon0OiREpmLGPlUliH/LzTmT2UT4kP0Jc7SV/gud8/O+2TPBYm9CzSs07xc2Mna
 q50AtF+zVPHvVlGfoCj04SuTWZEy0nsr2wSUO1SNIFDgDn2FP+47yKUuTqOuy5ogFaiEDSXjq
 k8pWc7tz4PQySaehx5M6ygfyvnevglJB/2yhsfVMTHunbthI7YHeOfavq/P4DcXHNmhVoxCl2
 /ARGGKDjsyxnq9o4ee2Wk3Qod5RV5xpmATgrmi8BFzafXEfyTwKEJebqiLiEqlBpczIxdHtj5
 iV0nWC6sijalfZ68TbI+uE6ou1z9KsLz/48ZexSlezHaUKNFMOc+Pfd0WETR606dPf09Svpf1
 KyFkF8mEoOsMd/IuUi0ddGXtb8popBjxGWo4D1+VqJlwnsu0dHQgTEz8w9zPB398Wxl2458vH
 3ytvTCEpp4ZOsXn+HfZrXFxah9Vvf+5AD4CsGI6Bsn4QC31L/Og//gac6U0J35e5W1U+e1jrS
 kebyzhhBTe2CGoOztxErriBPM+onen7WaQew2kdDyXGv4+bV1B7lQeT9IRTd9IYMV8mFXshAy
 wv4RX5KI1eHGPrR31tQmYhSDKHagTQAyylOGQkavKBhIcycpfjAqfNskXx5yi5ya3VqjhOP2H
 SD7tyVjU2UlBGlj1MbQiWsXr/k/rRtd12mJRjbcfY8899Fo4SOR/u7t4Utts0IR/NKfKnrjM1
 5dcapo4U0ajeVIoIKwUXj8CEF98pClX1TN+RqCso1dM+0lN/bWszhKOWd0iRccfXTmGO/1Z6H
 UoJlB7Fuaw0T+fNUCLEM/lv+VbR5oT1Qsd6YminxOSQ3YjgQm9TOkrz7esGIDXcCp8k6k+qLQ
 ieUIdb/wP69yTTeNxAprj9/2rm5pfq3O9yoVYZ5Y808oEUS0G0nhmaEL/IicJYUG/1dm1kkdN
 4KVXi83/iXPeZqZ/yqecjxS+du8i/bUK/68qReri1uOLOPbUDfy3VT0MRNichiIhVat2iVxTQ
 IJv/QDJz1ubKeTxijPis01NYoeXnhPfxt48uh1XTFVpH66cpyPKT5oxhi1MtbO7VNdqo5rswN
 u42ZGJ/3Zz1t2QPgFOlQr5awyAgeDJG32Wjm+AA8Z/PUdlOVHZuEGmLakqmMUPTuO0HdOvI4U
 M0iM33gt1ddxk/GCE+Cc6il7OYILElA4q9MpIrsin+uEFmuZvW7h7o5GqqemBdbcwwXKv6H/X
 krR9cV+AFaWXtD6VpptnBYg4ks3jMZGj+BK9WB1IKW1ZucEUVvBwQjv4ikiig4xJBO/Qqcrrz
 TFCrMD+M3WDmOiwEMucE9DkuvSFGPxGYBb9IelUCgLgkXNXUluC79um5PtyF7ca3dhJpChB4q
 Pg8Yld4yq2DtKX2tx1rsk8EEt+3yzr6XQ94dVt7mcNUmEYb5eZMLwme4DMq38lpLD8lroJSFm
 vIYJPQaKqLH++iqilNKCYoCmGTGfaBdDjcznulGqRhIWClH6qniRCJpbPGs7WW7cYC7w+oavE
 y3AoKKurFGyDtcvVZ2Q7wYXF90hTnWdG5RBFDqkWBIazj/RSaHhiJbzZiF16OhDgbBaa4lIju
 8XHM0muzpRtDCvQyzgdfZ4Ed5zKeE1MPqwiCSls4Jp7o8tc5qMsRt9CiY7Zjk7jbEgQkDVCB0
 bCVH739syaZKDptIhIP5tUuiM/oEYdlk3JnQjpbcRyUTWbK7qQx744h+1jfK+vZ6sji6cUU3j
 7leFnsMbcw3pn7HYSrXby5n/nYbN+dznc+pJTv79zhvVqQzF8xMcCc41VTGpdlfH4MuyN4L8e
 16IwJ0rZ3DYpL8seQTHAZnQovuW1d796u6dgL/oj/C1BOSVTdh9F/9yjxhdLZJ9v8mKcDrldp
 FKLhC9/Nq+EM2zlyG0Mbb/OtbJyzuKaed3MgYHuqCGRuol0mpDRNjz20F0qlbiyQfZBBECSSr
 srZzWKwXuZppNv/xk4436Kh+7qjy2iHE0b7u6HRtmJc3QtcosIuot9qNnK4k1F2OBc6fJ5D6D
 V09dYBhc5LJ1wJvqgk6sNdftekffpN6tjAiBg7T4SVBbovi+OrvFDwPSQAD8RBIt3wGgGApV3
 JzRrezEtNTEOXbB76taEZWBmKnNdf4ZK6bsuit4qbTIUIxQ5ycFJYSweQhfmBJ5Dpxz06Fohv
 OStPgvTrA82ssW59TCGLiUlED5l7Ylf23U2MDH12QKQCwfQdskxOkcooQNHBCQa1TZ5XloxcL
 XQtbbgIsfpD3IOX9FbgN1v8X62TCEeYarD8QW7/n+1jurnIZY7+4tkHQrf2IcZ2Wmw3Y29hcR
 iqjXnl9RKjEzZyu7+tV/idOFvjB1loXwPEMBKkkMX2yRS9j4spBaoUUzYvwFUiHdz/B90HNIS
 xPcm/7+9FEV6rt4lAZw/MdWQ26qWvX/gG4c/MURJWpZfrmsvF7uUfieP+/e3GsSfv9pkORmuf
 ++99+sr6wTBI6zVRg5SNwE0FV2KjI4IzOhaWOdkWsRaCYO1VagMdDVmyBLoIr6wfNRAwBemFV
 YeGqtQQUsxdkB6zGs/RM7dh6acIvcP742mDkJCYgltrXxPNdEUXWIP9n/2lXf2tcPA+oEEo9U
 4Li3P9KWlmguC3BjNO5Y2Ger6FHBgU01yJUG1f/9Sciv6mknYNOiMUIBcU7wHO+w3mUx0nWWV
 QJ4EftybTGG1yeENyqcvFzve/a6vzgen11dHwfqsRn/PoY2jqGafO6EnxXNeizUfAqtwHSXVj
 Z/M7tvLpIG+2/UhcR75+ocRxXNrS8MJR9RoTs3L0hh57Ls6JxDfj2G32RUznU1RM6F6uEkOF4
 Nnt3Odh3izylDVGBuflIEUpuXF1NSKttdyIZqWy+vKtHg2ychUIMMR6+/WgAZOn7wiRqxK4RT
 Q2iFKH5TwwXSU125gMiDGlGjpos55BEZ7FvYv92v0iIlBJ1cNA8zpSmO72pQecK2j6wP75wfz
 KziP43AURd7As5PDiwK6zQfnjcStpaT9R//AR/WKotSkTyemQ2S0E/MxxiTlpIUXzj9+kRzpX
 6LjJN974J4zx//zVe9PXr7IqY6H2xUbgRGJHn+ny+DkFL1L4uM4DZ0lELnRzocewHjYFGI5dZ
 MfnvxXSyj21lSZOf7Kbr6tXyj3PuYj2WC2iO5fdwPpWKIFXy+vBfYNzQKK3c1HjvMLzV8gh/P
 DCmlHdAv0xpbIh/axR239iEmPu8N0nXS+UiakaqMWf3seYCOhDp+xP/ce1W0FXTKQp6PC2OYl
 DD/nFb7ZAFvD5YgSDTWWxfovKhSB+vuMe6tzDGfi+NdWn9jxk5xzHzeFgqa7QVmNIkpQOgYMD
 GJHLo9BbHGKiCxd4fnr/lIOqEHl4/8ZYGoqsfI12qXcrO+9N0f3KBJKXuYDkgDxf88ZO+wG1G
 2KZb3sgLVQq3tzKZtBXXioQIuCQUePO4hjOPdCRzamrVS4iYHbgLGwTIgAYu0LZb6LLloMfFP
 RIpHP/kMLWV6xqmabbKK/GwwTlgQReK9s6YPJYV+QYbTliYYAbz16bCqzgLxeS1RZalXPGTne
 Dw80M0swrPHF6Fsoau8I/UpMtjsI//48AMUYmq07WwHUEPNi9nax2D+xlz6UXx8zb5YM86qk+
 MVQa0RlnRG8e6a2prVnkhoR4lHXafD7U4UbBqNk9B2z+CTfl1pbTP4Wbi8V0ci+lqO1MaYfM9
 mi2XmAIwvwgwRnljbTVthjwDmQ1p0YiKPF0x4OZog6mstb79RxFx/01VPU8AezYkdKQZXxROJ
 Jk01H0cLoqBPSJttvtpAP3el3fZwblZb+THp6RhD0/nwPPKhp2ucouBHI4FySVB1wO5y1Ik9h
 EmAbLo4ZSqBYyq7SclH07WJqMXPoFXtuV6yZ9EYWlJ8ZmE5zhaB49Uco5OdQsIoZR1kaN1MqP
 UWmBdly2oJ7ClVQDoFK3I++/O/+u1AMNx4MdYRx1/zSB132Z1pgjQ7Rse4YZHHzmvBpbyFOVx
 mefbYz+Yx0RWwGl3WJvve/VxZ6Djl2Xi+XL4cD2o68+HaTuvQ2F4swqYru6A1y15MmSCGNgeH
 YMCn+RVbq5g2VylP/tdGtKPqVi73UKmBkj7tBhXAD7i8XX8iVECpV+0aO4lbUxdbgDKo0ABjX
 p6idNBnlEYUAHTLxKGLmht4bVu7+FvprsDtPLU3q9nuv8FUq4JpAnEjl+2kYQ2ilPfPsoNOC4
 Q67WFzqbn4sVLMGa3dq5Mdiv66JJXENaYoqRtGtUnTPnp3V9ChVJCbGVYNImpMbcAubRuEOkW
 pfEWNtRbf7a0O+QrPRDcXSXlx1tlbC/diTIyTIYN/CUXIPLp7/HbJSkfl1fHQ8XwkXhGPMprY
 ZPKISVqNWv86dkGdH0eDRU+KK+8jMahr3nt1istpaPpm4uh/bGR6ytUjVWWW5gugYBu2mVo0K
 Fc6u0sOxzKF/lJRv28phpNrw6kWI11PM09aMcnapdvNSaZvWfaPW+xBZHOuVRVKnV5lyInGxh
 dTmyiEoDNbspOUIAwxsKvBxVh0RbRU2XiO3EiHA49zRsTXhAbUStyeov5jh9AHQN1ysK77hDZ
 sAQRoM54XxiFFTprEjzVciZJch0a3mQZFoGPXAwM1mz5tGKjNcQ/cF2+gt5siBNrJuAyIS05K
 K3A2CxW2ZJ1zPzGvgWvX883KUrll5yq1iwnLRgvjbeaaYnonXLyKym3y7AiFt0NAghlAaX5x8
 0dNQbfGmB/Fua258YDxRsIi0pSCSPrV6n+DKF0eUaRkU3r8U6g2QIUMReuQUpG1pOIS/g6+lR
 G0ZX
X-Spamd-Bar: /
X-Spamd-Result: default: False [0.40 / 15.00];
	SUBJECT_ENDS_QUESTION(1.00)[];
	DMARC_POLICY_ALLOW(-0.50)[gmx.com,quarantine];
	MV_CASE(0.50)[];
	R_SPF_ALLOW(-0.20)[+a:mout.gmx.net];
	R_DKIM_ALLOW(-0.20)[gmx.com:s=s31663417];
	RWL_MAILSPIKE_VERYGOOD(-0.20)[212.227.15.19:from];
	ONCE_RECEIVED(0.20)[];
	RCVD_IN_DNSWL_LOW(-0.10)[212.227.15.19:from];
	MIME_GOOD(-0.10)[text/plain];
	DKIM_TRACE(0.00)[gmx.com:+];
	RCVD_TLS_ALL(0.00)[];
	RCPT_COUNT_TWO(0.00)[2];
	MIME_TRACE(0.00)[0:+];
	ARC_NA(0.00)[];
	FREEMAIL_FROM(0.00)[gmx.com];
	FROM_HAS_DN(0.00)[];
	ASN(0.00)[asn:8560, ipnet:212.227.0.0/16, country:DE];
	FREEMAIL_ENVFROM(0.00)[gmx.com];
	TO_DN_NONE(0.00)[];
	FROM_EQ_ENVFROM(0.00)[];
	RCVD_COUNT_ONE(0.00)[1];
	TO_MATCH_ENVRCPT_SOME(0.00)[];
	MID_RHS_MATCH_FROM(0.00)[];
	MLMMJ_DEST(0.00)[questions@freebsd.org];
	RCVD_VIA_SMTP_AUTH(0.00)[];
	DWL_DNSWL_NONE(0.00)[gmx.com:dkim]
X-Rspamd-Queue-Id: 4hzGD90MgNz4DgW

On Mon, 5 Oct 2026 17:22:54 -0600
Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Sep 2026 22:34:36 +0200, Luigi wrote:
> > I wonder, are there more FreeBSD "laptop users" or "server users=E2=80=
=9D
> > out there ?
> >
> > Just curious about your thoughts on the matter.
>=20
> I run fbsd on an ancient PC server, and as my daily workstation on 10 ye=
ar
> old home assembled hardware.=20

I'm trying to get X (fluxbox) running on FBSD-15.1 on my 2011 ASUS i7 lapt=
op.
The graphics resolution was locked at 800x600 in the console and X. Got
the resolution issue ironed out but now I have no X-Windows. xorg chokes o=
n
`startx' with "No screens found". Any idea on how I can solve this?

I have 2 graphics card in this box: Intel & nvidia. I've disabled the nvid=
ia by
choosing the applicable busID. TIA ...
=2D-=20
Duke

From nobody Tue Oct  6 02:53:11 2026
X-Original-To: questions@mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org
Received: from mx1.freebsd.org (mx1.freebsd.org [IPv6:2610:1c1:1:606c::19:1])
	by mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 4hzLRM3tydz4nBnB
	for <questions@mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org>; Tue, 06 Oct 2026 02:53:19 +0000 (UTC)
	(envelope-from melson.r@att.net)
Received: from sonic310-25.consmr.mail.gq1.yahoo.com (sonic310-25.consmr.mail.gq1.yahoo.com [98.137.69.151])
	(using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256 (128/128 bits)
	 key-exchange x25519 server-signature RSA-PSS (4096 bits) server-digest SHA256)
	(Client did not present a certificate)
	by mx1.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 4hzLRK6KxMz4b61
	for <questions@freebsd.org>; Tue, 06 Oct 2026 02:53:17 +0000 (UTC)
	(envelope-from melson.r@att.net)
Authentication-Results: mx1.freebsd.org;
	dkim=pass header.d=att.net header.s=s1024 header.b=AfpMyX1u;
	spf=pass (mx1.freebsd.org: domain of melson.r@att.net designates 98.137.69.151 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=melson.r@att.net;
	dmarc=pass (policy=quarantine) header.from=att.net
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=att.net; s=s1024; t=1791255195; bh=GXn58iXB8YaNY0+3/wO6vo1PownKrLrRkb2U7Ieo01o=; h=Date:Subject:To:Cc:References:From:In-Reply-To:From:Subject:Reply-To; b=AfpMyX1uJb3GIFC/+LiB6AQ9TIiOgg/R4FjaiFgwKRxBzbJWNj7pZLpyKcpT+upCzcbxZKhMF5pbZ0HX8fYuJlrNedqXH8EBfl13Wg1Swd36D+ccOqQbcDXMuOFgPrlol0xna2cK5NZDvUZUY5ipSelRagGMPWgPuEh/xGSR5t0=
X-SONIC-DKIM-SIGN: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com; s=s2048; t=1791255195; bh=YSmJPNf+8unjsqrpVLfBsxpp/qvqfipwAf6BxgFKJ6F=; h=X-Sonic-MF:Date:Subject:To:From:From:Subject; b=FqEMHvoSK+xilT0MmmoqBEAHG07He5Nx6LTqvJpYHfhUIbVxf75WOpqFLZwF7yPFOVya3dM/Ci2GFvWKbHfN4mIvHF4cBtBevPuNLxxyP0/8wWnLMvRisVIMtXIzEnz447WVRfof76970cDDajxDjEWCvoE04tbTVHpVHtNL71K9us6Gp5oOJTLdKY1GxT+hDg2VA3ZTo06TgxOrN4oiXdTiyxDnjB0o0el0ZY/pEMEs5vv5Y/2nDEcAp0DY3XVDREnPapC/jNK6YK2yHUu98DfD97CZIR4jvzPpZVX4SZMsGITiO54M1Nyoc7rgtKNe01o+V7q81kE76xKS1yOcpQ==
X-YMail-OSG: XlQ6V9oVM1lONHNNB8WcCY22R1L5mc59P82JCLQwBtVye7DKwBbkI.6BE8MLGB6
 fec2aYRpAg6ZiCOWjhdotBfuFh0MK1YSuJNrAE1iFbMYfagl5gQs.OFQNlXhPhVscWJY2c3544ed
 cAso.RbKmGwq_F8CZVLH6xpXS0eUJx2ZZ07bvvA0.UfaUxcCiRYZqEmlyu3xNhzfMi55e6NXITbe
 Lh0v7EEuLYF7CAFxjpFWdnyjBjlswRikpk07wTIxLdAnz1gTeZa9BggR4YTU9vEIgLNC_PTwagkP
 XMaA5MlCuvnlAVOvXhCgPcfBMrLaV1kAaI.zo.pmnQzPOzXZFb6iRyS8GODMJRh3chpq_FsCDcHm
 lmWqqjF7ee3nd_v4R9ivx3Toos.R7EwFffN0ysBNp.1HdP3wyokNkbvH.YdRbxBd3tdX8_o98nYe
 6FJzgMKkooicMGYdQoT8FWz7gZBF4eK8A50P1tPK7LIkNeHqyUo6aEi44aRxWsdZeg4xAW0p0RzK
 sEKgtXcVNAegyotl6E57dQfZM28Ck9bUFUud9_kikmXe4JDbJ4dqeq6joR8tCXclUASlCNOEjRXW
 4fFZqzgZ47a8HwhSLMD1kf8k_huEe7jJbTQFXQRlSshnwOAJoBL85yP7qcSKWBuDgY_vzdcrmF.W
 PT11bthsyCrtwDnP92FaUt0G7T0S0wi0HIdZSvWorj2zfAxbHxv1cg0jUfNhbIpPp5yXzUIyA_RE
 ES6VGaE8q35SWKCCvbfgNEto9xN4yXM9SdB5IrhiiAtjvwBq9bxbBYotqpZ2ygPG_VGudGTM.W5v
 iJFiFIkbhAjvkeo317z5YMVZDbrT4UdoYaeRuB33H9iy8ufgx6Rm8q97DZTY7ptN0BqxlTBAENCq
 QNf6MCaqNmL3OXckUVX0kl2yKkVyMEGWshOIJ9lULh7eyeksY1ZMSHZ5Ef6k_qfPnav584T_tbvN
 jQZtRWgj6TBBuM4g27F9UQ9r.F2DjGELXpegdx2MpVo5qpSfGGxIlNYOqv7zf9aOv1MavB39Bg96
 2gbk8.aGzmaRFQdyh6h2T6QsbvnmOnbPPMjJprUrXFHs6OmzKgH.qQ1efTDS_q6ExY71rCYC3vk7
 vm2vgIv.FSNHhbCC_2nCzNnABpATdGXoOBeHpncX4I0OfoYSUltjoPleAR0GCML.Cx8jIYP0hKi2
 cPxk3QeAhcpxhs.YUYHaTiYEc4YsdQqt2xGEelMBUp7ybOKC3zfCxxVDZtFSaaXe0qjfiTBQ99yM
 a6wU2ZsCo4bSASW9IEmzE_vUkCdJIXsLatIRWJ2osvT5GJdGVXClFzcFQF7xo4FVhRlDc.eaxdgc
 qHdNdUdh.vzUmkrTfdwZzQWEQosFXRN9pYmLVXbmco3riF5aKpGJxqkXagvOfVJI1sN4uGbLtkDU
 dgl9mxW7wl3IPGSw2yOVIAd1gQI0rB_bv1XHYHj.nKnDq7x3KGv6XSae.nSnKWAnGhoVcmtGQFwy
 K4YX.0Bs9QgNgM0rfgdOJ_.L7.Ym.jOIBnfd8R3tSOvZ0.H.OKWjGJ98dMlUnAFG118XA1v5Qm6H
 HheTVuaV.4a2m.z92M3rDYetf8T9f0APWq6TH0XiacldFu6MSYdD.hrLxo0F8p66degcdAZ2zrUn
 6RrBldOV21qVn5K6kT3ubxRL1T74b4RFa6_XmByCzX.11_Fdpspyyb3HofJmlMef.nT.3n29NvLB
 0KxxuU9msDjVS4s0B.ti09dJwUSpPZ1MSjxzyHNQVf0vlE8rbF4XEUWOlUxNv7dhSne3WROtPA7B
 XbfSRP.cci4YNVtuAK9dmTzdRi1fzVQH2LlKDl_EdsyAtOUm8cBFqQpKdI9IWvreOEGaMCB3CKrp
 bxaDL7o9Y9U3IrHVDu7TyXRhBuyVDWJ8govoIfRJ0d64FIglMwVYWMSXET28PTZA6K8HaUdf2zaw
 HDsFm8G5YB1HuIsoLMqyo3STr6FwDyBqX6hONuOLoH4iyf3wISrlKM9c_rGocP77NeYacEaVR2v1
 QwAS4NdcwnaJK1wvp_kabVlZ0QBGLUX6pgTRRFyrwBhsRSzP0DRFY.VelOnvkuYhu3aMlidjgn1b
 G2U2C5rE9GsVf0iFutvE4lrYZZ0DZyql4flZzit_nmlV0esPUoEDCwTEi1xekkEieChZ5biH8tkU
 uN40u9WQmoLtoZO.nZW5UJoo4ucWyxAENN9Z_eKYuFKIeJMfS5W5np.kPz7Tx16qS3W_4jnRaGQe
 gJL2ZigYKOvRAAOp4OJnWEkyuii4T6y1_aCtUh71B9pZHfeYdnqVcNAw9IX2WisHT1g5Yaml2yvE
 pWvbYGXB_XnI-
X-Sonic-MF: <melson.r@att.net>
X-Sonic-ID: da8b6de5-ac2a-45d6-ab6d-472a47f844f5
Received: from sonic.gate.mail.ne1.yahoo.com by sonic310.consmr.mail.gq1.yahoo.com with HTTP; Tue, 6 Oct 2026 02:53:15 +0000
Received: by hermes--production-ne1-d845779f7-4m55r (Yahoo Inc. Hermes SMTP Server) with ESMTPA ID 6078f562de958fcf0fff5a70e64abea2;
          Tue, 06 Oct 2026 02:53:13 +0000 (UTC)
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
 boundary="------------kIX0x4p00X8ydRGXQOWKmNjr"
Message-ID: <338ec6b5-f8f0-4a99-b406-5b7871f9acb4@att.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2026 20:53:11 -0600
List-Id: User questions <freebsd-questions.freebsd.org>
List-Archive: https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-questions
List-Help: <mailto:questions+help@freebsd.org>
List-Post: <mailto:questions@freebsd.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:questions+subscribe@freebsd.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:questions+unsubscribe@freebsd.org>
X-BeenThere: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
List-Id: <freebsd-questions.FreeBSD.org>
List-Post: <mailto:freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
List-Help: <mailto:freebsd-questions+help@FreeBSD.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:freebsd-questions+subscribe@FreeBSD.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:freebsd-questions+unsubscribe@FreeBSD.org>
List-Owner: <mailto:postmaster@FreeBSD.org>
Precedence: list
MIME-Version: 1.0
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird
Subject: Re: Where is your FreeBSD?
To: Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>, Luigi <luigi@lbon.dev>
Cc: questions@freebsd.org
References: <40F0E96E-2996-41A0-8302-A9A11E7AA4E4@lbon.dev>
 <20261005234323.cb3bdb1e.freebsd@edvax.de>
Content-Language: en-US
From: Bob Melson <melson.r@att.net>
Organization: Dept. of Paleocomputing, Whatsamatta U.
In-Reply-To: <20261005234323.cb3bdb1e.freebsd@edvax.de>
X-Mailer: WebService/1.1.26668 mail.backend.jedi.jws.acl:role.jedi.acl.token.atz.jws.hermes.yahoo
X-Spamd-Bar: /
X-Spamd-Result: default: False [0.00 / 15.00];
	SUBJECT_ENDS_QUESTION(1.00)[];
	DMARC_POLICY_ALLOW(-0.50)[att.net,quarantine];
	R_DKIM_ALLOW(-0.20)[att.net:s=s1024];
	R_SPF_ALLOW(-0.20)[+ip4:98.137.64.0/21];
	MIME_GOOD(-0.10)[multipart/alternative,text/plain];
	HAS_ORG_HEADER(0.00)[];
	ARC_NA(0.00)[];
	ASN(0.00)[asn:36647, ipnet:98.137.64.0/20, country:US];
	TO_DN_SOME(0.00)[];
	RCVD_IN_DNSWL_NONE(0.00)[98.137.69.151:from];
	MIME_TRACE(0.00)[0:+,1:+,2:~];
	FREEMAIL_ENVFROM(0.00)[att.net];
	FREEMAIL_FROM(0.00)[att.net];
	RCVD_VIA_SMTP_AUTH(0.00)[];
	MID_RHS_MATCH_FROM(0.00)[];
	MLMMJ_DEST(0.00)[questions@freebsd.org];
	FROM_EQ_ENVFROM(0.00)[];
	FROM_HAS_DN(0.00)[];
	RCPT_COUNT_THREE(0.00)[3];
	RCVD_COUNT_TWO(0.00)[2];
	DWL_DNSWL_NONE(0.00)[att.net:dkim];
	TO_MATCH_ENVRCPT_SOME(0.00)[];
	RCVD_TLS_LAST(0.00)[];
	DKIM_TRACE(0.00)[att.net:+]
X-Rspamd-Queue-Id: 4hzLRK6KxMz4b61

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------kIX0x4p00X8ydRGXQOWKmNjr
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Your history below could easily by my  own, with a (slightly) different 
mix of operating systems and going back to FBSD version 2.  Like you, 
I've looked at the world outside and continue to find FBSD best suited 
for my current usage, just as it has been my OS  of choice in the 
past.That said, I agree 100%.

Gruesse aus Texas,

Bob Melson


On 10/5/26 15:43, Polytropon wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Sep 2026 22:34:36 +0200, Luigi wrote:
>> I wonder, are there more FreeBSD "laptop users" or "server users”
>> out there ?
>>
>> Just curious about your thoughts on the matter.
> I'm using FreeBSD as a desktop and laptop OS on a daily basis.
> My journey started with FreeBSD 4.0 as a desktop OS. Compared
> to the alternatives, I was able to do anything I wanted, for
> as long as I wanted, the way I wanted. Of course I installed
> and configured all the things for programming, productivity,
> office use, multimedia use, gaming, data forensics, network
> diagnostics and so on with the appropriate tools and using
> the config dialogs and files of the respective programs. I'm
> looking around to other OS lands, and everything just looks
> unintuitive, overcomplicated, buggy and done without actual
> thoughts about how things should be done. Saying this as an
> old man coming from a heterogenous OS world (mainframe, PCs,
> workstations, running things like Solaris, IRIX, Linux, even
> DOS - not that one, the other one -, and many others), FreeBSD
> still is my first choice when I want things to just work and
> _not_ fight against my intentions. Today I run FreeBSD, OpenBSD,
> NetBSD (special cases) and Linux on my systems.
>
> FreeBSD is a multi-purpose OS per definition. You can run it
> on servers, workstations, PCs, laptops, embedded systems. Due
> to its licensing, you'll never actually know _where_ is runs,
> maybe in your router? ;-)
>
> Traditionally, FreeBSD is often considered a "server-only OS",
> and that's what it seems to be used for primarily. However,
> don't be fooled by "market share" nonsense telling you people
> don't use it on laptops or that it doesn't work on PCs. It does,
> and they use it. I simply can't be that I'm the only one. :-)
>
>
>

-- 
Robert G. Melson | Rio Grande Microsolutions | El Paso, TX
--
A modern liberal is someone who doesn't care what you do, as long as
it's compulsory.  M. Stanton Evans


--------------kIX0x4p00X8ydRGXQOWKmNjr
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <font face="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif">Your history below could
      easily by my  own, with a (slightly) different mix of operating
      systems and going back to FBSD version 2.  Like you, I've looked
      at the world outside and continue to find FBSD best suited for my
      current usage, just as it has been my OS  of choice in the
      past.That said, I agree 100%.<br>
      <br>
      Gruesse aus Texas,<br>
      <br>
      Bob Melson<br>
      <br>
    </font><br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 10/5/26 15:43, Polytropon wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:20261005234323.cb3bdb1e.freebsd@edvax.de">
      <pre wrap="" class="moz-quote-pre">On Mon, 21 Sep 2026 22:34:36 +0200, Luigi wrote:
</pre>
      <blockquote type="cite">
        <pre wrap="" class="moz-quote-pre">I wonder, are there more FreeBSD "laptop users" or "server users”
out there ?

Just curious about your thoughts on the matter.
</pre>
      </blockquote>
      <pre wrap="" class="moz-quote-pre">
I'm using FreeBSD as a desktop and laptop OS on a daily basis.
My journey started with FreeBSD 4.0 as a desktop OS. Compared
to the alternatives, I was able to do anything I wanted, for
as long as I wanted, the way I wanted. Of course I installed
and configured all the things for programming, productivity,
office use, multimedia use, gaming, data forensics, network
diagnostics and so on with the appropriate tools and using
the config dialogs and files of the respective programs. I'm
looking around to other OS lands, and everything just looks
unintuitive, overcomplicated, buggy and done without actual
thoughts about how things should be done. Saying this as an
old man coming from a heterogenous OS world (mainframe, PCs,
workstations, running things like Solaris, IRIX, Linux, even
DOS - not that one, the other one -, and many others), FreeBSD
still is my first choice when I want things to just work and
_not_ fight against my intentions. Today I run FreeBSD, OpenBSD,
NetBSD (special cases) and Linux on my systems.

FreeBSD is a multi-purpose OS per definition. You can run it
on servers, workstations, PCs, laptops, embedded systems. Due
to its licensing, you'll never actually know _where_ is runs,
maybe in your router? ;-)

Traditionally, FreeBSD is often considered a "server-only OS",
and that's what it seems to be used for primarily. However,
don't be fooled by "market share" nonsense telling you people
don't use it on laptops or that it doesn't work on PCs. It does,
and they use it. I simply can't be that I'm the only one. :-)



</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">-- 
Robert G. Melson | Rio Grande Microsolutions | El Paso, TX
--
A modern liberal is someone who doesn't care what you do, as long as
it's compulsory.  M. Stanton Evans
</pre>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------kIX0x4p00X8ydRGXQOWKmNjr--

From nobody Tue Oct  6 03:58:20 2026
X-Original-To: questions@mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org
Received: from mx1.freebsd.org (mx1.freebsd.org [IPv6:2610:1c1:1:606c::19:1])
	by mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 4hzMtV1PdVz6YxH0
	for <questions@mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org>; Tue, 06 Oct 2026 03:58:26 +0000 (UTC)
	(envelope-from freebsd@dreamchaser.org)
Received: from ns.dreamchaser.org (ns.dreamchaser.org [66.109.141.57])
	(using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (256/256 bits)
	 key-exchange x25519 server-signature RSA-PSS (4096 bits) server-digest SHA256
	 client-signature ECDSA (prime256v1) client-digest SHA256)
	(Client CN "discoveriesinwood.com", Issuer "YE1" (not verified))
	by mx1.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 4hzMtS6VgTz4kcp
	for <questions@freebsd.org>; Tue, 06 Oct 2026 03:58:24 +0000 (UTC)
	(envelope-from freebsd@dreamchaser.org)
Authentication-Results: mx1.freebsd.org;
	dkim=none;
	spf=pass (mx1.freebsd.org: domain of freebsd@dreamchaser.org designates 66.109.141.57 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=freebsd@dreamchaser.org;
	dmarc=none
Received: from [192.168.151.122] (breakaway.dreamchaser.org [192.168.151.122])
	by ns.dreamchaser.org (8.18.1/8.18.1) with ESMTP id 6963wKvk077222;
	Mon, 5 Oct 2026 21:58:21 -0600 (MDT)
	(envelope-from freebsd@dreamchaser.org)
Message-ID: <6a49fb04-b5d5-49dd-a26e-a7a01ebf7f59@dreamchaser.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2026 21:58:20 -0600
List-Id: User questions <freebsd-questions.freebsd.org>
List-Archive: https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-questions
List-Help: <mailto:questions+help@freebsd.org>
List-Post: <mailto:questions@freebsd.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:questions+subscribe@freebsd.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:questions+unsubscribe@freebsd.org>
X-BeenThere: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
List-Id: <freebsd-questions.FreeBSD.org>
List-Post: <mailto:freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
List-Help: <mailto:freebsd-questions+help@FreeBSD.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:freebsd-questions+subscribe@FreeBSD.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:freebsd-questions+unsubscribe@FreeBSD.org>
List-Owner: <mailto:postmaster@FreeBSD.org>
Precedence: list
MIME-Version: 1.0
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird
Reply-To: freebsd@dreamchaser.org
Subject: Re: Where is your FreeBSD?
Content-Language: en-US
To: Duke Normandin <dukeofpurl@gmx.com>
Cc: questions@freebsd.org
References: <40F0E96E-2996-41A0-8302-A9A11E7AA4E4@lbon.dev>
 <20261005234323.cb3bdb1e.freebsd@edvax.de>
 <96598c2a-e9bc-49e6-932e-5d0017141eff@dreamchaser.org>
 <20261005174315.fbae08b13d31d19c930f6ad6@gmx.com>
From: Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org>
In-Reply-To: <20261005174315.fbae08b13d31d19c930f6ad6@gmx.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Greylist: inspected by milter-greylist-4.6.4 (ns.dreamchaser.org [192.168.151.101]); Mon, 05 Oct 2026 21:58:21 -0600 (MDT) for IP:'192.168.151.122' DOMAIN:'breakaway.dreamchaser.org' HELO:'[192.168.151.122]' FROM:'freebsd@dreamchaser.org' RCPT:''
X-Greylist: Sender IP whitelisted, not delayed by milter-greylist-4.6.4 (ns.dreamchaser.org [192.168.151.101]); Mon, 05 Oct 2026 21:58:21 -0600 (MDT)
X-Spamd-Bar: /
X-Spamd-Result: default: False [0.90 / 15.00];
	SUBJECT_ENDS_QUESTION(1.00)[];
	R_SPF_ALLOW(-0.20)[+mx];
	ONCE_RECEIVED(0.20)[];
	MIME_GOOD(-0.10)[text/plain];
	FROM_HAS_DN(0.00)[];
	RCPT_COUNT_TWO(0.00)[2];
	ARC_NA(0.00)[];
	RCVD_COUNT_ONE(0.00)[1];
	ASN(0.00)[asn:21947, ipnet:66.109.128.0/19, country:US];
	TO_DN_SOME(0.00)[];
	MIME_TRACE(0.00)[0:+];
	FREEMAIL_TO(0.00)[gmx.com];
	MID_RHS_MATCH_FROM(0.00)[];
	R_DKIM_NA(0.00)[];
	REPLYTO_ADDR_EQ_FROM(0.00)[];
	FROM_EQ_ENVFROM(0.00)[];
	HAS_REPLYTO(0.00)[freebsd@dreamchaser.org];
	TO_MATCH_ENVRCPT_SOME(0.00)[];
	DMARC_NA(0.00)[dreamchaser.org];
	RCVD_TLS_LAST(0.00)[];
	MLMMJ_DEST(0.00)[questions@freebsd.org];
	REPLYTO_DOM_NEQ_TO_DOM(0.00)[]
X-Rspamd-Queue-Id: 4hzMtS6VgTz4kcp

On 10/5/26 17:43, Duke Normandin wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Oct 2026 17:22:54 -0600
> Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org> wrote:
> 
>> On Mon, 21 Sep 2026 22:34:36 +0200, Luigi wrote:
>>> I wonder, are there more FreeBSD "laptop users" or "server users”
>>> out there ?
...
>> I run fbsd on an ancient PC server, and as my daily workstation on 10 year
>> old home assembled hardware.
> 
> I'm trying to get X (fluxbox) running on FBSD-15.1 on my 2011 ASUS i7 laptop.
> The graphics resolution was locked at 800x600 in the console and X. Got
> the resolution issue ironed out but now I have no X-Windows. xorg chokes on
> `startx' with "No screens found". Any idea on how I can solve this?
> 
> I have 2 graphics card in this box: Intel & nvidia. I've disabled the nvidia by
> choosing the applicable busID. TIA ...

Unfortunately, no. I haven't upgraded to 15, and haven't modified my X environment
(other than tweaking .xinitrc) in ... years? I have an old radeon HD5550 card installed
but I have never gotten its accelerator functions to work, although that is the card
driving my screen. Also have an old nvidia I couldn't get to work either,
so I just gave up on them. I think the HD5550 was not supported by the driver; can't
remember what the nvidia problem was. I get by with slow graphics but sometimes it's
painful (running FreeCAD).

I have a bunch of old xorg.conf.xxx files sitting around, but no xorg.conf;
I think it's just using dumb framebuffer defaults.
I do use a trackball that I have configured but that is done in .xinitrc using xmodmap.

According to /var/log/Xorg.0.log, my config is only coming from the system default
at /usr/local/share/X11/xorg.conf.d; and there are no output configs there -- only
input stuff; and there are no other config files listed in the log.

What I think are relevant portions of the log:
It appears it deleted screen 0 at [41.368] and then automagically recreated it
(see [41.479])

[    40.940] (==) No screen section available. Using defaults.
[    40.940] (**) |-->Screen "Default Screen Section" (0)
[    40.940] (**) |   |-->Monitor "<default monitor>"
[    40.957] (==) No monitor specified for screen "Default Screen Section".
         Using a default monitor configuration.
[    40.957] (**) Allowing byte-swapped clients
...
[    41.117]    X.Org Video Driver: 25.2
[    41.117]    X.Org XInput driver : 24.4
[    41.117]    X.Org Server Extension : 10.0
[    41.132] (--) PCI:*(5@0:0:0) 1002:68da:1545:5550 rev 0, Mem @ 0xd0000000/268435456, 0xfe9e0000/131072, I/O @ 0x0000e000/256, BIO
S @ 0x????????/65536
[    41.137] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
[    41.180] (II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
[    41.298] (II) Module glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[    41.298]    compiled for 1.21.1.16, module version = 1.0.0
[    41.298]    ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 10.0
[    41.298] (==) Matched ati as autoconfigured driver 0
[    41.298] (==) Matched modesetting as autoconfigured driver 1
[    41.298] (==) Matched scfb as autoconfigured driver 2
[    41.298] (==) Matched vesa as autoconfigured driver 3
[    41.298] (==) Assigned the driver to the xf86ConfigLayout
[    41.298] (II) LoadModule: "ati"
[    41.298] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module ati
[    41.298] (EE) Failed to load module "ati" (module does not exist, 0)
[    41.298] (II) LoadModule: "modesetting"
[    41.298] (II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/modesetting_drv.so
[    41.335] (II) Module modesetting: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[    41.335]    compiled for 1.21.1.16, module version = 1.21.1
[    41.335]    Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[    41.335]    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 25.2
[    41.335] (II) LoadModule: "scfb"
[    41.335] (II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/scfb_drv.so
[    41.345] (II) Module scfb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[    41.345]    compiled for 1.21.1.16, module version = 0.0.5
[    41.345]    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 25.2
[    41.345] (II) LoadModule: "vesa"
[    41.345] (II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/vesa_drv.so
[    41.345] (II) Module vesa: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[    41.345]    compiled for 1.21.1.16, module version = 2.5.0
[    41.345]    Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[    41.345]    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 25.2
[    41.345] (II) modesetting: Driver for Modesetting Kernel Drivers: kms
[    41.345] (II) scfb: driver for wsdisplay framebuffer: scfb
[    41.345] (II) VESA: driver for VESA chipsets: vesa
[    41.346] (--) Using syscons driver with X support (version 2.0)
[    41.346] (--) using VT number 9

[    41.368] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
[    41.368] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for modesetting
[    41.368] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
[    41.368] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for scfb
[    41.368] scfb trace: probe start
[    41.368] scfb trace: probe done
[    41.368] (WW) VGA arbiter: cannot open kernel arbiter, no multi-card support
[    41.368] (EE) Screen 0 deleted because of no matching config section.
[    41.368] (II) UnloadModule: "modesetting"
[    41.368] (II) Loading sub module "vbe"
[    41.368] (II) LoadModule: "vbe"
[    41.368] (II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/libint10.so
[    41.407] (II) Module int10: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[    41.407]    compiled for 1.21.1.16, module version = 1.0.0
[    41.407]    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 25.2
[    41.407] (II) Loading sub module "int10"
[    41.407] (II) LoadModule: "int10"
[    41.407] (II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/libint10.so
[    41.407] (II) Module int10: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[    41.407]    compiled for 1.21.1.16, module version = 1.0.0
[    41.407]    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 25.2
[    41.407] (II) VESA(0): initializing int10
[    41.407] (II) VESA(0): Primary V_BIOS segment is: 0xc000
[    41.408] (II) VESA(0): VESA BIOS detected
[    41.408] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE Version 3.0
[    41.408] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE Total Mem: 16384 kB
[    41.408] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM: ATI ATOMBIOS
[    41.408] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Software Rev: 12.20
[    41.408] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Vendor: (C) 1988-2005, ATI Technologies Inc.
[    41.408] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Product: -01R-00
[    41.408] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Product Rev: 01.00
[    41.479] (II) VESA(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
         "Default Screen Section" for depth/fbbpp 24/32
[    41.479] (==) VESA(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
[    41.479] (==) VESA(0): RGB weight 888
[    41.479] (==) VESA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
[    41.479] (==) VESA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
[    41.479] (II) Loading sub module "ddc"
[    41.479] (II) LoadModule: "ddc"
[    41.479] (II) Module "ddc" already built-in
[    41.479] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE DDC supported
[    41.479] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE DDC Level 2
[    41.479] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE DDC transfer in appr. 1 sec.
[    41.619] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE DDC read successfully
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): Manufacturer: NEC  Model: 6662  Serial#: 16843009
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): Year: 2005  Week: 30
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): EDID Version: 1.3
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): Digital Display Input
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): Max Image Size [cm]: horiz.: 38  vert.: 30
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): Gamma: 2.20
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): DPMS capabilities: StandBy Suspend Off
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): Supported color encodings: RGB 4:4:4 YCrCb 4:4:4
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): First detailed timing is preferred mode
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): redX: 0.640 redY: 0.344   greenX: 0.299 greenY: 0.608
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): blueX: 0.145 blueY: 0.074   whiteX: 0.313 whiteY: 0.329
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): Supported established timings:
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): 720x400@70Hz
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): 640x480@60Hz
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): 640x480@67Hz
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): 640x480@72Hz
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): 640x480@75Hz
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): 800x600@56Hz
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): 800x600@60Hz
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): 800x600@72Hz
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): 800x600@75Hz
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): 832x624@75Hz
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): 1024x768@60Hz
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): 1024x768@70Hz
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): 1024x768@75Hz
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): 1280x1024@75Hz
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): 1152x864@75Hz
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): Manufacturer's mask: 0
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): Supported standard timings:
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): #0: hsize: 1152  vsize 864  refresh: 75  vid: 20337
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): #1: hsize: 1280  vsize 960  refresh: 60  vid: 16513
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): #2: hsize: 1280  vsize 1024  refresh: 60  vid: 32897
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): Supported detailed timing:
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): clock: 108.0 MHz   Image Size:  376 x 301 mm
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): h_active: 1280  h_sync: 1328  h_sync_end 1440 h_blank_end 1688 h_border: 0
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): v_active: 1024  v_sync: 1025  v_sync_end 1028 v_blanking: 1066 v_border: 0
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): Ranges: V min: 56 V max: 75 Hz, H min: 31 H max: 81 kHz, PixClock max 145 MHz
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): Monitor name: LCD1970NX
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): Serial No: 57302818YA
[    41.623] (II) VESA(0): EDID (in hex):
...
[    41.702] (II) VESA(0): Total Memory: 256 64KB banks (16384kB)
[    41.702] (II) VESA(0): <default monitor>: Using hsync range of 31.00-81.00 kHz
[    41.702] (II) VESA(0): <default monitor>: Using vrefresh range of 56.00-75.00 Hz
[    41.702] (II) VESA(0): <default monitor>: Using maximum pixel clock of 145.00 MHz
[    41.702] (WW) VESA(0): Unable to estimate virtual size
...
[    41.702] (II) VESA(0): Virtual size is 1280x1024 (pitch 1280)
[    41.702] (**) VESA(0): *Built-in mode "1280x1024"
[    41.702] (**) VESA(0): *Built-in mode "640x480"
[    41.702] (**) VESA(0): *Built-in mode "720x400"
[    41.702] (**) VESA(0): Display dimensions: (380, 300) mm
[    41.702] (**) VESA(0): DPI set to (85, 86)
[    41.702] (**) VESA(0): Using "Shadow Framebuffer"
[    41.702] (II) Loading sub module "shadow"
[    41.702] (II) LoadModule: "shadow"
[    41.702] (II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/libshadow.so
[    41.712] (II) Module shadow: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[    41.712]    compiled for 1.21.1.16, module version = 1.1.0
[    41.712]    ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
[    41.712] (II) Loading sub module "fb"
[    41.712] (II) LoadModule: "fb"
[    41.712] (II) Module "fb" already built-in
[    41.712] (II) UnloadModule: "scfb"
[    41.712] (II) Unloading scfb
[    41.712] (II) Loading sub module "int10"
[    41.712] (II) LoadModule: "int10"
[    41.712] (II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/libint10.so
[    41.712] (II) Module int10: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[    41.712]    compiled for 1.21.1.16, module version = 1.0.0
[    41.712]    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 25.2
[    41.712] (II) VESA(0): initializing int10
[    41.713] (II) VESA(0): Primary V_BIOS segment is: 0xc000
[    41.713] (II) VESA(0): VESA BIOS detected
[    41.713] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE Version 3.0
[    41.713] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE Total Mem: 16384 kB
[    41.713] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM: ATI ATOMBIOS
[    41.713] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Software Rev: 12.20
[    41.713] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Vendor: (C) 1988-2005, ATI Technologies Inc.
[    41.713] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Product: -01R-00
[    41.713] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Product Rev: 01.00
[    41.716] (II) VESA(0): virtual address = 0x842c00000, VGAbase = 0x845400000
         physical address = 0xd0000000, size = 16777216
[    41.723] (II) VESA(0): Setting up VESA Mode 0x124 (1280x1024)
[    41.723] (II) VESA(0): VBESetVBEMode failed, mode set without customized refresh.
[    42.005] (==) VESA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
[    42.044] (==) VESA(0): Backing store enabled
[    42.045] (==) VESA(0): DPMS enabled
... (initializing extensions)
[    42.054] (II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI2 capable
[    46.099] (II) IGLX: Loaded and initialized swrast
[    46.099] (II) GLX: Initialized DRISWRAST GL provider for screen 0
[    46.099] (II) Initializing extension XFree86-VidModeExtension
[    46.099] (II) Initializing extension XFree86-DGA
[    46.099] (II) Initializing extension XFree86-DRI
[    46.099] (II) Initializing extension DRI2

Don't know if this helps or not.

Gary

From nobody Tue Oct  6 06:07:32 2026
X-Original-To: freebsd-questions@mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org
Received: from mx1.freebsd.org (mx1.freebsd.org [IPv6:2610:1c1:1:606c::19:1])
	by mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 4hzQlg0TkHz6Z80s
	for <freebsd-questions@mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org>; Tue, 06 Oct 2026 06:07:43 +0000 (UTC)
	(envelope-from freebsd-questions@dino.sk)
Received: from cm0.netlabit.sk (mailhost.netlabit.sk [84.245.65.72])
	(using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (256/256 bits)
	 key-exchange x25519 server-signature RSA-PSS (4096 bits) server-digest SHA256)
	(Client did not present a certificate)
	by mx1.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 4hzQlf0Jmbz3GND
	for <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>; Tue, 06 Oct 2026 06:07:41 +0000 (UTC)
	(envelope-from freebsd-questions@dino.sk)
Authentication-Results: mx1.freebsd.org;
	dkim=none;
	spf=pass (mx1.freebsd.org: domain of freebsd-questions@dino.sk designates 84.245.65.72 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=freebsd-questions@dino.sk;
	dmarc=none
Received: from dino.sk ([84.245.95.254])
  (AUTH: LOGIN milan, TLS: TLSv1.3,256bits,TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384)
  by cm0.netlabit.sk with ESMTPSA
  id 0000000001173A3A.000000006AC49025.00010452; Tue, 06 Oct 2026 08:07:33 +0200
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2026 08:07:32 +0200
From: Milan Obuch <freebsd-questions@dino.sk>
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc: freebsd@dreamchaser.org
Subject: Re: Where is your FreeBSD?
Message-ID: <20261006080732.57345078.38715446.79530750@dino.sk>
In-Reply-To: <96598c2a-e9bc-49e6-932e-5d0017141eff@dreamchaser.org>
References: <40F0E96E-2996-41A0-8302-A9A11E7AA4E4@lbon.dev>
	<20261005234323.cb3bdb1e.freebsd@edvax.de>
	<96598c2a-e9bc-49e6-932e-5d0017141eff@dreamchaser.org>
X-Mailer: Claws Mail 3.21.0 (GTK+ 2.24.33; amd64-portbld-freebsd15.0)
List-Id: User questions <freebsd-questions.freebsd.org>
List-Archive: https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-questions
List-Help: <mailto:questions+help@freebsd.org>
List-Post: <mailto:questions@freebsd.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:questions+subscribe@freebsd.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:questions+unsubscribe@freebsd.org>
X-BeenThere: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
List-Id: <freebsd-questions.FreeBSD.org>
List-Post: <mailto:freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
List-Help: <mailto:freebsd-questions+help@FreeBSD.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:freebsd-questions+subscribe@FreeBSD.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:freebsd-questions+unsubscribe@FreeBSD.org>
List-Owner: <mailto:postmaster@FreeBSD.org>
Precedence: list
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
X-Spamd-Bar: /
X-Spamd-Result: default: False [0.70 / 15.00];
	SUBJECT_ENDS_QUESTION(1.00)[];
	R_SPF_ALLOW(-0.20)[+mx];
	MIME_GOOD(-0.10)[text/plain];
	RCPT_COUNT_TWO(0.00)[2];
	MID_RHS_MATCH_FROM(0.00)[];
	RCVD_TLS_ALL(0.00)[];
	ARC_NA(0.00)[];
	RCVD_VIA_SMTP_AUTH(0.00)[];
	ASN(0.00)[asn:5578, ipnet:84.245.64.0/18, country:SK];
	R_DKIM_NA(0.00)[];
	MLMMJ_DEST(0.00)[freebsd-questions@freebsd.org];
	DMARC_NA(0.00)[dino.sk];
	FROM_HAS_DN(0.00)[];
	RCVD_COUNT_ONE(0.00)[1];
	FROM_EQ_ENVFROM(0.00)[];
	TO_MATCH_ENVRCPT_SOME(0.00)[];
	TO_DN_NONE(0.00)[];
	MIME_TRACE(0.00)[0:+]
X-Rspamd-Queue-Id: 4hzQlf0Jmbz3GND

On Mon, 5 Oct 2026 17:22:54 -0600
Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Sep 2026 22:34:36 +0200, Luigi wrote:
> > I wonder, are there more FreeBSD "laptop users" or "server users=E2=80=
=9D
> > out there ?
> >
> > Just curious about your thoughts on the matter. =20
>=20
> I run fbsd on an ancient PC server, and as my daily workstation on 10
> year old home assembled hardware. Daily work includes regular office
> stuff, 3d print design, photo editing, remote admin of ubuntu

Out of pure curiosity, what are you using for 3D print design and photo
editing? I have no experience with the former, doing some small
adjustment with GIMP for the later.

> servers, and the usual too much web surfing. My framework laptop runs
> ubuntu, mostly because it's officially supported and the update
> process has so far (4 yrs?) been pretty no-brainer. I only use the
> laptop for things I don't have running on fbsd -- prusa slicer; and

There is cad/PrusaSlicer in ports, does it not work for you? Again, no
experience in this area, just a note.

> occasionally websites I really need that don't work on my fbsd
> firefox with noscript.

For the original question: I started with FreeBSD long ago on the
servers for internet access (simple routers with NAT, proxy, DNS and
sometimes web and mail servers) around 2.2.5 or 2.2.8, my first
workstation was around 2000 (laptop or notebook I do not remember exact
model anymore).

Regards,
Milan

From nobody Tue Oct  6 07:11:37 2026
X-Original-To: freebsd-questions@mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org
Received: from mx1.freebsd.org (mx1.freebsd.org [IPv6:2610:1c1:1:606c::19:1])
	by mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 4hzS9n6pfCz6cSJQ
	for <freebsd-questions@mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org>; Tue, 06 Oct 2026 07:11:57 +0000 (UTC)
	(envelope-from freebsd@qeng-ho.org)
Received: from mx2.mythic-beasts.com (mx2.mythic-beasts.com [IPv6:2a00:1098:0:82:1000:0:2:1])
	(using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (256/256 bits)
	 key-exchange secp256r1 server-signature RSA-PSS (4096 bits) server-digest SHA256)
	(Client did not present a certificate)
	by mx1.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 4hzS9m65ncz3Pvn
	for <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>; Tue, 06 Oct 2026 07:11:56 +0000 (UTC)
	(envelope-from freebsd@qeng-ho.org)
Authentication-Results: mx1.freebsd.org;
	dkim=pass header.d=qeng-ho.org header.s=mythic-beasts-k1 header.b=ZtGsh5HH;
	spf=pass (mx1.freebsd.org: domain of freebsd@qeng-ho.org designates 2a00:1098:0:82:1000:0:2:1 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=freebsd@qeng-ho.org;
	dmarc=none
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; q=dns/txt; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=qeng-ho.org
	; s=mythic-beasts-k1; h=From:To:Subject:Date;
	bh=jviUEnggA9u5bRL7WUScUd7ScRb9tS71Nu6tMO8B+k4=; b=ZtGsh5HHhnvw7O368Wmo70NbJh
	CGMCy0/46/B2coRRdM8BVvbc695ej+9oS6WccyXJwq26N5kxxKNNPvS2fPrfXrRhBtyKdS8pAjM3U
	8qCTs7Y7GKUTiL6bB5+izvjeapPTemtr3b1yIFdyruuigaf8RjbXOM6mGBtIHe6Oa9QFAt6gIY3HY
	1J0AnNZG68JBNL57SHf7gSgOBgqQhXCSeZS1NK4NIU9JGn5gMG6NuQIJ9xZeAiuNYIlFRrQcLv6Am
	3KYUll0QD+fMo/t9aEna2pFNGSUxopiwSq6DRpbCUi+mJSjFcky1ceU3GSAU1AmEsqYrg/NZURDNY
	6r6tA20w==;
Received: by mailhub-hex-d.mythic-beasts.com with esmtpsa  (TLS1.3) tls TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384
	(Exim 4.96)
	(envelope-from <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>)
	id 1xDzL7-00ELX9-1V;
	Tue, 06 Oct 2026 08:11:53 +0100
Message-ID: <1d5652f5-8b6d-4b02-823c-964d1d592588@qeng-ho.org>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2026 08:11:37 +0100
List-Id: User questions <freebsd-questions.freebsd.org>
List-Archive: https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-questions
List-Help: <mailto:questions+help@freebsd.org>
List-Post: <mailto:questions@freebsd.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:questions+subscribe@freebsd.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:questions+unsubscribe@freebsd.org>
X-BeenThere: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
List-Id: <freebsd-questions.FreeBSD.org>
List-Post: <mailto:freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
List-Help: <mailto:freebsd-questions+help@FreeBSD.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:freebsd-questions+subscribe@FreeBSD.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:freebsd-questions+unsubscribe@FreeBSD.org>
List-Owner: <mailto:postmaster@FreeBSD.org>
Precedence: list
MIME-Version: 1.0
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird
Subject: Re: Where is your FreeBSD?
To: Milan Obuch <freebsd-questions@dino.sk>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc: freebsd@dreamchaser.org
References: <40F0E96E-2996-41A0-8302-A9A11E7AA4E4@lbon.dev>
 <20261005234323.cb3bdb1e.freebsd@edvax.de>
 <96598c2a-e9bc-49e6-932e-5d0017141eff@dreamchaser.org>
 <20261006080732.57345078.38715446.79530750@dino.sk>
Content-Language: en-GB
From: Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
In-Reply-To: <20261006080732.57345078.38715446.79530750@dino.sk>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-BlackCat-Spam-Score: 9
X-Spam-Status: No, score=0.9
X-Spamd-Bar: /
X-Spamd-Result: default: False [0.00 / 15.00];
	SUBJECT_ENDS_QUESTION(1.00)[];
	RCVD_DKIM_ARC_DNSWL_MED(-0.50)[];
	R_DKIM_ALLOW(-0.20)[qeng-ho.org:s=mythic-beasts-k1];
	R_SPF_ALLOW(-0.20)[+ip6:2a00:1098:0:82:1000:0:2:0/112];
	RCVD_IN_DNSWL_MED(-0.20)[2a00:1098:0:82:1000:0:2:1:from];
	ONCE_RECEIVED(0.20)[];
	MIME_GOOD(-0.10)[text/plain];
	ARC_NA(0.00)[];
	ASN(0.00)[asn:44684, ipnet:2a00:1098::/32, country:GB];
	RCVD_COUNT_ONE(0.00)[1];
	RCVD_VIA_SMTP_AUTH(0.00)[];
	MIME_TRACE(0.00)[0:+];
	TO_DN_SOME(0.00)[];
	RCVD_TLS_ALL(0.00)[];
	RCPT_COUNT_THREE(0.00)[3];
	FROM_EQ_ENVFROM(0.00)[];
	FROM_HAS_DN(0.00)[];
	DMARC_NA(0.00)[qeng-ho.org];
	TO_MATCH_ENVRCPT_SOME(0.00)[];
	MID_RHS_MATCH_FROM(0.00)[];
	MLMMJ_DEST(0.00)[freebsd-questions@freebsd.org];
	DKIM_TRACE(0.00)[qeng-ho.org:+]
X-Rspamd-Queue-Id: 4hzS9m65ncz3Pvn

On 06/10/2026 07:07, Milan Obuch wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Oct 2026 17:22:54 -0600
> Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org> wrote:
> 
>> On Mon, 21 Sep 2026 22:34:36 +0200, Luigi wrote:
>>> I wonder, are there more FreeBSD "laptop users" or "server users”
>>> out there ?
>>>
>>> Just curious about your thoughts on the matter.  
>>
>> I run fbsd on an ancient PC server, and as my daily workstation on 10
>> year old home assembled hardware. Daily work includes regular office
>> stuff, 3d print design, photo editing, remote admin of ubuntu
> 
> Out of pure curiosity, what are you using for 3D print design and photo
> editing? I have no experience with the former, doing some small
> adjustment with GIMP for the later.

For 3D printing, which I've only just started with, I'm using OpenSCAD
when designing my own parts. It seems to suit a programmer mentality. At
some point I may get round to learning FreeCAD, but time is short and
FreeCAD is huge.

What little photo editing I do is done with Gimp, although I've been
meaning to look at graphics/pinta as a lightweight alternative.

> 
>> servers, and the usual too much web surfing. My framework laptop runs
>> ubuntu, mostly because it's officially supported and the update
>> process has so far (4 yrs?) been pretty no-brainer. I only use the
>> laptop for things I don't have running on fbsd -- prusa slicer; and
> 
> There is cad/PrusaSlicer in ports, does it not work for you? Again, no
> experience in this area, just a note.

Just sent Gary an off-list note about slicers, then saw this. I use Orca
slicer rather than Prusa and it works fine *but only under FreeBSD 15*.
It builds and installs under 14 but won't run successfully. I don't know
about the Prusa slicer, but as Orca is derived from it I suspect the
same may be true.

>> occasionally websites I really need that don't work on my fbsd
>> firefox with noscript.
> 
> For the original question: I started with FreeBSD long ago on the
> servers for internet access (simple routers with NAT, proxy, DNS and
> sometimes web and mail servers) around 2.2.5 or 2.2.8, my first
> workstation was around 2000 (laptop or notebook I do not remember exact
> model anymore).
> 
> Regards,
> Milan


-- 
The worst line of C I ever saw:

#define PI	22/7

From nobody Tue Oct  6 16:43:39 2026
X-Original-To: questions@mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org
Received: from mx1.freebsd.org (mx1.freebsd.org [IPv6:2610:1c1:1:606c::19:1])
	by mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 4hzhsc4JRDz4n9wl
	for <questions@mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org>; Tue, 06 Oct 2026 16:43:48 +0000 (UTC)
	(envelope-from mirror176@hotmail.com)
Received: from SJ2PR03CU001.outbound.protection.outlook.com (mail-westusazolkn190120001.outbound.protection.outlook.com [IPv6:2a01:111:f403:d001::1])
	(using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (256/256 bits)
	 key-exchange secp384r1 server-signature RSA-PSS (4096 bits) server-digest SHA256
	 client-signature RSA-PSS (2048 bits) client-digest SHA256)
	(Client CN "mail.protection.outlook.com", Issuer "DigiCert SHA2 Secure Server CA" (not verified))
	by mx1.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 4hzhsb5hJmz4r0n
	for <questions@freebsd.org>; Tue, 06 Oct 2026 16:43:47 +0000 (UTC)
	(envelope-from mirror176@hotmail.com)
Authentication-Results: mx1.freebsd.org;
	dkim=pass header.d=hotmail.com header.s=selector1 header.b=smgkG4Dd;
	arc=pass ("microsoft.com:s=arcselector10001:i=1");
	spf=pass (mx1.freebsd.org: domain of mirror176@hotmail.com designates 2a01:111:f403:d001::1 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=mirror176@hotmail.com;
	dmarc=pass (policy=none) header.from=hotmail.com
ARC-Seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector10001; d=microsoft.com; cv=none;
 b=bJPtGaDbOmVnyGDAhSe7fxNI+0y9K7fjouU0YOp3iIdUT+g3VgHV7xpSapLadTqsFP/ggTp9/0hsFW2LM4RA9e1ZeF3qTVpIEhGsQDjmmRP9VfBjUZIgkc7krT+GPvHWhXMl0RDa5Vl60a8R/z1vhzsmE53The8clOpWersRTMwPqajrLpg5QvEsK8KWnlXH6QZsJBzn847rI4pnHBvVEXoRE0zp0/mWl+DpBOPNjaxPYuKKDaq3GdQe3Vc3lvYzTpg7L6Q6iTvxF/QA0HMzo0D+s51qcxNK541yuHA2Sux8ZGxeSHZb+Z5BRUsg+kFeGLhODKwZnoEr8LlgZ/ia2w==
ARC-Message-Signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com;
 s=arcselector10001;
 h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1;
 bh=O6R+gbGLtEPW3SjhMaRmDj4J/LGe4JRos2q8kP7WqyU=;
 b=qxU+RiKf8Zraa6ntlHI5uTr2dNTPR5mjTnCDG5LOWahU4UW99ZQbWcZ19/1/6Cvf1P0ostTYd5tA7VpQA6d52rep4OCpOrDzd05NZWyc4F13kdxtIuLzdGciAkT4P3SP+Ya8iOdT2N++txrOllyyfyKL8Ei9w9Nm1opNYTu3gOshmwe1zJl5kkDf0IKIu9W9TrnBHnqMP8YGDBTrgDd51kRERIgad2JXj+2vganE3JI+kHkrEQdx+Xhbtg6gmlgcJycDhMJxcykTExRCvW76+zPkqc3JndP2qnsMB1YYUhaRuHiPJSUqPwpWrGvuujByyU7LYXlmgc6eE0URZpZViw==
ARC-Authentication-Results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=none; dmarc=none;
 dkim=none; arc=none
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=hotmail.com;
 s=selector1;
 h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-SenderADCheck;
 bh=O6R+gbGLtEPW3SjhMaRmDj4J/LGe4JRos2q8kP7WqyU=;
 b=smgkG4Dd5PXff4qHYfXcZ1dNadF1BZo131+NWGqGhbJm8R4vE9jPEz4H5E91o5Gp0eAp0xfMYP/2zPlEgvszHFNP5yBYGlJhU5m7SzKfilfAoijmlReQi7JMvByMJ3EfkRu1A1lfvUC5gQoxlI1wDJJkHN2tLd9hd1iSgmFphOq9qfPsrfYnzUT5BVt3xqidsyK5BFb8bzIsgkHqOKR9slwS0jy60X9q+awM9UZY2J13Pwx3PGvKXqev6ym5Bb9giBYFEHNjMfwQQa5h3ZB4CGVH4BHfzSCiKBbYaJkmnWTfe0G6bVikIkLr2Ct7nRzrTMgepqSPryh9qOTeNFT/SQ==
Received: from SA1PR11MB8811.namprd11.prod.outlook.com (2603:10b6:806:467::18)
 by DM3PPFF28037229.namprd11.prod.outlook.com (2603:10b6:f:fc00::f5f) with
 Microsoft SMTP Server (version=TLS1_2,
 cipher=TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384) id 15.21.496.15; Tue, 6 Oct
 2026 16:43:42 +0000
Received: from SA1PR11MB8811.namprd11.prod.outlook.com
 ([fe80::5fae:75f1:3548:9369]) by SA1PR11MB8811.namprd11.prod.outlook.com
 ([fe80::5fae:75f1:3548:9369%5]) with mapi id 15.21.0472.016; Tue, 6 Oct 2026
 16:43:42 +0000
Message-ID:
 <SA1PR11MB88116786EEB96089B7F91B28E6952@SA1PR11MB8811.namprd11.prod.outlook.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2026 09:43:39 -0700
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird
Subject: Re: Where is your FreeBSD?
To: questions@freebsd.org
References: <40F0E96E-2996-41A0-8302-A9A11E7AA4E4@lbon.dev>
 <20261005234323.cb3bdb1e.freebsd@edvax.de>
 <96598c2a-e9bc-49e6-932e-5d0017141eff@dreamchaser.org>
 <20261005174315.fbae08b13d31d19c930f6ad6@gmx.com>
 <6a49fb04-b5d5-49dd-a26e-a7a01ebf7f59@dreamchaser.org>
Content-Language: en-US
From: "Edward Sanford Sutton, III" <mirror176@hotmail.com>
In-Reply-To: <6a49fb04-b5d5-49dd-a26e-a7a01ebf7f59@dreamchaser.org>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-ClientProxiedBy: BLAPR05CA0010.namprd05.prod.outlook.com
 (2603:10b6:208:36e::19) To SA1PR11MB8811.namprd11.prod.outlook.com
 (2603:10b6:806:467::18)
X-Microsoft-Original-Message-ID:
 <a0f6f592-f596-4d12-87b0-08a90252df87@hotmail.com>
List-Id: User questions <freebsd-questions.freebsd.org>
List-Archive: https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-questions
List-Help: <mailto:questions+help@freebsd.org>
List-Post: <mailto:questions@freebsd.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:questions+subscribe@freebsd.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:questions+unsubscribe@freebsd.org>
X-BeenThere: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
List-Id: <freebsd-questions.FreeBSD.org>
List-Post: <mailto:freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
List-Help: <mailto:freebsd-questions+help@FreeBSD.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:freebsd-questions+subscribe@FreeBSD.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:freebsd-questions+unsubscribe@FreeBSD.org>
List-Owner: <mailto:postmaster@FreeBSD.org>
Precedence: list
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-MS-Exchange-MessageSentRepresentingType: 1
X-MS-PublicTrafficType: Email
X-MS-TrafficTypeDiagnostic: SA1PR11MB8811:EE_|DM3PPFF28037229:EE_
X-MS-Office365-Filtering-Correlation-Id: 8ecfeb47-9529-4085-0161-08df23c8fb2f
X-Microsoft-Antispam:
	BCL:0;ARA:14566002|6090799003|15080799012|5072599009|24021099003|39105399006|19110799012|8060799015|23021999003|12121999013|41001999006|20031999006|22091999003|24121999003|24071999003|25031999004|4140399003|25010399006|56899033|440099028|3412199025|40105399003|12091999003|2607281247196008|25131999003;
X-Microsoft-Antispam-Message-Info:
	=?utf-8?B?QUVUUkkycFVjUEE3Rk1wejd0M2tyM0ZlYURKaVZlOTZjRC81R2pGUlpxZndD?=
 =?utf-8?B?Tm01dDhDcFpmd0ZIOUFRZFYwSTBwM2pEMElWYkQ1MzRQVkhTWC94QzRob3I3?=
 =?utf-8?B?dy9UdnlMTTF1a1Q0R0hmbnFtbG1nTmFYbEhiWFFCTS9HS3J1VHpKcUFzaG1j?=
 =?utf-8?B?WTVhdkNudkh2QllXYzQyR3gySzk2RldZUjJiZDFWczA0SVZNWFR5bzN3blhV?=
 =?utf-8?B?VHlzV252bEo1N1JTSGhjcjNjNVhkRnN5NW9UL0d0NCtYQjl4RTZiR3R3Tnh4?=
 =?utf-8?B?ZitpVlhFZW5LNmtONk5LbDFkeExRNGROUCtlUlZ1T2g5R0pNNXB2d0VJL0Rp?=
 =?utf-8?B?clVLTDJpZzhHZHNHSGVwNW0wRGFmLy9rOHJwQXJ1WXlVRWRPcWZMQTQ4Q0t0?=
 =?utf-8?B?NnFlVlRxcFVkREs0Tlk0bkVaTUdnYWkyWXNja3F2Skc3dVBpR1JCbGVhclpW?=
 =?utf-8?B?WXB6d21zVStDcHA2SFdLMEFBekJWRDF1SHN1cXZadHFvL1ZoKzBwcXRwN1ZK?=
 =?utf-8?B?a0Iya25wNXM3c3FJSDA1ZzBiQWtFVnB4am80T2tEVk5LZ0pwNUxzb3hWV1Fr?=
 =?utf-8?B?cW1HajhjNFk5L0xIdGJYa25tNlcwMldIaURCVGZOSVRHZWxhVHd6ekZCUzBs?=
 =?utf-8?B?N3k5SWw5VWNDMmswSnRxcmpYODZGSEtEK1A4dGo0cjJOSmY2QkpJNVNPZWNY?=
 =?utf-8?B?WFEzeUtwRzdqdXduMkNvakVXalVHTzNHQmJiMDNnakdTa09tM1BoZkFsNlVr?=
 =?utf-8?B?RlVDL1NKaDNHZk96QWFhcENjUkJSQmJCY2Z5eDNFU3FRclFTK1dvRkJKT25S?=
 =?utf-8?B?cGh6dzh0WVU3VWswVDhJcC9hNVorYUJFa05LUGJVMDVXM2RBMjhGNUNkdkFY?=
 =?utf-8?B?SExuVWhFRWE0aTBzZ1k0aldyeEpQVWc3c0xqWmFvZGtlejBGNjdZU2VmbEJY?=
 =?utf-8?B?R2pVMXdjWHcwYzZuM01YZmlQbTRMVUJuZnVHYWRQVHljYnQ3Q2VrOUtSN2Zh?=
 =?utf-8?B?Y2ZMYnNmUjBDcGlvTGlubXFxL282enVGZlBYOHJGQm03M20wL3RKSjN0bklY?=
 =?utf-8?B?dXMyM3doak9mbzlXTFFhWFZ3bEJCOWJUZm5WWHdtTWpjem9HYXNpMm5TVUcz?=
 =?utf-8?B?QmdPQnAwR1h4c2htR05iT2tLNkVld216RU8wMHFoQzZHOHg1dkQ5NTY5UVRx?=
 =?utf-8?B?YldmOGFjSDRQK3lLSXJSRktlS3RmOTNWRmJuOEtBbXVTLzY4Szd6akpPNEo2?=
 =?utf-8?B?WC9HdFdCV29sZ2RHeXRKdWdJK1cxNVFSdTlXRzJ4VndoZTVlSlZ1enJ4eTdL?=
 =?utf-8?B?WXFxWG85cElkTjhVNndEK293NU55STdJbDM0bERNOUxSVDBIZDlZdXQ3SVBr?=
 =?utf-8?B?aitQY0lnRWV6empWWnp2d0xtbC9mc1JIWU9kS0U4Yyt3c3lWd0NZaGFkNE9E?=
 =?utf-8?B?eDdYcW0wY3ZPcGpFdFM0VjRoc1AwcGFDNlZmKzUxeHh4UjlvN20zdWhjQ0hN?=
 =?utf-8?B?cXZGMGc2Wk5lbHRyYjFGaUNKbG1XbGZaOVJTTmpvN2N0R09nLzYwQkFFdTRn?=
 =?utf-8?B?Nmt1KysxRzhLTnlmc0h6QTFINkQxR0NLU250Q1oxTlhpQmdpVjhaV0x1NEFD?=
 =?utf-8?B?ZHdwR1NtcEVBZmdwV0VFZmordGlnZ0NwS3ZnWU5mc3RDVjYzM2VwVC9paUpw?=
 =?utf-8?Q?jKaYjHnrTqty1WPtJDXD?=
X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount: 1
X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:
	=?utf-8?B?ZGVDSlNUazUzVXRGeWIvc2pVdDlSalZ6MUxLaXhtdFZ1emhuVlhjTDlpZXBj?=
 =?utf-8?B?bk4ydFRXcmhmRm5HUUw5WkhCK1lGUit1VXpQYkphakZqdHlVNnBmOVVGMXhj?=
 =?utf-8?B?TXQyMHJnenZnc1U0czZRdmhSeU9qUDZrUDZiRzl2REV5bmo2aGRweWJ4enBH?=
 =?utf-8?B?ZERGY2NacHNGb2dJTUdvRDFTTGxwVG94UUVHeGozY3ZUT0IwdndWeG9DaGZw?=
 =?utf-8?B?aHNWQTJ4azRjbVkyNlNKcklSWk5VOG1meUV5Q2JRVnk3K1p3QTdCb2ZzQ0dM?=
 =?utf-8?B?RXRVWk5ZZ21jR1RxS212UExubHZoRDBHSC81WHhVbnNNSFNLcm9ERmQwVDJK?=
 =?utf-8?B?RU1kTndRM0xNZXlYZXQ0RTlHQXM2NkIxUWtVSWY5WmtqRVpzdmhhN2M1RXls?=
 =?utf-8?B?U29rSlV4YmZCc2xuTmRRbEIvQXc5RHFPVWVsVlJ4RHU0RExGZGE1ZjNlT0F4?=
 =?utf-8?B?NXY3QzJLMG5oSXUxQThMWGZFZFlLOHZCYys3VFNGUiswblRpdUY0TVdoWjZr?=
 =?utf-8?B?TGhOR2VmaHh4UHRQUlN4dlBwZFU5c00rcy9YbnpNRXhJbkMzeC9GK1dKOHR6?=
 =?utf-8?B?cmY5cnJwTnJtOUNQMEMraVFlcURHV1BzaVdiYzBQR0Y0ZWc3YXlCQytRZXZp?=
 =?utf-8?B?RVM1Tmx5RlZJcTVOZWVvNTcrRG92VWE0ZzhLTG8wck1nRDI3U2RMazVnQXFw?=
 =?utf-8?B?dFBDUTVFNGV1bW5USjJKaHNQd1Y4OFZRUkdrclBVT0YxbU1WeE0ydTVldWpL?=
 =?utf-8?B?UEk5Z2NzNnN2Z0tUZjNwRVpaRGFpNHdwRHhUa3dpMmJxclNqSjNIRXBkc0Fq?=
 =?utf-8?B?cVVodDFqL29GQ29wR3hMV3ZTbG9GVlZhdGNEWWtJQ0ZTNWovQ1VldnFKaGhS?=
 =?utf-8?B?TWgvREFKNnM4UlBkZGROU1g4SldBUEpqeFY2TGE3RmFaQUFndHVjVzdlczhr?=
 =?utf-8?B?MVhzYXBLTUVpay9GdGM1ZGdUZWVSd25GcVhvbnJPbFpwamJQcTNmYlhkWWhM?=
 =?utf-8?B?OThLRkhDZXkzM1BVN2RpWVd4cHlrdW9xNjZmWEJmcjNHUUM2dCsrdnIvamt1?=
 =?utf-8?B?Qjc0SzBvZWZicC9udzllWmFMRUlmMmxROWtkanJPNTU5ZkFweFFhenJOTFZC?=
 =?utf-8?B?ZDNDVkdUN3N3TVc2bWo5a2ZHZkpJTVdyYjQ0ZktSZFk4RkU5K2hNRDVaaXFX?=
 =?utf-8?B?bXA0M1l5UVhNQS90QlVEcGE5MFNleDd3MDVybU55MFJBSVRsbFU3cUJMQ0Nv?=
 =?utf-8?B?Qm5FS2FIQTdWUkdTTCtLcElwSysyUzNVZVBHTWFuQVBTODlIU2lOQjZpbE1Z?=
 =?utf-8?B?OG1uOVFVUUJVbmFPajhHQ0ZPRS9vTTU1VmRNaHlid1RiYVk5TzhHRE1KQTcx?=
 =?utf-8?B?dVVIVDdRWmZtT2YwNm96bHNaTmNUSWkvQXVsczFaNlV4Q3J3SGZFT0l2QTVq?=
 =?utf-8?B?U1FKVk1VZXJ5SlNhckUxZnlWUnVvNURKM0VjYjFWeS9FaWp1ZERRelBMMWhC?=
 =?utf-8?B?QXdZb0l3OGQ0TXpocXUwR3R5QmZ5eXlaQ2dtMWxKUzMzeGFXVjAzNEkxbnAv?=
 =?utf-8?B?VlJlVlo5T2pZdWZHWXZycWpweE80ZllnWnc2SHVwTGpTZDFiM1ZaNmJ3ckVy?=
 =?utf-8?B?UzVMMXlzOE5OZkpFMjRJU29JcTVSMUZZZS9LQnRpY0lXZXVqVnFESWR1d0JB?=
 =?utf-8?B?d0RTTUdqYzB1THBGL05lUHVMdUdZa1pVcWpPaDgvYVhnbGl4ZksvTmpHRzlo?=
 =?utf-8?B?QUF4Y2c2dTRVa1FDWWxuTjkwOTQrZjArZmgyREpVbTd3bzI0NllNL3lGQnVy?=
 =?utf-8?B?RTM0aHBVUUE3SzR6M3JSNG9lVUdSTVlrVjlCeFdZUTJsSlNoRTZSVHVBYTZk?=
 =?utf-8?Q?EQfN0TxQ6WCWo?=
X-OriginatorOrg: sct-15-20-9412-4-msonline-outlook-a6b68.templateTenant
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-Network-Message-Id: 8ecfeb47-9529-4085-0161-08df23c8fb2f
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-AuthSource: SA1PR11MB8811.namprd11.prod.outlook.com
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-AuthAs: Internal
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-OriginalArrivalTime: 06 Oct 2026 16:43:42.7279
 (UTC)
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-FromEntityHeader: Hosted
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-Id: 84df9e7f-e9f6-40af-b435-aaaaaaaaaaaa
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-RMS-PersistedConsumerOrg:
	00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
X-MS-Exchange-Transport-CrossTenantHeadersStamped: DM3PPFF28037229
X-Spamd-Bar: +
X-Spamd-Result: default: False [1.50 / 15.00];
	FORGED_MUA_THUNDERBIRD_MSGID_UNKNOWN(2.50)[];
	ARC_ALLOW(-1.00)[microsoft.com:s=arcselector10001:i=1];
	SUBJECT_ENDS_QUESTION(1.00)[];
	DMARC_POLICY_ALLOW(-0.50)[hotmail.com,none];
	R_DKIM_ALLOW(-0.20)[hotmail.com:s=selector1];
	R_SPF_ALLOW(-0.20)[+ip6:2a01:111:f403:d000::/53];
	MIME_GOOD(-0.10)[text/plain];
	ASN(0.00)[asn:8075, ipnet:2a01:111:f000::/36, country:US];
	FREEMAIL_ENVFROM(0.00)[hotmail.com];
	FREEMAIL_FROM(0.00)[hotmail.com];
	RCPT_COUNT_ONE(0.00)[1];
	RCVD_IN_DNSWL_NONE(0.00)[2a01:111:f403:d001::1:from];
	MIME_TRACE(0.00)[0:+];
	DWL_DNSWL_NONE(0.00)[hotmail.com:dkim];
	MLMMJ_DEST(0.00)[questions@freebsd.org];
	TO_DN_NONE(0.00)[];
	RCVD_COUNT_TWO(0.00)[2];
	FROM_EQ_ENVFROM(0.00)[];
	TO_MATCH_ENVRCPT_ALL(0.00)[];
	FROM_HAS_DN(0.00)[];
	RCVD_TLS_LAST(0.00)[];
	DKIM_TRACE(0.00)[hotmail.com:+]
X-Rspamd-Queue-Id: 4hzhsb5hJmz4r0n

On 10/5/26 20:58, Gary Aitken wrote:
> On 10/5/26 17:43, Duke Normandin wrote:
>> On Mon, 5 Oct 2026 17:22:54 -0600
>> Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org> wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, 21 Sep 2026 22:34:36 +0200, Luigi wrote:
>>>> I wonder, are there more FreeBSD "laptop users" or "server users”
>>>> out there ?
> ...
>>> I run fbsd on an ancient PC server, and as my daily workstation on 10 
>>> year
>>> old home assembled hardware.
>>
>> I'm trying to get X (fluxbox) running on FBSD-15.1 on my 2011 ASUS i7 
>> laptop.
>> The graphics resolution was locked at 800x600 in the console and X. Got
>> the resolution issue ironed out but now I have no X-Windows. xorg 
>> chokes on
>> `startx' with "No screens found". Any idea on how I can solve this?
>>
>> I have 2 graphics card in this box: Intel & nvidia. I've disabled the 
>> nvidia by
>> choosing the applicable busID. TIA ...
> 
> Unfortunately, no. I haven't upgraded to 15, and haven't modified my X 
> environment
> (other than tweaking .xinitrc) in ... years? I have an old radeon HD5550 
> card installed
> but I have never gotten its accelerator functions to work, although that 
> is the card
> driving my screen. Also have an old nvidia I couldn't get to work either,
> so I just gave up on them. I think the HD5550 was not supported by the 
> driver; can't
> remember what the nvidia problem was. I get by with slow graphics but 
> sometimes it's
> painful (running FreeCAD).

   I had AMD (ATI) Radeon HD4870 and 4850 cards which I haven't tried 
again since all pulling in drm Linux drivers stuff became popular and 
used to be a natively written driver. If amdgpu doesn't drive your 
graphics then you may need to use radeon instead. I thought x11 had 
separate driver ports for both too and you needed to separately install 
x11-drivers/xf86-video-amdgpu or its xlibre counterpart accordingly 
though I'm not sure where the radeon one is/went or if its just bad 
memory on my part. If memory serves, I had to load its driver to stop it 
from pumping out high heat all the time and may have been required to 
get fan speeds to drop but I haven't tried it in so long I don't 
remember. Back when I tried them with the natively written drivers they 
had limited acceleration support but there was some. Stability at the 
time also wasn't great which I think some of that was a limitation of 
the state of the drivers. Back then it was also known that on official 
drivers + operating systems that Nvidia had a much better driver 
experience and I tried it anyway having picked them up as a great deal 
with a CPU but alas the subpar experience had me switch back. AMD also 
gave their final release for Windows as a 'very' buggy release before 
they abandoned support which is further made fun by them removing old 
driver links. I don't remember what I had to do outside the handbook 
instructions but there may have been requirements for that. I seem to 
recall last I tried that there were missing steps on the AMD side. If 
you only tried amdgpu then I'd try the radeon choice (or vice versa) as 
one supported older cards than the other. Similarly try swapping out amd 
with ati for the x11-drivers/xf86-video-* stuff. If you get it working, 
don't be lazy like me and actually open up a bugzilla report so 
documentation can actually be correct for your GPU; some may say its old 
enough to not matter but I'd say either we should remove the ports if 
its so old to not care or we should document it properly which in my 
experience hasn't even happend for new cards either (hopefully I'm wrong 
and they fixed it).
   My old Nvidia GTX570 is still what I'm stuck using today. Setting it 
up required I 'not' follow handbook instructions. Installed the nvidia 
driver from ports that was compatible (v390 is where nvidia abandoned 
this series of card unfortunately). The handbook steps for configuring X 
were always wrong and I had to run a command, if documented at all said 
it shouldn't be used anymore, to create an xorg.conf. Manual 
configuration was still appropriate as the automatics seemed a bit 
lacking. Screen tearing on video playback was something that I'd 
periodically fight with and after getting it figured out I'd have the 
fight come back as something would change a short time later with an 
update and bring it back so nvidia has given me years of screen tearing 
which seemed a trend of hardware that they added a few generations 
before it. Currently the old drivers are incompatible with a number of 
programs and that number is increasing. Though some programs have added 
requirements for newer video APIs than it supports, a number of programs 
seem to break which as best as I could tell was caused by grievances 
resulting between nvidia drivers being proprietary+mesa(?) graphics devs 
not wanting to handle nvidia bugs and passed it off to each and every 
program developer to individually deal with. At least some of this 
seemed caused by egl or something being only partially implemented in 
the driver at the time the drivers no longer receive updates. It was 
actually more complete in the Linux part of the FreeBSD driver if memory 
serves and I wondered if its possible to mix and match "some" files of 
the driver with a later driver that had more complete support; seems 
Nvidia abandons some drivers and its in a 'bad' state too. In any case, 
this GPU was from around the time where running it without a driver 
could leave fans at 100% until the driver was loaded and not all cards 
had fans designed for sustained 100% load so some GPUs can be damaged by 
booting getting stuck at a BIOS/UEFI after power comes back following an 
outage, you run an OS which doesn't have a driver including tools like 
memtest86, etc. Under FreeBSD this card is best used with UEFI booting 
as I found that BIOS booting required either I switch the terminals to 
text only or else returning to the terminals from X had messed up 
graphics instead of usable characters.
   I had a short time I got to try a readeon rx6950 or whatever the card 
was that was only a few generations back. Following the handbook would 
again not work as the handbook was lacking steps even on this modern 
card. After I got it working I had to again break the recommendation of 
not creating an X configuration since without it the GPU could not drive 
a monitor at its full 240Hz refresh rate (forget if it capped at 144 or 
60 but it was definitely lower).
   I more recently switched to xlibre to try it out with the GIX570. 
Automatics worked much better out of the box to get a working display 
than xorg but it had an issue loading the non-nvidia modules instead of 
the nvidia ones which messed some stuff up for 'proper' support.the 
modules were fixed with

/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/modules.conf:
Section "Files"
         ModulePath "/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/.nvidia/"
         ModulePath "/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules"
EndSection
Section "Module"
         Load "freetype"
EndSection

After that I found that screen tearing, though not eliminated, has been 
much less to where often its effectively eliminated and I didn't jump 
through any hoops to get it there. I haven't gone back and tried the 
older or newer AMD cards again.

> I have a bunch of old xorg.conf.xxx files sitting around, but no xorg.conf;
> I think it's just using dumb framebuffer defaults.
> I do use a trackball that I have configured but that is done in .xinitrc 
> using xmodmap.
> 
> According to /var/log/Xorg.0.log, my config is only coming from the 
> system default
> at /usr/local/share/X11/xorg.conf.d; and there are no output configs 
> there -- only
> input stuff; and there are no other config files listed in the log.
> 
> What I think are relevant portions of the log:
> It appears it deleted screen 0 at [41.368] and then automagically 
> recreated it
> (see [41.479])
> 
> [    40.940] (==) No screen section available. Using defaults.
> [    40.940] (**) |-->Screen "Default Screen Section" (0)
> [    40.940] (**) |   |-->Monitor "<default monitor>"
> [    40.957] (==) No monitor specified for screen "Default Screen Section".
>          Using a default monitor configuration.
> [    40.957] (**) Allowing byte-swapped clients
> ...
> [    41.117]    X.Org Video Driver: 25.2
> [    41.117]    X.Org XInput driver : 24.4
> [    41.117]    X.Org Server Extension : 10.0
> [    41.132] (--) PCI:*(5@0:0:0) 1002:68da:1545:5550 rev 0, Mem @ 
> 0xd0000000/268435456, 0xfe9e0000/131072, I/O @ 0x0000e000/256, BIO
> S @ 0x????????/65536
> [    41.137] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
> [    41.180] (II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
> [    41.298] (II) Module glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> [    41.298]    compiled for 1.21.1.16, module version = 1.0.0
> [    41.298]    ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 10.0
> [    41.298] (==) Matched ati as autoconfigured driver 0
> [    41.298] (==) Matched modesetting as autoconfigured driver 1
> [    41.298] (==) Matched scfb as autoconfigured driver 2
> [    41.298] (==) Matched vesa as autoconfigured driver 3
> [    41.298] (==) Assigned the driver to the xf86ConfigLayout
> [    41.298] (II) LoadModule: "ati"
> [    41.298] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module ati
> [    41.298] (EE) Failed to load module "ati" (module does not exist, 0)
> [    41.298] (II) LoadModule: "modesetting"
> [    41.298] (II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ 
> modesetting_drv.so
> [    41.335] (II) Module modesetting: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> [    41.335]    compiled for 1.21.1.16, module version = 1.21.1
> [    41.335]    Module class: X.Org Video Driver
> [    41.335]    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 25.2
> [    41.335] (II) LoadModule: "scfb"
> [    41.335] (II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/scfb_drv.so
> [    41.345] (II) Module scfb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> [    41.345]    compiled for 1.21.1.16, module version = 0.0.5
> [    41.345]    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 25.2
> [    41.345] (II) LoadModule: "vesa"
> [    41.345] (II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/vesa_drv.so
> [    41.345] (II) Module vesa: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> [    41.345]    compiled for 1.21.1.16, module version = 2.5.0
> [    41.345]    Module class: X.Org Video Driver
> [    41.345]    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 25.2
> [    41.345] (II) modesetting: Driver for Modesetting Kernel Drivers: kms
> [    41.345] (II) scfb: driver for wsdisplay framebuffer: scfb
> [    41.345] (II) VESA: driver for VESA chipsets: vesa
> [    41.346] (--) Using syscons driver with X support (version 2.0)
> [    41.346] (--) using VT number 9
> 
> [    41.368] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
> [    41.368] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for modesetting
> [    41.368] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
> [    41.368] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for scfb
> [    41.368] scfb trace: probe start
> [    41.368] scfb trace: probe done
> [    41.368] (WW) VGA arbiter: cannot open kernel arbiter, no multi-card 
> support
> [    41.368] (EE) Screen 0 deleted because of no matching config section.
> [    41.368] (II) UnloadModule: "modesetting"
> [    41.368] (II) Loading sub module "vbe"
> [    41.368] (II) LoadModule: "vbe"
> [    41.368] (II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/libint10.so
> [    41.407] (II) Module int10: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> [    41.407]    compiled for 1.21.1.16, module version = 1.0.0
> [    41.407]    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 25.2
> [    41.407] (II) Loading sub module "int10"
> [    41.407] (II) LoadModule: "int10"
> [    41.407] (II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/libint10.so
> [    41.407] (II) Module int10: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> [    41.407]    compiled for 1.21.1.16, module version = 1.0.0
> [    41.407]    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 25.2
> [    41.407] (II) VESA(0): initializing int10
> [    41.407] (II) VESA(0): Primary V_BIOS segment is: 0xc000
> [    41.408] (II) VESA(0): VESA BIOS detected
> [    41.408] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE Version 3.0
> [    41.408] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE Total Mem: 16384 kB
> [    41.408] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM: ATI ATOMBIOS
> [    41.408] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Software Rev: 12.20
> [    41.408] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Vendor: (C) 1988-2005, ATI 
> Technologies Inc.
> [    41.408] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Product: -01R-00
> [    41.408] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Product Rev: 01.00
> [    41.479] (II) VESA(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen 
> section
>          "Default Screen Section" for depth/fbbpp 24/32
> [    41.479] (==) VESA(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
> [    41.479] (==) VESA(0): RGB weight 888
> [    41.479] (==) VESA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
> [    41.479] (==) VESA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
> [    41.479] (II) Loading sub module "ddc"
> [    41.479] (II) LoadModule: "ddc"
> [    41.479] (II) Module "ddc" already built-in
> [    41.479] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE DDC supported
> [    41.479] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE DDC Level 2
> [    41.479] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE DDC transfer in appr. 1 sec.
> [    41.619] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE DDC read successfully
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): Manufacturer: NEC  Model: 6662  Serial#: 
> 16843009
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): Year: 2005  Week: 30
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): EDID Version: 1.3
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): Digital Display Input
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): Max Image Size [cm]: horiz.: 38  vert.: 30
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): Gamma: 2.20
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): DPMS capabilities: StandBy Suspend Off
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): Supported color encodings: RGB 4:4:4 YCrCb 4:4:4
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): First detailed timing is preferred mode
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): redX: 0.640 redY: 0.344   greenX: 0.299 
> greenY: 0.608
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): blueX: 0.145 blueY: 0.074   whiteX: 0.313 
> whiteY: 0.329
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): Supported established timings:
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): 720x400@70Hz
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): 640x480@60Hz
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): 640x480@67Hz
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): 640x480@72Hz
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): 640x480@75Hz
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): 800x600@56Hz
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): 800x600@60Hz
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): 800x600@72Hz
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): 800x600@75Hz
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): 832x624@75Hz
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): 1024x768@60Hz
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): 1024x768@70Hz
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): 1024x768@75Hz
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): 1280x1024@75Hz
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): 1152x864@75Hz
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): Manufacturer's mask: 0
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): Supported standard timings:
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): #0: hsize: 1152  vsize 864  refresh: 75  vid: 
> 20337
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): #1: hsize: 1280  vsize 960  refresh: 60  vid: 
> 16513
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): #2: hsize: 1280  vsize 1024  refresh: 60  
> vid: 32897
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): Supported detailed timing:
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): clock: 108.0 MHz   Image Size:  376 x 301 mm
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): h_active: 1280  h_sync: 1328  h_sync_end 1440 
> h_blank_end 1688 h_border: 0
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): v_active: 1024  v_sync: 1025  v_sync_end 1028 
> v_blanking: 1066 v_border: 0
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): Ranges: V min: 56 V max: 75 Hz, H min: 31 H 
> max: 81 kHz, PixClock max 145 MHz
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): Monitor name: LCD1970NX
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): Serial No: 57302818YA
> [    41.623] (II) VESA(0): EDID (in hex):
> ...
> [    41.702] (II) VESA(0): Total Memory: 256 64KB banks (16384kB)
> [    41.702] (II) VESA(0): <default monitor>: Using hsync range of 
> 31.00-81.00 kHz
> [    41.702] (II) VESA(0): <default monitor>: Using vrefresh range of 
> 56.00-75.00 Hz
> [    41.702] (II) VESA(0): <default monitor>: Using maximum pixel clock 
> of 145.00 MHz
> [    41.702] (WW) VESA(0): Unable to estimate virtual size
> ...
> [    41.702] (II) VESA(0): Virtual size is 1280x1024 (pitch 1280)
> [    41.702] (**) VESA(0): *Built-in mode "1280x1024"
> [    41.702] (**) VESA(0): *Built-in mode "640x480"
> [    41.702] (**) VESA(0): *Built-in mode "720x400"
> [    41.702] (**) VESA(0): Display dimensions: (380, 300) mm
> [    41.702] (**) VESA(0): DPI set to (85, 86)
> [    41.702] (**) VESA(0): Using "Shadow Framebuffer"
> [    41.702] (II) Loading sub module "shadow"
> [    41.702] (II) LoadModule: "shadow"
> [    41.702] (II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/libshadow.so
> [    41.712] (II) Module shadow: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> [    41.712]    compiled for 1.21.1.16, module version = 1.1.0
> [    41.712]    ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
> [    41.712] (II) Loading sub module "fb"
> [    41.712] (II) LoadModule: "fb"
> [    41.712] (II) Module "fb" already built-in
> [    41.712] (II) UnloadModule: "scfb"
> [    41.712] (II) Unloading scfb
> [    41.712] (II) Loading sub module "int10"
> [    41.712] (II) LoadModule: "int10"
> [    41.712] (II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/libint10.so
> [    41.712] (II) Module int10: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> [    41.712]    compiled for 1.21.1.16, module version = 1.0.0
> [    41.712]    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 25.2
> [    41.712] (II) VESA(0): initializing int10
> [    41.713] (II) VESA(0): Primary V_BIOS segment is: 0xc000
> [    41.713] (II) VESA(0): VESA BIOS detected
> [    41.713] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE Version 3.0
> [    41.713] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE Total Mem: 16384 kB
> [    41.713] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM: ATI ATOMBIOS
> [    41.713] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Software Rev: 12.20
> [    41.713] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Vendor: (C) 1988-2005, ATI 
> Technologies Inc.
> [    41.713] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Product: -01R-00
> [    41.713] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Product Rev: 01.00
> [    41.716] (II) VESA(0): virtual address = 0x842c00000, VGAbase = 
> 0x845400000
>          physical address = 0xd0000000, size = 16777216
> [    41.723] (II) VESA(0): Setting up VESA Mode 0x124 (1280x1024)
> [    41.723] (II) VESA(0): VBESetVBEMode failed, mode set without 
> customized refresh.
> [    42.005] (==) VESA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
> [    42.044] (==) VESA(0): Backing store enabled
> [    42.045] (==) VESA(0): DPMS enabled
> ... (initializing extensions)
> [    42.054] (II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI2 capable
> [    46.099] (II) IGLX: Loaded and initialized swrast
> [    46.099] (II) GLX: Initialized DRISWRAST GL provider for screen 0
> [    46.099] (II) Initializing extension XFree86-VidModeExtension
> [    46.099] (II) Initializing extension XFree86-DGA
> [    46.099] (II) Initializing extension XFree86-DRI
> [    46.099] (II) Initializing extension DRI2
> 
> Don't know if this helps or not.
> 
> Gary


From nobody Tue Oct  6 18:32:00 2026
X-Original-To: freebsd-questions@mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org
Received: from mx1.freebsd.org (mx1.freebsd.org [IPv6:2610:1c1:1:606c::19:1])
	by mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 4hzlGg45pyz6Z1Qm
	for <freebsd-questions@mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org>; Tue, 06 Oct 2026 18:32:11 +0000 (UTC)
	(envelope-from wojtek@puchar.net)
Received: from puchar.net (puchar.net [194.1.144.90])
	(using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (256/256 bits)
	 key-exchange x25519 server-signature RSA-PSS (4096 bits) server-digest SHA256)
	(Client did not present a certificate)
	by mx1.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 4hzlGf15Blz4C95;
	Tue, 06 Oct 2026 18:32:09 +0000 (UTC)
	(envelope-from wojtek@puchar.net)
Authentication-Results: mx1.freebsd.org;
	dkim=pass header.d=puchar.net header.s=default header.b=LAoqIQuh;
	spf=pass (mx1.freebsd.org: domain of wojtek@puchar.net designates 194.1.144.90 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=wojtek@puchar.net;
	dmarc=none
Received: Received: from 127.0.0.1 (localhost [127.0.0.1])
        by puchar.net (8.18.2/8.18.2) with ESMTPS id 696IW0xh077185
         (version=TLSv1.3 cipher=TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 bits=256 verify=NO);
        Tue, 6 Oct 2026 20:32:01 +0200 (CEST)
        (envelope-from wojtek@puchar.net)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=puchar.net;
	s=default; t=1791311521;
	bh=U7B20WHicdQBTCkLlzxtSbKMySfPvZ5UsbdWqeHbF4k=;
	h=Date:From:To:cc:Subject:In-Reply-To:References;
	b=LAoqIQuhgovrjcUse2qfXrWHnXEuCzp7gtOqcPNRP9KRjlZ2X3Ts/ZEtuXJxWu/fI
	 XBy43Ke1HHLWlOPsBOH84zJHeFhCMYUBf1o2UmUc/vGCwd6MaxVjmRNnRP8icDhjcq
	 pfUNe8Thglk0G3obCDGU3QFJw2J8IDHZ+SYiE0S4=
Received: from wojtek.intra (localhost [127.0.0.1])
	by wojtek.intra (8.18.1/8.18.1) with ESMTP id 696IW0DH016516;
	Tue, 6 Oct 2026 20:32:00 +0200 (CEST)
	(envelope-from wojtek@puchar.net)
Received: from localhost (wojtek@localhost)
	by wojtek.intra (8.18.1/8.18.1/Submit) with ESMTP id 696IW0i1016513;
	Tue, 6 Oct 2026 20:32:00 +0200 (CEST)
	(envelope-from wojtek@puchar.net)
X-Authentication-Warning: wojtek.intra: wojtek owned process doing -bs
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2026 20:32:00 +0200 (CEST)
From: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@puchar.net>
To: Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
cc: John Levine <johnl@iecc.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: what exactly that message mean?
In-Reply-To: <CAJ-VmokhPMx4YSfnHgJDuE6CbPAfKXzZ3Z2+r+6=et2oZe5Stg@mail.gmail.com>
Message-ID: <61e8037-e489-616-1553-7b525734cf3@puchar.net>
References: <d06f565d-2fa7-a4a9-d39-dede850c8e0@puchar.net> <119h6ed$fiu$2@gal.iecc.com> <CAJ-VmokhPMx4YSfnHgJDuE6CbPAfKXzZ3Z2+r+6=et2oZe5Stg@mail.gmail.com>
List-Id: User questions <freebsd-questions.freebsd.org>
List-Archive: https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-questions
List-Help: <mailto:questions+help@freebsd.org>
List-Post: <mailto:questions@freebsd.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:questions+subscribe@freebsd.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:questions+unsubscribe@freebsd.org>
X-BeenThere: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
List-Id: <freebsd-questions.FreeBSD.org>
List-Post: <mailto:freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
List-Help: <mailto:freebsd-questions+help@FreeBSD.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:freebsd-questions+subscribe@FreeBSD.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:freebsd-questions+unsubscribe@FreeBSD.org>
List-Owner: <mailto:postmaster@FreeBSD.org>
Precedence: list
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="3974694515-571434475-1791311520=:16512"
X-Spamd-Bar: +
X-Spamd-Result: default: False [1.50 / 15.00];
	SUBJECT_ENDS_QUESTION(1.00)[];
	CTYPE_MIXED_BOGUS(1.00)[];
	R_DKIM_ALLOW(-0.20)[puchar.net:s=default];
	R_SPF_ALLOW(-0.20)[+mx];
	MIME_GOOD(-0.10)[multipart/mixed,text/plain];
	ARC_NA(0.00)[];
	ASN(0.00)[asn:43476, ipnet:194.1.144.0/24, country:PL];
	MISSING_XM_UA(0.00)[];
	DMARC_NA(0.00)[puchar.net];
	TO_DN_SOME(0.00)[];
	MIME_TRACE(0.00)[0:+,1:+];
	RWL_MAILSPIKE_POSSIBLE(0.00)[194.1.144.90:from];
	HAS_XAW(0.00)[];
	MID_RHS_MATCH_FROM(0.00)[];
	RCVD_COUNT_TWO(0.00)[2];
	FROM_EQ_ENVFROM(0.00)[];
	FROM_HAS_DN(0.00)[];
	RCPT_COUNT_THREE(0.00)[3];
	TO_MATCH_ENVRCPT_SOME(0.00)[];
	RECEIVED_HELO_LOCALHOST(0.00)[];
	RCVD_TLS_LAST(0.00)[];
	MLMMJ_DEST(0.00)[freebsd-questions@freebsd.org];
	DKIM_TRACE(0.00)[puchar.net:+]
X-Rspamd-Queue-Id: 4hzlGf15Blz4C95

  This message is in MIME format.  The first part should be readable text,
  while the remaining parts are likely unreadable without MIME-aware tools.

--3974694515-571434475-1791311520=:16512
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8BIT

> I just looked at the code in sys/vm/swap_pager.c . 
> 
> It prints it after a 20 second sleep waiting for the read to complete.
> 
thank you. Seems like SSD stall.
--3974694515-571434475-1791311520=:16512--

From nobody Tue Oct  6 19:15:48 2026
X-Original-To: freebsd-questions@mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org
Received: from mx1.freebsd.org (mx1.freebsd.org [IPv6:2610:1c1:1:606c::19:1])
	by mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 4hzmFD268Sz6Z5B7
	for <freebsd-questions@mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org>; Tue, 06 Oct 2026 19:16:00 +0000 (UTC)
	(envelope-from freebsd@dreamchaser.org)
Received: from ns.dreamchaser.org (ns.dreamchaser.org [66.109.141.57])
	(using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (256/256 bits)
	 key-exchange x25519 server-signature RSA-PSS (4096 bits) server-digest SHA256
	 client-signature ECDSA (prime256v1) client-digest SHA256)
	(Client CN "discoveriesinwood.com", Issuer "YE1" (not verified))
	by mx1.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 4hzmFC39VBz4MNF
	for <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>; Tue, 06 Oct 2026 19:15:59 +0000 (UTC)
	(envelope-from freebsd@dreamchaser.org)
Authentication-Results: mx1.freebsd.org;
	dkim=none;
	spf=pass (mx1.freebsd.org: domain of freebsd@dreamchaser.org designates 66.109.141.57 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=freebsd@dreamchaser.org;
	dmarc=none
Received: from [192.168.151.122] (breakaway.dreamchaser.org [192.168.151.122])
	by ns.dreamchaser.org (8.18.1/8.18.1) with ESMTP id 696JFmsM082216;
	Tue, 6 Oct 2026 13:15:50 -0600 (MDT)
	(envelope-from freebsd@dreamchaser.org)
Message-ID: <199e0bda-fd0d-4d94-ba2d-ab2642e6febb@dreamchaser.org>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2026 13:15:48 -0600
List-Id: User questions <freebsd-questions.freebsd.org>
List-Archive: https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-questions
List-Help: <mailto:questions+help@freebsd.org>
List-Post: <mailto:questions@freebsd.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:questions+subscribe@freebsd.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:questions+unsubscribe@freebsd.org>
X-BeenThere: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
List-Id: <freebsd-questions.FreeBSD.org>
List-Post: <mailto:freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
List-Help: <mailto:freebsd-questions+help@FreeBSD.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:freebsd-questions+subscribe@FreeBSD.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:freebsd-questions+unsubscribe@FreeBSD.org>
List-Owner: <mailto:postmaster@FreeBSD.org>
Precedence: list
MIME-Version: 1.0
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird
Reply-To: freebsd@dreamchaser.org
Subject: Re: Where is your FreeBSD?
Content-Language: en-US
To: Milan Obuch <freebsd-questions@dino.sk>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
References: <40F0E96E-2996-41A0-8302-A9A11E7AA4E4@lbon.dev>
 <20261005234323.cb3bdb1e.freebsd@edvax.de>
 <96598c2a-e9bc-49e6-932e-5d0017141eff@dreamchaser.org>
 <20261006080732.57345078.38715446.79530750@dino.sk>
From: Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org>
In-Reply-To: <20261006080732.57345078.38715446.79530750@dino.sk>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Greylist: inspected by milter-greylist-4.6.4 (ns.dreamchaser.org [192.168.151.101]); Tue, 06 Oct 2026 13:15:50 -0600 (MDT) for IP:'192.168.151.122' DOMAIN:'breakaway.dreamchaser.org' HELO:'[192.168.151.122]' FROM:'freebsd@dreamchaser.org' RCPT:''
X-Greylist: Sender IP whitelisted, not delayed by milter-greylist-4.6.4 (ns.dreamchaser.org [192.168.151.101]); Tue, 06 Oct 2026 13:15:50 -0600 (MDT)
X-Spamd-Bar: /
X-Spamd-Result: default: False [0.90 / 15.00];
	SUBJECT_ENDS_QUESTION(1.00)[];
	R_SPF_ALLOW(-0.20)[+mx];
	ONCE_RECEIVED(0.20)[];
	MIME_GOOD(-0.10)[text/plain];
	FROM_HAS_DN(0.00)[];
	ARC_NA(0.00)[];
	RCVD_COUNT_ONE(0.00)[1];
	ASN(0.00)[asn:21947, ipnet:66.109.128.0/19, country:US];
	TO_DN_SOME(0.00)[];
	MIME_TRACE(0.00)[0:+];
	RCPT_COUNT_TWO(0.00)[2];
	MID_RHS_MATCH_FROM(0.00)[];
	R_DKIM_NA(0.00)[];
	REPLYTO_ADDR_EQ_FROM(0.00)[];
	FROM_EQ_ENVFROM(0.00)[];
	HAS_REPLYTO(0.00)[freebsd@dreamchaser.org];
	TO_MATCH_ENVRCPT_SOME(0.00)[];
	DMARC_NA(0.00)[dreamchaser.org];
	RCVD_TLS_LAST(0.00)[];
	MLMMJ_DEST(0.00)[freebsd-questions@freebsd.org];
	REPLYTO_DOM_NEQ_TO_DOM(0.00)[]
X-Rspamd-Queue-Id: 4hzmFC39VBz4MNF

On 10/6/26 00:07, Milan Obuch wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Oct 2026 17:22:54 -0600
> Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org> wrote:
>> I run fbsd on an ancient PC server, and as my daily workstation on 10
>> year old home assembled hardware. Daily work includes regular office
>> stuff, 3d print design, photo editing, remote admin of ubuntu
> 
> Out of pure curiosity, what are you using for 3D print design and photo
> editing? I have no experience with the former, doing some small
> adjustment with GIMP for the later.

I use FreeCAD for 3d design.
I use darktable for processing raw image files, then sometimes GIMP for things
I haven't figured out to do / which aren't possible in darktable.

>> servers, and the usual too much web surfing. My framework laptop runs
>> ubuntu, mostly because it's officially supported and the update
>> process has so far (4 yrs?) been pretty no-brainer. I only use the
>> laptop for things I don't have running on fbsd -- prusa slicer; and
> 
> There is cad/PrusaSlicer in ports, does it not work for you? Again, no
> experience in this area, just a note.

Last time I tried (probably a year ago) I couldn't get it to work; as noted
I think I need to upgrade to get it to work.

Gary

From nobody Tue Oct  6 19:33:24 2026
X-Original-To: questions@mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org
Received: from mx1.freebsd.org (mx1.freebsd.org [IPv6:2610:1c1:1:606c::19:1])
	by mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 4hzmdY1pLqz6Z6ML
	for <questions@mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org>; Tue, 06 Oct 2026 19:33:37 +0000 (UTC)
	(envelope-from mirror176@hotmail.com)
Received: from SN4PR0501CU005.outbound.protection.outlook.com (mail-southcentralusazolkn190110001.outbound.protection.outlook.com [IPv6:2a01:111:f403:d10c::1])
	(using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (256/256 bits)
	 key-exchange secp384r1 server-signature RSA-PSS (4096 bits) server-digest SHA256
	 client-signature RSA-PSS (2048 bits) client-digest SHA256)
	(Client CN "mail.protection.outlook.com", Issuer "DigiCert SHA2 Secure Server CA" (not verified))
	by mx1.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 4hzmdX39DRz4Qq6
	for <questions@freebsd.org>; Tue, 06 Oct 2026 19:33:36 +0000 (UTC)
	(envelope-from mirror176@hotmail.com)
Authentication-Results: mx1.freebsd.org;
	dkim=pass header.d=hotmail.com header.s=selector1 header.b=pgSjF53k;
	arc=pass ("microsoft.com:s=arcselector10001:i=1");
	spf=pass (mx1.freebsd.org: domain of mirror176@hotmail.com designates 2a01:111:f403:d10c::1 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=mirror176@hotmail.com;
	dmarc=pass (policy=none) header.from=hotmail.com
ARC-Seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector10001; d=microsoft.com; cv=none;
 b=u6yFveA5B+SKQTK1OmA+MWuq/p693eW+EqGbfBeq+LJ2lF2MCCJWV5qJVkKEPqyDrCei3d2+36/tTH1nfFXI+X+lDhlA+zFfw8djiEi/dml5Cl0bv84DmBpgMk6WamzboBEg3nu5GzGFbHxEVLwi6DAN5xrPXa12ZTnJCqyw9tFl2WVALc/R8NE+8Uw9zGfWsyNkgItNoCQHLboIBHECYCb8iVfjeKnMAJGZwiDxagtQXHVzC/u1LdIpxw0L0QqTcxQ1Lk/3Iqvg6QvYRudGIBuVL3TgwDvIJm0YcEIOem2U0vm618CcCAsUdWdUOXwkIod9C80vCsnDXcJ/HYxbvg==
ARC-Message-Signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com;
 s=arcselector10001;
 h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1;
 bh=xA5rmrGkS8FpxBY3NBdF6O1fB4/osQm74ztLFoF+fzY=;
 b=AW/pGK3OAQVfjeXytghmFzT/a3yYhX7RIEzJCTSU2qujzUKWsrlvlpqKWrsXWoYw//ZF5JyBQgtFuZgSdXKvJdl79xT8MlAPvHN1jPTSjZTrMP6R7ixnaHf1UWXt/2ex7iWkK/u/+nd8BgiCYyUM802GanqSPJC3W+3O8dvUc82fHEMLy8tndxRPe05/EJltRV9v64L/9I8RodqeXsGMP4jO9HbM2DYbnjCom1AzyMOUWGL0Jh4SLZPPltNaLKKEE1bg1qB/nuc87loIo2yOxM3KfS+2aRefAGc1IbXF0INKbd3iPaVoNi/pX254QFi8tbJEa5MEUxI540X+F4gnJA==
ARC-Authentication-Results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=none; dmarc=none;
 dkim=none; arc=none
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=hotmail.com;
 s=selector1;
 h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-SenderADCheck;
 bh=xA5rmrGkS8FpxBY3NBdF6O1fB4/osQm74ztLFoF+fzY=;
 b=pgSjF53khbla10FZ4+092Peyryu57Yew1jj55zef9rhk3f9A8ej1+WsrFCaZWI0CioC+X7LlCOyCWfTA279la636ETn1CF9KadrF17/7l6M2Z4d2MB1ETAkLiYuwH/1/DbBuFhoSbNMG89oVzLIfkcRcZgjsptPuczrDBMCgKu8eeFJPTzLCt5a+pvjqvkLIvNAGA3xbJ2KX98n/oBqJxNu9Zl3uhdNImQqfRJr1A9Ry5rO8M96eBkQASy8cSY7zlkDf1bV0dG5SbNfgfA+Ewh8rqP8Caa5OW46Q7XA1nVxBznno/Ih1LwkyuSUnywDEG6R2duBsRKLvbh4mZCcujQ==
Received: from SA1PR11MB8811.namprd11.prod.outlook.com (2603:10b6:806:467::18)
 by DS0PR11MB7832.namprd11.prod.outlook.com (2603:10b6:8:f5::15) with
 Microsoft SMTP Server (version=TLS1_2,
 cipher=TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384) id 15.21.472.15; Tue, 6 Oct
 2026 19:33:27 +0000
Received: from SA1PR11MB8811.namprd11.prod.outlook.com
 ([fe80::5fae:75f1:3548:9369]) by SA1PR11MB8811.namprd11.prod.outlook.com
 ([fe80::5fae:75f1:3548:9369%5]) with mapi id 15.21.0472.016; Tue, 6 Oct 2026
 19:33:27 +0000
Message-ID:
 <SA1PR11MB8811222574BF00122659AC51E6952@SA1PR11MB8811.namprd11.prod.outlook.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2026 12:33:24 -0700
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird
Subject: Re: Where is your FreeBSD?
To: questions@freebsd.org
References: <40F0E96E-2996-41A0-8302-A9A11E7AA4E4@lbon.dev>
Content-Language: en-US
From: "Edward Sanford Sutton, III" <mirror176@hotmail.com>
In-Reply-To: <40F0E96E-2996-41A0-8302-A9A11E7AA4E4@lbon.dev>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-ClientProxiedBy: BLAPR05CA0018.namprd05.prod.outlook.com
 (2603:10b6:208:36e::13) To SA1PR11MB8811.namprd11.prod.outlook.com
 (2603:10b6:806:467::18)
X-Microsoft-Original-Message-ID:
 <7f9df95e-532e-4762-9351-855c332dcfb6@hotmail.com>
List-Id: User questions <freebsd-questions.freebsd.org>
List-Archive: https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-questions
List-Help: <mailto:questions+help@freebsd.org>
List-Post: <mailto:questions@freebsd.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:questions+subscribe@freebsd.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:questions+unsubscribe@freebsd.org>
X-BeenThere: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
List-Id: <freebsd-questions.FreeBSD.org>
List-Post: <mailto:freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
List-Help: <mailto:freebsd-questions+help@FreeBSD.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:freebsd-questions+subscribe@FreeBSD.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:freebsd-questions+unsubscribe@FreeBSD.org>
List-Owner: <mailto:postmaster@FreeBSD.org>
Precedence: list
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-MS-Exchange-MessageSentRepresentingType: 1
X-MS-PublicTrafficType: Email
X-MS-TrafficTypeDiagnostic: SA1PR11MB8811:EE_|DS0PR11MB7832:EE_
X-MS-Office365-Filtering-Correlation-Id: af78926c-4a5a-4043-0459-08df23e0b1a0
X-Microsoft-Antispam:
	BCL:0;ARA:14566002|4140399003|25031999004|22091999003|24071999003|24021099003|12121999013|25010399006|19110799012|8060799015|10092599007|20031999006|5072599009|24121999003|39105399006|23021999003|15080799012|6090799003|2607281247196008|56899033|3412199025|440099028|25131999003|12091999003|40105399003;
X-Microsoft-Antispam-Message-Info:
	=?utf-8?B?MUMzOVBldDVvTW1KSW9JOGJGUHhtWFRtczV2b3RHYXpEQ2VWL2pOUXdHRVZv?=
 =?utf-8?B?SzFRVG5OUkxYVmg4RVpTRTNBWVZ0eTZIK0daU1hIckdVbDBSVWlWRTVad0ZL?=
 =?utf-8?B?WTNVcm9NZ3FJTFNRRHB4QkJuTGdZeEJHRGJhYVlNU3RCVkQ2b05oeFh5Nzdl?=
 =?utf-8?B?d3lwOW9BOEduWU1XYU5wNFR4R3ozaHhDYlJmcm5kSTNjWXdWYXhablovRzEv?=
 =?utf-8?B?aDBRQlJjTnlqbi85ZlpmekJ2QURKNDY4ZUY2YXM4U2tHRWtQM0F5T3JHOVNu?=
 =?utf-8?B?cklsUUxkaWFocDlLMmdYVEtqaWNXSkpoWk5BMXA4ekpNeDZnZG9nZkNHZWhH?=
 =?utf-8?B?YytqNjg1aHQvaG9kdzVPVVViMFNGY0VUL0ZzOEVxcW1jaExlejhwRDNRdHJt?=
 =?utf-8?B?blBuMnpPQnA4UVZlWk9rWXNKOGFLUTAwdDFxM2UwaDFSQVpTZjlpeDFCei90?=
 =?utf-8?B?M25oc2pteWhRK2pkRVhONzJlM2xpLzVsSEx0S2ZldEZEVG9MQ3BPdjlVekZr?=
 =?utf-8?B?d1Z1R2ZPY284WXNpWW82clJCTkRMdHhZNlFWWjQvM215bFc2Ukp0REhNR25u?=
 =?utf-8?B?dVc0NktzSVA1YjdhSGRTM1RvQ3RmMDlISStwenN2dTdWYkxNYVpmUkxRVGZQ?=
 =?utf-8?B?UElNbEpRcHNpTSt0TmRpZEdnWHNDeUhEN21hSmQxVXFYMWt2K3laeFNMdm9s?=
 =?utf-8?B?emRNdER1bS8vMkVLcktsbWdIR2ZWcWs5N2d0aG93d3hrMVVnVVRQM09EOEJj?=
 =?utf-8?B?dmlYMHJqYUJxNUF1QXJBdWt2bWhLcnVGeDFKbGhNQzFhVUpwU29wN2srRGpa?=
 =?utf-8?B?VGdCU3RkQ3lZUGF6ZW5BRlhRUnA4RnA5SEtrR3NJb05aVTg2NTJDYUJidVZl?=
 =?utf-8?B?T244OG01VGNxUUFkTnRLQTRhWUNBZHIrZUFPNkg3enRrQmZMb0xTRTZhdkpW?=
 =?utf-8?B?b0J6cTdRYklvODExd0hXazFiR25HUi9RQ1dhUzZkSUUyNUpqVDFUYlJibVEy?=
 =?utf-8?B?RHJhVjBQTStxRnJTc1podG16TTUvY3lGTFhNcTlpZnlHUUQ1cVRrVU9zYlMz?=
 =?utf-8?B?cFlJazBVOW16Q0dsNHFDUDl4ZU9ROUZac05UcTUxT1FVTE1yYkdvN0Z4UjR1?=
 =?utf-8?B?TUlIQWV4MW82QU9yT2x4UVlKeHFNbHZUQU9Ka05rZmdsa0tiTk03YWJTYmFJ?=
 =?utf-8?B?azM0YmloZHUrYTM2TG5xLytaOUtQUnFJQzRTUnZWYkRDZUsrMW9Nd1puRXpM?=
 =?utf-8?B?Vk4xQmNXeDFuWXF6WkNWcWNiUVRVbUZkd1NnYWJWSXIxMUJJQjlXU0FUWkIx?=
 =?utf-8?B?YUdPaGNXNEJidjJOTVpuTXdra1FWd3NVL1Zzaks0MHNRVmZFZGJBa2JabDZY?=
 =?utf-8?B?dG1yQ3VaNTNSUUpOeWdOdXF2VmpTTkJ1RGV0a245VStxWnVVOXJBSUZVUnd3?=
 =?utf-8?B?UkFEd2toejZDL1hycDNTdTByaFZHbFpYTEFwMDBhT21YMU1hM0JsTlE1RWY3?=
 =?utf-8?B?RlAwU3JUUUlacHBJcFZ5U2szNFE2V0U4V2w0Qnh0b0JIVDhFSUo4TWo5SGRO?=
 =?utf-8?B?U1ljWUNtZEg2ajh1K29aZWxqTXQzL2RNSUNzNStLd0JENFJ0NDFaenlsZ0xw?=
 =?utf-8?B?a0FPT04xanphVFlIRENDbWE2dURwVElESEJBSWtDVmQ5QlV2Q3pMRW9zUFhk?=
 =?utf-8?Q?aFR1PKrd+WTUbdOc+DSQ?=
X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount: 1
X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:
	=?utf-8?B?V05YVWxBNXZiMGtTUzFaaiswYjNQRHNEWU9HSXY5OFlvcTRUaDNURnYwTVd5?=
 =?utf-8?B?TWFzd2tFUHRXTnpIOEFxN0twOFRLc21yV1NSUzBlUldTZ1J5NS9uVHFUWkhn?=
 =?utf-8?B?VDYzR0lmUVZIbWJGVjN0TiszMWFwVjVXdmpOQXZpbEd6QmJJRGNXQXNUeE54?=
 =?utf-8?B?azRSMjYvYm1pU2gxZHhnTWtWaFlGMzU5a1JmbzMwRURlanJ6aFUvUDNLUkds?=
 =?utf-8?B?N2lFdDk1V09sdU5nSUtTV3V3eG1HSS85YXVuTTZwSjVqdVB3ajZsUitZOUgz?=
 =?utf-8?B?TFEvcE9xd1dCVXUvNDVvelRybUhsWTFUK1o0VU9OTmIrVTQxWFVkMkM1RDJI?=
 =?utf-8?B?Y3BDcFphSjZieWE1d0dhbTgrQ0RMUzdDcGpibWtpblQxMVAreU11NTNnYWph?=
 =?utf-8?B?TEhkWW5pek9ZSFFBUVlvNlRsRzVySytOMitxbmxyZm81YVo0M0VDYTlxRGxh?=
 =?utf-8?B?UlNlZWhrdnlqbGNadVU1bnBBaEdGSXN1ZzhBTXd1clI0eXkzZXlYYitJNXZY?=
 =?utf-8?B?UEZ6Q21rVFBDaXBtT1JTS2xOeXBBYUROaVdwSFlXLzJNeVk0emx1ak5sMnhS?=
 =?utf-8?B?WXEzQXNmZG5QTmpvb3RjbmR5azd1Zjl2OXRnZlF0aG13dVExY05TT0wxYWlK?=
 =?utf-8?B?QjhBRzFWS2R3cmdLY3NtOUtQeG9neHI1cmhObXlXQlV6ckxhWUxnS0p6aVkr?=
 =?utf-8?B?L1FHMDN0cXpmRGUyd2NmNTUxNzBqU0FNejl6VUhlZDMwam50NG55Tm5YQXUw?=
 =?utf-8?B?RE1iTzZVNXNjNUdBU2RUUndpYys1UXh0RXBsRGl5c08yY3BUZkxiZ3Z6RUFI?=
 =?utf-8?B?MkhiTXNERTNlVGU1NWdnSlZJczV4bitkNE1SbmRLOXRLMmxxV1RYcEdYK29R?=
 =?utf-8?B?TllqUVM2dmhJV1R3ZzFJYk9saDZQeVo5SFYvVlBZb2kzR1ZIc3VGQXVhNzBq?=
 =?utf-8?B?V0dHU0ZvekR0Znc3TlNuai95eE1DS0JZMXlZa28xNmQ3VFV2OGdaY2oyK21Y?=
 =?utf-8?B?QVZHZGtocTYreUVjMHNkVkZQazYrLy85eHpLaGc2NHRBQ3V0L0tHZkhUU3VK?=
 =?utf-8?B?MVAzNXVXZTVkN1ptVGFKRE9Xd3BpMjFaRHBVMElxcTl4ZHNncTF5VXdkUHdI?=
 =?utf-8?B?WjJLY2tkaDVXMjZjZG1xcHJUYS9NejNPdnZjaWlCWTVjcXR2UFJZRDR2b3Y3?=
 =?utf-8?B?bHlNbkVja1czcEtEUzJmNEhFQzJoSzJiaFpZMVBvNWRsakYwZ3diVnUyNFZ0?=
 =?utf-8?B?dXBRSklQOUJLQW5NeVVvZ00wQWZQa01waFoxODJ2MzlRNzVUVUpZSHlNUHRI?=
 =?utf-8?B?c3Mya0FTdVpOS3RBNWVpYS9MNUdwc2Njb3JFclRyQlZMMUNteHZJOC9zVnJu?=
 =?utf-8?B?RHhRY3RLKzlmei9NbmlGY1d6VDAxNDRUYThPV1lVeXhBVzh2T1BMMGpsK2xR?=
 =?utf-8?B?UU8zb3ZyTUpBWm83U0dsR1d2NWJlN25zbzRhS1lMMXp1YnJWZmxjSTY2RGRY?=
 =?utf-8?B?M1dEeTMxTWVuQVo4R09nSjZCWDQvajkxeHk2TjJWWTc1dUZrUCtQWURXdjdk?=
 =?utf-8?B?eFBkeUpEaFhpTkVVSGdxSVFKUjhDK3pNamlTWlhUNnR5UW1yN0pXTHpUK3NC?=
 =?utf-8?B?WStmMGpYRVhZWDR5R2IvYVV5UWhYeEF1WVVJaitkd0Q1b21FbTVmWVFvcnVN?=
 =?utf-8?B?YXhNR3ArUURtSlcyaVlEMndteXRDbDlJRGU0R203Tjh2eUtYSW1Mb2FNSFNk?=
 =?utf-8?B?UnB2cXAxYmQrMGVHNGVVY2d0bXRub1RJYnlwaHA4NHNTUlNtaTlYUVNDTW1S?=
 =?utf-8?B?VzZLKzF1WVFMbGN5K2VzQ0U3RWVaaHVFRVB2S3lUMkhxSWZqaGVWSU0rVXNl?=
 =?utf-8?Q?8ScPmXsDvx80m?=
X-OriginatorOrg: sct-15-20-9412-4-msonline-outlook-a6b68.templateTenant
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-Network-Message-Id: af78926c-4a5a-4043-0459-08df23e0b1a0
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-AuthSource: SA1PR11MB8811.namprd11.prod.outlook.com
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-AuthAs: Internal
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-OriginalArrivalTime: 06 Oct 2026 19:33:27.2836
 (UTC)
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-FromEntityHeader: Hosted
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-Id: 84df9e7f-e9f6-40af-b435-aaaaaaaaaaaa
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-RMS-PersistedConsumerOrg:
	00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
X-MS-Exchange-Transport-CrossTenantHeadersStamped: DS0PR11MB7832
X-Spamd-Bar: +
X-Spamd-Result: default: False [1.50 / 15.00];
	FORGED_MUA_THUNDERBIRD_MSGID_UNKNOWN(2.50)[];
	ARC_ALLOW(-1.00)[microsoft.com:s=arcselector10001:i=1];
	SUBJECT_ENDS_QUESTION(1.00)[];
	DMARC_POLICY_ALLOW(-0.50)[hotmail.com,none];
	R_DKIM_ALLOW(-0.20)[hotmail.com:s=selector1];
	R_SPF_ALLOW(-0.20)[+ip6:2a01:111:f403:d000::/53];
	MIME_GOOD(-0.10)[text/plain];
	ASN(0.00)[asn:8075, ipnet:2a01:111:f000::/36, country:US];
	FREEMAIL_ENVFROM(0.00)[hotmail.com];
	FREEMAIL_FROM(0.00)[hotmail.com];
	RCPT_COUNT_ONE(0.00)[1];
	RCVD_IN_DNSWL_NONE(0.00)[2a01:111:f403:d10c::1:from];
	MIME_TRACE(0.00)[0:+];
	DWL_DNSWL_NONE(0.00)[hotmail.com:dkim];
	MLMMJ_DEST(0.00)[questions@freebsd.org];
	TO_DN_NONE(0.00)[];
	RCVD_COUNT_TWO(0.00)[2];
	FROM_EQ_ENVFROM(0.00)[];
	TO_MATCH_ENVRCPT_ALL(0.00)[];
	FROM_HAS_DN(0.00)[];
	RCVD_TLS_LAST(0.00)[];
	DKIM_TRACE(0.00)[hotmail.com:+]
X-Rspamd-Queue-Id: 4hzmdX39DRz4Qq6

On 9/21/26 13:34, Luigi wrote:
> Hello everybody
> 
> 
> I got into the FreeBSD world only few months ago and subscribed to this mailing list then.
> 
> The asked questions all seem to relate to FreeBSD installs on personal laptops. I see issues about USB handling, Firefox, all the sort of thing you usually don’t care on a server.

   Sometimes people forget but Firefox doesn't support FreeBSD and the 
porting efforts that bring it here have their limits. There is a message 
presented to the user during install as a result which covers some 
common limitations. I don't care much about Widevine dependent pages and 
I don't have a webcam or mic on the computer at the moment so don't 
worry about issues related to them at the moment. Even on Windows, 
sometimes a Chromium browser is required.

> I personally own a server running FreeBSD with multiple jails and bhyve virtual machines. My whole homelab is there, my laptop isn’t.
> 
> I wonder, are there more FreeBSD "laptop users" or "server users” out there ?

   I know some use it on laptops but I assume that so many laptops have 
issues with wifi, graphics, and power management that I'd assume people 
usually go to a different operating system rather than try to work 
around any such limitations once observed. I setup a laptop with FreeBSD 
for an ex girlfriend many years ago when she didn't have her recovery 
discs yet and needed to get her computer working for school after a 
drive failure. With my help she was able to use it mostly okay and she 
replaced it with another computer later without having reinstalling 
Windows on it. I assume hibernation didn't work but never tried and 
getting its intel graphics working back then was a messy process. CD 
burning was an easier process (I assume I can call copy+paste of 
commands from the handbook as she did it just fine, if not there was 
k3b) and k3b made burning mixed audio CDs with consistent audio level 
easy at a price of $0 whereas software that came on it and some paid 
stuff I had access to then didn't offer that.
   I helped mom and dad get nice+powerful laptops a few years ago; they 
have killer (=intel now) wifi cards that I assume are still not 
supported and don't expect a change on those cards anytime soon.
   I had dad dual booting Windows and FreeBSD on desktop years ago and 
his plan was to leave Microsoft behind once he didn't need it for work. 
Now he is on Windows only but with the BS of Win10, and further changes 
on 11 he may want to look at alternatives again so I should find out how 
Diablo3 & 4 work under Wine on FreeBSD or Linux. I got him over to 
Thunderbird for email years ago when he got irritated that he wasn't 
allowed to have the same Microsoft email client on his XP desktop (later 
7) and Vista laptop; did the same for numerous family members. I assume 
no issue with dad doing email and browsing on FreeBSD if we were to 
reattempt it but I don't know if his GPU is a good or bad match with it 
though he does get to use the next generation of Nvidia drivers. With 
the amount of hard drive space he has I doubt he would want to try 
dualbooting because he has to choose what to 'give up' for old collected 
videos and such.

> Just curious about your thoughts on the matter.

   Not perfect but overall mostly acceptable for my desktop experience. 
What is disliked has not been a big enough deal to drive me away to look 
into alternatives again. Many other people could tolerate it if they had 
someone to help them get through it or 'maybe' if they had no other 
choices. Once hardware support or required program support is lacking 
its a quick reason to pick another choice.

   A friend I respected on their use and way on computers was using it 
but wouldn't explain anything about why. He handed me a copy of 4.11 or 
so on disc and I ended up looking into it myself in 2004 and changed my 
Slackware system to also have that on a drive starting with somewhere in 
5 (5.2.1 sounds familiar but not sure it was my 'first'). Its been on my 
desktop ever since. "I" have made a few mistakes that lead to me having 
to restore from backup as the only practical solution but otherwise I 
haven't had to reinstall since then. Most of the time I've been on 
-stable branches.

   As for being able to do everything I'd want, that's a "nope".  Some 
bugs have had me nearly switch up my configuration, if not move to a new 
OS: 15.1 has a bug where idle processes become higher priority than 
normal processes (D57829 is supposed to restore the old behavior but was 
not backported to 15.1 after the MFC timeframe), Several 13.x releases 
had ZFS ARC bugs that made my system nearly unusable at times, I think 7 
or so had some rough transition which was maybe related to audio but I 
forget now. Audio makes a loud 'pop' during boot which I thought I had 
set something to turn down audio on shutdown/startup and only turn it up 
again later to fix it but forget if I got that working or not at some 
point though its definitely not now; I reboot so infrequently that I 
don't think much of it and I have headphones plugged into speakers that 
get all the audio directed to them and I don't normally wear them during 
boot/reboot.
   I've had issues with some things not working over the years. I 
remember family thinking it wasn't usable to have a system that couldn't 
play youtube videos on the website back when youtube was far less 
popular and required flash; I could have fixed it but having all flash 
banner ads broken by default was a more desirable ]experience than a 
working youtube and playing video in browsers was a horrible experience 
(still is but its MUCH better). I think I used browser addons at the 
time to download videos for offline viewing through a non-crappy media 
player when I wanted it to work.
   When I moved over to FreeBSD I was doing music stuff in college for 
at least another year. I never got my electronic piano working through 
MIDI at the time but then moved and didn't have an easy way to get it by 
my computer in the next place; haven't reattempted it but I've heard 
only a few years back that MIDI did eventually work its way into 
FreeBSD. Similarly I lost access to rosegarden which was a very outdated 
port but didn't care much without the MIDI hookup to my piano. I think 
that software has since been updated.
   I lost access to cinelerra which became an off-again/on-again effort 
periodically to port it. I had it working good enough I did use it to 
help friends make some videos. Yuri eventually created a port that 
reached the ports tree for the gg fork while mine was the cv fork I had 
worked on; his was purged as part of the python2 purging effort though 
an update was available to make it use python3 at the time. I haven't 
reattempted it since but need to review my work vs that work to find out 
if any of my patches would apply as I had fixed bugs in the program and 
not just made porting-necessary changes.
   Similarly I've struggled to port a few other things: replicatorg 
(working though port could use work) and a reprap program (think it was 
working but didn't have good support for mine) for my 3D printer, 
mindustry (haven't reached a state where it builds), 
starruler2/openstarruler (builds but doesn't launch properly), 
simutrans-extended (works but needed an update and port needs 
refinement), auteria (it used to have a Linux, and after my asking a 
FreeBSD client, our community mostly fell apart as we went on to other 
things and its windows only now), I tried to get xcas ported but a while 
ago without much success, and tried to get some old pocket pc software 
going with mixed results long ago. I've put some effort into fixing up a 
few ports I thought could be done better but often I don't go far enough 
to reach a state where I think my work is publicly ready.
   Git should help organize any such effort but I feel like my lack of 
knowledge of how to properly use it causes too many unnecessary 
slowdowns/issues and I don't trust that I'd not make a mistake so at 
times I have to make a copy of the work as a backup which its supposed 
to eliminate the need for a backup under that reason. My computer is so 
old and slow now that it makes building ports of my own and the main 
tree a rather miserable step. I've still helped fix a number of bugs 
with ports over the years through bugzilla PRs and private emails to 
maintainers but have a few more I need to get out.

   As a gamer, Windows has been the go-to choice though I used to use a 
different machine back when I did regular gaming. Some games in Wine had 
performance issues and graphics bugs but its been a few years since I 
tried and I heard things are a lot better both with Wine on FreeBSD and 
Wine in general so I expect I need to try again someday. There were some 
things that Wine could run under Linux but not FreeBSD but I heard some 
of the bigger barriers there are no longer still present. I wouldn't be 
surprised to see things be at the point of minor difficulty for me to 
get starcraft 1 (used to be too slow) &2 (had graphics issues that are 
likely resolved and think it was performance that made me skip it), 
warcraft3 (have it but didn't try in Wine), diablo2 (have it but didn't 
try in wine) &3 (had graphics issues making a gentle breeze become a 
hurricane), or overwatch (didn't try in wine) working. I'd guess that 
fez, celeste, noita, hollowknight, and rainworld are worth a try too.
   I still have a copy of WordPerfect 6.1 (Wine failed to run it) I 
acquired from family and kept it because Microsoft Word's grammar 
checker was worse+buggy and openoffice/libreoffice don't have a grammar 
checker (they added an API but only thing I remember that used it was 
languagetool and that project specifically did not want to become a 
grammar checker last I looked into it before they started replacing 
local engine with cloud based AI engine) and I didn't get abiword's 
grammar checker working for more than highlight what it thought didn't 
match structure it saw before but couldn't explain why or recommend a 
fix. WordPerfect is reason enough to keep an old copy of Windows thrown 
into a virtual machine or PC emulator but I otherwise would prefer 
LibreOffice over other office suites (used StarOffice/OpenOffice even 
when I had a copy of Microsoft Office available) but if I did any 
serious documentation work I'd rather use tex or other comparable 
tooling instead of a WYSIWYG editor.
   I've done stuff to rip DVDs to my computer with good results on 
FreeBSD but my bluray efforts used Windows with a few different 
programs. I haven't tried makemkv from the ports tree but if/when I have 
a bluray drive in this computer again (bound to happen) I may give it a 
spin to see if I can use it here. On Windows I appreciated anydvd's 
non-copying features too which at this point I think the next closest 
step for enjoyment will require ripping the discs whereas I could use it 
to modify playback without ripping to be enjoyable. I have no interest 
in the 'product as a service' model of modern media streaming services 
and as a mostly Firefox user I haven't even taken the time to get 
Widevine setup so even YouTube's "watch with ads" videos are unplayable 
here; I'm okay with that but I know some would not be.

   In 2002 I got a computer with XP which I was going to dual boot Linux 
on and after owning it a few months XP required reinstalling from 
recovery discs 'again' so I put Linux on single boot figuring I'd just 
remove it or dual boot if it didn't work out but it did for 'most' 
things. 2004 I tried FreeBSD as dualboot which fixed a number of issues 
I had with Linux performance and the ports tree saved me a lot of work 
where under Linux I was already crudely writing scripts to 
download+build+install a few different programs + alsa drivers. I 
accidentally had a bad dd command overwrite part of the Linux install 
and I just shrugged my shoulders as I was mostly content with my FreeBSD 
experience without dual booting it. On rare occasions I did use Windows 
on a drive for a short temporary moment for tasks like running some 
proprietary firmware update to a controller card or some such but went 
right back once done.

> ~ Luigi


From nobody Tue Oct  6 19:33:40 2026
X-Original-To: questions@mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org
Received: from mx1.freebsd.org (mx1.freebsd.org [IPv6:2610:1c1:1:606c::19:1])
	by mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 4hzmh62qjlz6Z6r2
	for <questions@mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org>; Tue, 06 Oct 2026 19:35:50 +0000 (UTC)
	(envelope-from mirror176@hotmail.com)
Received: from BYAPR05CU005.outbound.protection.outlook.com (mail-westusazolkn19010020.outbound.protection.outlook.com [52.103.2.20])
	(using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (256/256 bits)
	 key-exchange secp384r1 server-signature RSA-PSS (4096 bits) server-digest SHA256
	 client-signature RSA-PSS (2048 bits) client-digest SHA256)
	(Client CN "mail.protection.outlook.com", Issuer "DigiCert SHA2 Secure Server CA" (not verified))
	by mx1.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 4hzmh54ZHkz4S7j
	for <questions@freebsd.org>; Tue, 06 Oct 2026 19:35:49 +0000 (UTC)
	(envelope-from mirror176@hotmail.com)
Authentication-Results: mx1.freebsd.org;
	dkim=pass header.d=hotmail.com header.s=selector1 header.b="IctUzr/q";
	arc=pass ("microsoft.com:s=arcselector10001:i=1");
	spf=pass (mx1.freebsd.org: domain of mirror176@hotmail.com designates 52.103.2.20 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=mirror176@hotmail.com;
	dmarc=pass (policy=none) header.from=hotmail.com
ARC-Seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector10001; d=microsoft.com; cv=none;
 b=wSLtK0Q/FGJODqaFWJ4mSYR/cyqMUirqsFVajnZ9vn32QfNPtGtLhQDkISkedwSODbhGXQ7+JeqrkhjSu6Ao5Lxa1RQGaxJFxGBwu8qNRAqnDVJKDizlvD2nW83KR0l0h8pCrpm9DCHIFKcHoyJROeGK9y4Cfk1sPT6WN9uYlGooN/XWAjxLojNRcvp+qWjL2vHSLWCQKtSSWTfTU2HE6uadbiZPbuD3Borzxjdq2/pDmIwQ/zPpRvrfBs1Pg4VhTPgjfFNCwvGWfMAYN1926oVZ+sy2yP150t087GRJ1FEuuMgqHuzjE0EgyfRKDqox9CMAEzt0JYCn7dELwxasuA==
ARC-Message-Signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com;
 s=arcselector10001;
 h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1;
 bh=ZkunecdaUXFkDWyigjdAzkmwXMmnlA6m5bBhYbcQ124=;
 b=je2vVzeK5QwJogTRHvl4L8SUMSawIEV0wlq2yXWdshCabjXirp/6LlpPAsoSMVh9h3Dk1TT9lO8Bb4dExgH/qnKnVZofP70w6lCjlSZr+Fa3KCFcq6baZdM2eHqBfRsMaxBhJQMyQq4QcNCwQJYsoPsxhocXtck7f+4BzIyp2s44/xzB4WRvMJpcb4UkGFQqHbBgtBmJSfuuiXMWXD1q4y0q6dpZxajIJiJ4gMHSsAxB3qMuV1wwj1VRWVRmrGcskmXjnmouCRiCZhgRq+BxZi1j8Ky5Jizwep+yI6d/Gtb+4sdLE0CPsGePkHJcwXsuqOkFIkQ4UNEAx0CmO4PiLw==
ARC-Authentication-Results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=none; dmarc=none;
 dkim=none; arc=none
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=hotmail.com;
 s=selector1;
 h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-SenderADCheck;
 bh=ZkunecdaUXFkDWyigjdAzkmwXMmnlA6m5bBhYbcQ124=;
 b=IctUzr/qFST1pYKc0VuBhZZrJAbj50i7nQNravd30tPi2pa54NNQhO6aExk7x+QwqBDrskK654F313hbYfilqVyJ2QfLMNldWs1Pp13CDHzoEqTLxVjhG0TxVY+SkI0Lj1muGyAYz0QFNvckHikS4CmXIP7AEChPr2UeK1qJzO8HA4VUMyvFjwlIWpikbrymESHxvk3JYZBnJ3IvRf3zxoZ6cwc9fdyowG1skMsKfHR48bceeB6CmUj0ZDgf7Wfgm0oThSRUp95ydJj4aXlUwxexXoQCK3ih4v7xsDncszmJ/jKSNaUnQMyRJ+WIXrbUjBtTo5kt2EuJZgkTSyYYqw==
Received: from SA1PR11MB8811.namprd11.prod.outlook.com (2603:10b6:806:467::18)
 by EAYPR11MB9563.namprd11.prod.outlook.com (2603:10b6:303:2c0::14) with
 Microsoft SMTP Server (version=TLS1_2,
 cipher=TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384) id 15.21.496.15; Tue, 6 Oct
 2026 19:33:46 +0000
Received: from SA1PR11MB8811.namprd11.prod.outlook.com
 ([fe80::5fae:75f1:3548:9369]) by SA1PR11MB8811.namprd11.prod.outlook.com
 ([fe80::5fae:75f1:3548:9369%5]) with mapi id 15.21.0472.016; Tue, 6 Oct 2026
 19:33:43 +0000
Message-ID:
 <SA1PR11MB8811B1DC74F058E6AC0894A3E6952@SA1PR11MB8811.namprd11.prod.outlook.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2026 12:33:40 -0700
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird
Subject: Re: Where is your FreeBSD?
To: questions@freebsd.org
References: <40F0E96E-2996-41A0-8302-A9A11E7AA4E4@lbon.dev>
 <20261005234323.cb3bdb1e.freebsd@edvax.de>
 <96598c2a-e9bc-49e6-932e-5d0017141eff@dreamchaser.org>
 <20261006080732.57345078.38715446.79530750@dino.sk>
Content-Language: en-US
From: "Edward Sanford Sutton, III" <mirror176@hotmail.com>
In-Reply-To: <20261006080732.57345078.38715446.79530750@dino.sk>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-ClientProxiedBy: BLAPR05CA0004.namprd05.prod.outlook.com
 (2603:10b6:208:36e::8) To SA1PR11MB8811.namprd11.prod.outlook.com
 (2603:10b6:806:467::18)
X-Microsoft-Original-Message-ID:
 <97e9067e-dccc-4db7-884b-7886db035391@hotmail.com>
List-Id: User questions <freebsd-questions.freebsd.org>
List-Archive: https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-questions
List-Help: <mailto:questions+help@freebsd.org>
List-Post: <mailto:questions@freebsd.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:questions+subscribe@freebsd.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:questions+unsubscribe@freebsd.org>
X-BeenThere: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
List-Id: <freebsd-questions.FreeBSD.org>
List-Post: <mailto:freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
List-Help: <mailto:freebsd-questions+help@FreeBSD.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:freebsd-questions+subscribe@FreeBSD.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:freebsd-questions+unsubscribe@FreeBSD.org>
List-Owner: <mailto:postmaster@FreeBSD.org>
Precedence: list
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-MS-Exchange-MessageSentRepresentingType: 1
X-MS-PublicTrafficType: Email
X-MS-TrafficTypeDiagnostic: SA1PR11MB8811:EE_|EAYPR11MB9563:EE_
X-MS-Office365-Filtering-Correlation-Id: b6c1452c-38c0-4f43-c6e0-08df23e0bb21
X-Microsoft-Antispam:
	BCL:0;ARA:14566002|25010399006|19110799012|39105399006|25031999004|24121999003|22091999003|24021099003|8060799015|20031999006|24071999003|6090799003|4140399003|5072599009|15080799012|23021999003|40105399003|25131999003|2607281247196008|440099028|3412199025;
X-Microsoft-Antispam-Message-Info:
	=?utf-8?B?UUhuMlRTZXpKM2pkTWxSYUpleHIzaWFEa0d6TnZBK2V0VXYrbTcxZXBmc3pT?=
 =?utf-8?B?clZKb0trOTc1WGlRcUJnbEF1bWo1ZmwrWEF6RStHZmdyZVhOQ3E4QXZ6N2Y5?=
 =?utf-8?B?WWJGSWJIMHJLcWFvWGR6S2t5cGtyYndSM0RYOXZRbDRJSjFQTDlTRUNFSHBL?=
 =?utf-8?B?ZWVrOEJsaXhiRTJJUXBlNzRnUEl1R29hQ25mM3BuTGthNXJIVTQxR1k3c3Rj?=
 =?utf-8?B?YXE1d0ttZSsvVTdDMDRLcjZzRFJ5M3BvbXF4a3pNWGJSYWxDSGR5cHZXZStz?=
 =?utf-8?B?R05WUU56VHpSd3RuZ05xU21qWldxZjV3ajdYejh3UTZaOW5TMERucHUwYS9Q?=
 =?utf-8?B?V3pCTmUyRGxuWGh1N2doSEpGamZJYW5NMzgvcVBReVlVVHB3SUFpWjFMVEJX?=
 =?utf-8?B?djIzK2prOS9MbkI2N0dSNk9nUU9xbUsrb1NlK1hqcXNrVEluRDZPenRYUUZq?=
 =?utf-8?B?QTZQRzlUc09tZnQrRlJraXlEZmJIZHRoR2NnVURZUFFvSTdGTkE0dDNIYTNa?=
 =?utf-8?B?THpsT3hWZFRtSDRtdUxEWG9PQnZsQXIxSFVJakI0VThnMUVWSmhibnNyVXZ6?=
 =?utf-8?B?VURoc3RuOGI3RFQvVW8zT2VKakZWeDJPbUQrSzI0N2JpaWM3Z05HWXhHYU90?=
 =?utf-8?B?QlQwQ3NydUJxdURETi82MVZXNjc0eVBNbUREWG5qTTluZzZFQk1FRW1LSHcw?=
 =?utf-8?B?WUtoendPSGkxNXZXWDVhYlhuVlJ5WUhCc2h4cHgxVDRrNVhvRW5nT0JBYXoz?=
 =?utf-8?B?UFl0TXJ0NFpmbzFnTnNxV3pwdGdvUE92V0hOSkhIMGpWZU52VFZIZ3JreVB3?=
 =?utf-8?B?eHljbmk3Z2FXTVZGaVJtVlQxL0c5SXZVd0E3djhxM2xxQmpuYWswM3JacVlW?=
 =?utf-8?B?WllURGVLYmpETzBvSWhrTjlMbWN6K2EyaVovNU1tVzR2RnhEa2JPM2QxVHlB?=
 =?utf-8?B?M1NyRVJjSTNENmRyb3o4Q091UktQYXdPNFpRRlFDd3RaL1hHZlh0cnNFTGNY?=
 =?utf-8?B?eHM5Q2g1RFQraHdKY2ZrNG9HUlhnR2F3aHE2NnpyOGpxYXp1bXF1Yzg5eEhY?=
 =?utf-8?B?czR3VHZUUnNheHU3MHlWNEJyZFZwV3BseXV5TU5zUllPTzIvQit1MUZyWENX?=
 =?utf-8?B?clZEcnBGWlk0T0c3OFFJdUtuNE5DMGk5Tk1kRUxnK3JodDFJSnllYmZOcWRQ?=
 =?utf-8?B?VTBoVXRGeGFhK0N2QW80aHh1N3FEV204UC9CUDJOQkNtTC81ck9EV2J4dXlG?=
 =?utf-8?B?R3NqRHNVOUVqdTFHRlhNZ0Qzcm5zUE9CRThra2dtWVFlSEFOdHlUY0VnTnNu?=
 =?utf-8?B?NlBaUmtPNE5XZ1llcVpzYlJkenlhbWhWL3Q4T2dXYUUzZWs2bTRVbm51Z05R?=
 =?utf-8?B?SnlheHBvMStXcS9oOE1VT2hqdUk1dmhSSEJubmJjM1ExMEtXS04zRlRVZGg2?=
 =?utf-8?B?T2RCTDlOa2hwTHBMNEIybG9ubEw0b3d2YWUwV2xvRXh1VUJQWFZna0lIb1Zz?=
 =?utf-8?B?b0JralVwQjdxOENhanhPTFlJUHRKNlpHU1Q1ejNjdFRnOWRzbUFVWHZMOHVj?=
 =?utf-8?Q?MCPIbLPCf+kjbeFMVBOluxpRw=3D?=
X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount: 1
X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:
	=?utf-8?B?LzA1VWRRcGRLbVoyU3UyYXhoaG02OHdpSWd6VG9heEdiTkZLZjhDZkNLRExZ?=
 =?utf-8?B?U3RiMUQ2ZGhMRGhkT2hPMmRTcmVhWDdJc2Fvd2tRcHppenl0MFNYMXdtOWRx?=
 =?utf-8?B?cG0vWEVQM0VDTUFKRlVoN1RqOW90b2d1eTZ2NkpFaGtXbWZoMUNYMzk5bGxD?=
 =?utf-8?B?SmROSGVrMU8zYXhOU2c3OEU2VVRjWjk5OFJQZlZKUkdsM282VDM0bHV6Rm9o?=
 =?utf-8?B?SnF6bm51dmNERUZ3L1YrbnM4b25GV2M1aXdkQzJTUTZmQzk3TGhHc0k3V0RZ?=
 =?utf-8?B?MncxUDArREwyV1ZtSGswaDVNNUpUU3ZYbWQ5VmxXYWlaQkErZFlMWGlvZzhP?=
 =?utf-8?B?aG5KNGgyUjF0UnVGdDBOR3pDdHM5eXYyM3lVaEdGbDF0TVVMemd4dmZjYXBs?=
 =?utf-8?B?bDFQVW8yVHdqZ3ZuUGFPYzBsdjJSNDhEMG84RDlkalhKQU5TY2xXQ2xqYjd6?=
 =?utf-8?B?U1VuVlpyZy9scml1NVlDM1F5Tk9kYTNKTUIzbGJlekF2SG8xdmxxMEpMUzFh?=
 =?utf-8?B?ak9iVzVmVVNLanJjOElpOHJzKzdZZzNseWhKSFMrOUpqckNDUXFWZTZvVWpa?=
 =?utf-8?B?LzBuR0huWFpINlBhdFlaNHo1SGY0RU1sdk9MbjZlYWloZlNCbWJHUytBekxp?=
 =?utf-8?B?VE04OFB4MFJCSVgvMkNVMWhBQ000TDRtdUJxN09uaVBpNitFaU83MXNCa3lM?=
 =?utf-8?B?d3BVc294V0pUeVFFem1rRWd2bWtZTmhuSGluK2hnNXZxSjB3WmtIN016NXRX?=
 =?utf-8?B?bXN1ZGozZmd1UmErMDA3TXJwK0luQkpEaVQ3TE1MdmdVSmcwTjNncFVmR21D?=
 =?utf-8?B?SXRhWUxJWFRNeXo3UXMzUG5MeXN3dVowOWpUUjUzUzhudnZLTmFPN3UxblRj?=
 =?utf-8?B?alNSc1kvRDhLNGJLNnRhcEcxQ0dzSm5oRmc5YVFSSXhRY0ZaRWlxZzZzbFJ4?=
 =?utf-8?B?OE9HZ3F2U2FrQlRlZlBFNmtJRHh2NnR5TUt1dCtoVHFhajhWVlFINlZVTWJv?=
 =?utf-8?B?Q20zdG9Zenlibi9Zck1WUEhYUTR4dzhUbCttTytCRERRdmhwSEZKR1NJMkc3?=
 =?utf-8?B?Sml0Y2YxSXhWL3lxV1dvandMTkN4dk5aUEErNnc4bUlUajFRSHFmUnlZVm01?=
 =?utf-8?B?NEdBVjBMTjRHNGVocnBDbnl3ekxWYWtGdmRmbG5KamVNeXoxUlZBTWYvZTV4?=
 =?utf-8?B?WklvNzhHeE1ONzh2YVl0dFRxN014d0xqU0xNM3FKMjkxVGtBMjREb1FndXJH?=
 =?utf-8?B?VFh5VE1YS3RySENBREo0MVN1bjFiaFEyeDdQY0puUmNBUlZ1NWZOcVhLZ0Fh?=
 =?utf-8?B?RnFzeFRwTmNWOXpGc0U0VWNESWZFSVBjN1duV1FMS0ovaTlUNWZHQ3ZNMFdV?=
 =?utf-8?B?S21rWVVDNm9iZHZheGNNaUhHNjBwT21EclE2cUtJdHRSaW5vYjB1TWVJOW84?=
 =?utf-8?B?TStOZ0tBVkNuazFRMHpxd3h0ME9DRjdNcGFhU1E0MDJxcTFHaEQwTE5vL0Zw?=
 =?utf-8?B?T1VYbndZcFNGQTlZcWhtdVhPSTZBeVFSU2xnVm5HYkh1YWk3am81ZGNlM0pK?=
 =?utf-8?B?dmtPT3pRUkNnR1NuV0h0T1doajZBbUt5Y2dWSCtyc0x4dzdlYzVvNmRQTkFt?=
 =?utf-8?B?SjEzMll5QVJLc052cFJHM0psZVVuRWl3VEE5Q0cyUXpYUWk0VnMrbG5zcGdt?=
 =?utf-8?B?SGQ3KytMOVc3bTBTTnh3QlRDZTN1SStpNkR5akhQeG9WRCtQL1RQZTVpdUdP?=
 =?utf-8?B?UDZVVDhWRnRWckdQeUppNTlKY1Fyd3hoblZuZG41UStGWm5oRGxOeEkwa21p?=
 =?utf-8?B?NTZlemFuSU51Qm14QnFxY1RGQzRTc01DNm9JQUZKTFNmUnBxQXViem1QaUFG?=
 =?utf-8?Q?4NmM83zPpe/PY?=
X-OriginatorOrg: sct-15-20-9412-4-msonline-outlook-a6b68.templateTenant
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-Network-Message-Id: b6c1452c-38c0-4f43-c6e0-08df23e0bb21
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-AuthSource: SA1PR11MB8811.namprd11.prod.outlook.com
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-AuthAs: Internal
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-OriginalArrivalTime: 06 Oct 2026 19:33:43.1599
 (UTC)
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-FromEntityHeader: Hosted
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-Id: 84df9e7f-e9f6-40af-b435-aaaaaaaaaaaa
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-RMS-PersistedConsumerOrg:
	00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
X-MS-Exchange-Transport-CrossTenantHeadersStamped: EAYPR11MB9563
X-Spamd-Bar: +
X-Spamd-Result: default: False [1.50 / 15.00];
	FORGED_MUA_THUNDERBIRD_MSGID_UNKNOWN(2.50)[];
	ARC_ALLOW(-1.00)[microsoft.com:s=arcselector10001:i=1];
	SUBJECT_ENDS_QUESTION(1.00)[];
	DMARC_POLICY_ALLOW(-0.50)[hotmail.com,none];
	R_DKIM_ALLOW(-0.20)[hotmail.com:s=selector1];
	R_SPF_ALLOW(-0.20)[+ip4:52.103.0.0/17:c];
	MIME_GOOD(-0.10)[text/plain];
	RCPT_COUNT_ONE(0.00)[1];
	MIME_TRACE(0.00)[0:+];
	DWL_DNSWL_NONE(0.00)[hotmail.com:dkim];
	ASN(0.00)[asn:8075, ipnet:52.96.0.0/12, country:US];
	FREEMAIL_ENVFROM(0.00)[hotmail.com];
	FREEMAIL_FROM(0.00)[hotmail.com];
	RWL_MAILSPIKE_POSSIBLE(0.00)[52.103.2.20:from];
	MLMMJ_DEST(0.00)[questions@freebsd.org];
	TO_MATCH_ENVRCPT_ALL(0.00)[];
	FROM_EQ_ENVFROM(0.00)[];
	FROM_HAS_DN(0.00)[];
	RCVD_TLS_LAST(0.00)[];
	RCVD_IN_DNSWL_NONE(0.00)[52.103.2.20:from];
	TO_DN_NONE(0.00)[];
	RCVD_COUNT_TWO(0.00)[2];
	DKIM_TRACE(0.00)[hotmail.com:+]
X-Rspamd-Queue-Id: 4hzmh54ZHkz4S7j

On 10/5/26 23:07, Milan Obuch wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Oct 2026 17:22:54 -0600
> Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org> wrote:
> 
>> On Mon, 21 Sep 2026 22:34:36 +0200, Luigi wrote:
>>> I wonder, are there more FreeBSD "laptop users" or "server users”
>>> out there ?
>>>
>>> Just curious about your thoughts on the matter.
>>
>> I run fbsd on an ancient PC server, and as my daily workstation on 10
>> year old home assembled hardware. Daily work includes regular office
>> stuff, 3d print design, photo editing, remote admin of ubuntu
> 
> Out of pure curiosity, what are you using for 3D print design and photo
> editing? I have no experience with the former, doing some small
> adjustment with GIMP for the later.

   What little 3d print design I had done was also done on openscad. I 
had worked on porting it either before it existed or when it was buggy 
at some point when it was much earlier along. FreeCAD and others likely 
work and even blender can be used for CAD though that's not really a 
workflow its built for but I remember an extensive tutorial for modeling 
a bearing or something with precision in blender being around.

>> servers, and the usual too much web surfing. My framework laptop runs
>> ubuntu, mostly because it's officially supported and the update
>> process has so far (4 yrs?) been pretty no-brainer. I only use the
>> laptop for things I don't have running on fbsd -- prusa slicer; and
> 
> There is cad/PrusaSlicer in ports, does it not work for you? Again, no
> experience in this area, just a note.

   PrusaSlicer doesn't work with some older GPUs. My Nvidia GTX570 only 
got graphics driver support up to 390 which was buggy with some more 
modern graphics stuff; think it seemed related to nvidia releasing it 
with a partially written egl implementation last I looked into it and 
the opensource graphics devs didn't want to fix it at the graphics 
libraries so each program has to individually become aware of and fix it 
on its own. I think PrusaSlicer had moved onto a newer opengl that my 
GPU doesn't support.

   My printer being a MakerBot Thing-O-Matic used the older ReplicatorG 
software. I had worked on porting it and though I had something I could 
use I didn't feel like the port was in a state that was 
ports-tree-worthy. Over time the project died but a fork had worked on 
improving the software and printer firmware under the sailfish fork. I 
think 0040r34 was the last version I got of that before my printer got 
disconnected and put in storage for 'reasons' and I never got it back 
and up properly since. That program used skeinforge as its slicer which 
was written in python2 and was horrifically slow without using pypy to 
run it (about a 7x increase or so). With the efforts to purge all 
python2 ports and removal even of pypy from the tree since it too used 
python2 I figured me committing such a port would have been the opposite 
of appreciated; the python code is not required to use ReplicatorG other 
than for slicing so it may still serve a purpose but its only to support 
old printers. I'd have to see if 'any' old links still work, archives of 
them work, or if I have to host it all myself up on github or something 
as I think the internet tried to let most all of that software chain die 
off.
   There is software that is supposed to convert other slicer output to 
the binary/compressed format my printer needs it in but I had yet to get 
a working setup in PrusaSlicer with the conversion step to properly 
output to control my printer. Without being able to launch PrusaSlicer 
on my computer anymore that got put aside for now.

>> occasionally websites I really need that don't work on my fbsd
>> firefox with noscript.
> 
> For the original question: I started with FreeBSD long ago on the
> servers for internet access (simple routers with NAT, proxy, DNS and
> sometimes web and mail servers) around 2.2.5 or 2.2.8, my first
> workstation was around 2000 (laptop or notebook I do not remember exact
> model anymore).

From nobody Wed Oct  7 11:52:53 2026
X-Original-To: questions@mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org
Received: from mx1.freebsd.org (mx1.freebsd.org [IPv6:2610:1c1:1:606c::19:1])
	by mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 4j0BMs4f1pz6vnBB
	for <questions@mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org>; Wed, 07 Oct 2026 11:53:13 +0000 (UTC)
	(envelope-from aimass@yabarana.com)
Received: from mail-oa1-x2e.google.com (mail-oa1-x2e.google.com [IPv6:2001:4860:4864:20::2e])
	(using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256 (128/128 bits)
	 key-exchange x25519 server-signature RSA-PSS (4096 bits) server-digest SHA256
	 client-signature RSA-PSS (2048 bits) client-digest SHA256)
	(Client CN "smtp.gmail.com", Issuer "WR4" (verified OK))
	by mx1.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 4j0BMr6SWwz4lh4
	for <questions@freebsd.org>; Wed, 07 Oct 2026 11:53:11 +0000 (UTC)
	(envelope-from aimass@yabarana.com)
Authentication-Results: mx1.freebsd.org;
	dkim=pass header.d=yabarana-com.20251104.gappssmtp.com header.s=20251104 header.b=zX2mc5YO;
	arc=pass ("google.com:s=arc-20260327:i=1");
	spf=pass (mx1.freebsd.org: domain of aimass@yabarana.com designates 2001:4860:4864:20::2e as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=aimass@yabarana.com;
	dmarc=none
Received: by mail-oa1-x2e.google.com with SMTP id 586e51a60fabf-4877837890fso983730fac.2
        for <questions@freebsd.org>; Wed, 07 Oct 2026 04:53:11 -0700 (PDT)
ARC-Seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1791373985; cv=none;
        d=google.com; s=arc-20260327;
        b=Z/aK+dU9nLSYRPW0XPoB/i3XfpJaC/Jx6KsetKpBYpJCtgWefS6zb/hZAYTKC5wdjO
         qwBsgLy0nmiYZDDBRnR6Vqsp1p2wy72msBj7EkaMGxLRIxO18nufP4zgf9di4SBKKOxf
         UOdvRWupeLuSLMtNZsE32vOofczkt7UXuw1HPTGc6Iavs7X9eDjlyW6siquUA7EQ8+J8
         ubS/jvDXgomVz5PFxNwGv+lcwMTCLm2VqYr02u8bDyUbOA+JE1LqqJoMhqCYOdGBcEKd
         LiwlGBiDCKna/wL1DZEVFO4fTs1Q8W/BR4NY8qiCg+/HVKkqL7XXOnGLtddBTgClnyVt
         9x4A==
ARC-Message-Signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20260327;
        h=cc:to:subject:message-id:date:from:in-reply-to:references
         :mime-version:dkim-signature;
        bh=xzYVQqTIgn/NP/yz0Cell5UAenCdiUhdQR/tObw28c4=;
        fh=nl/5jRsHjkFBti1a6OKL0/6TDX2DnBFHip94eoPKH2k=;
        b=btRuqTVRGXY9yYToIgSr+j+KxujLV1bs0LfcER3bfFcW7wIZ3tL/kr8F3xaJRrhMCJ
         Nv2cMURZr58xL+S9FOvwc+7Cndx7ms216gwTmBVeLVQqpH3g4Zr/YmcnOYPz5IJsI02y
         vM6UZngZbSRGl6yoR07MzRiSntEwFs7g8aIFyqkeX4aZeY0pxobdYgaGQ+CFUZbwpzHa
         GTozJxajBQV+8mBc1vv7kzo6F60baX8TRfe2+nTCWqq+j2FDT1DOizI4uW6gKhr8jv9/
         KtNWSSJqeaOjKS8V6/vxPv0CUdjaqv2ZceqzOj2bT6jya7EjAWGmrjzdzbT0WRPWJSOi
         0yBA==;
        darn=freebsd.org
ARC-Authentication-Results: i=1; mx.google.com; arc=none
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;
        d=yabarana-com.20251104.gappssmtp.com; s=20251104; t=1791373985; x=1791978785; darn=freebsd.org;
        h=content-type:cc:to:subject:message-id:date:from:in-reply-to
         :references:mime-version:from:to:cc:subject:date:message-id:reply-to
         :content-type;
        bh=xzYVQqTIgn/NP/yz0Cell5UAenCdiUhdQR/tObw28c4=;
        b=zX2mc5YOlaOjlOHBrdhxTKZ/4dNciac4twl/Ync3PI0vWYfi0KTGVO40aw6oG6hPR4
         am9c416wxbKvXp9ABs0oY33lsYfX4RzDAuI1wUn1YktpS7/P7YQhTcv7XZovbOAOrDLA
         VcNLz8+dORSkUcFrP9Qxv9jcvmTXfjrp7DoltJmuRM3miLfT0qRtTGhxKMoOMRXKnGel
         GVZhw4M2MOdtG/4KlJGXyic1+GJnfXnL0DfPsGAMuLGnv/b5XCVewpFvoEIdEI/W6bO+
         n0wim5qfZUI3xdJbQCrPyIXIlak46raGEOMmbjYSA0uzxpKpHk3bGzYF/ecc2vAoPBG5
         gYsw==
X-Google-DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;
        d=1e100.net; s=20260707; t=1791373985; x=1791978785;
        h=content-type:cc:to:subject:message-id:date:from:in-reply-to
         :references:mime-version:x-gm-gg:x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc
         :subject:date:message-id:reply-to:content-type;
        bh=xzYVQqTIgn/NP/yz0Cell5UAenCdiUhdQR/tObw28c4=;
        b=dWh22wUvRbDZR14CqeSTq2aYfVuvbk632jVhUTptjOSwGXgYjjHS88ZHkcMn75+qai
         IN0r2H46mhb/Ufd+cCkP9A8dEkPOw6n02AevzGTV+Kt/cEU0f7cRuk7Onn1/2hrBlVZS
         cfbYjKgqayuQytXB9MY2P5ZfxKYPHQp1vg6ZyAvY61B1plhkw99KBZLQIC8UdWWFZG6f
         uC5KVNnCHmu1p+vxX4VeCUdYwldANQwuRvbptYlcSbOURW18kzXipLjGjc9LxooPSeE6
         NNjNG0WJohKLrVE3scwhlAbCAXCxB70dW/C3m1d1qrTWv7FjhVezWo7EgQfPWCCUowzD
         3FhA==
X-Forwarded-Encrypted: i=1; AKwUvBwT0sZ0pXE0Bb2SVTyU3N1GSxzM30EjSW1g/hUfXsKBclW8I0qbh8HNc8Sv6Mzd0jO5k7MWazqW9/4=@freebsd.org
X-Gm-Message-State: AFuF++mo+KTeFYKh77MePb7HDYapusWY+2RxXXhADsLTgKK7Av/IQl5+
	3X1C4uOIkIeDvYw6CABW4oCXao+9YDo6NQ/0gnSnKfYKwoOgW/HGBT0MYj7nHPbjoKihMHkBZkL
	AJVEoonV7ccrZ+mASVPLXRAni80lu2Bku83mRPvEHlyV/isQP7gF/zjw=
X-Gm-Gg: AYBFou1V7dIuBCDf1td0U5/BlBT9InhAu3TNcH3X3QwYWwIexYPx+Ga9AzxLD3ad4fp
	7VTVjEaWRS4KkdKf4VIa2lqfmL006c5CKtRYV3V7nOg8ByeRCHH2OmGT99E7XCsKWUoQQ/SOFPL
	Uvrs3sDaXlkEK00TMpLNxHRawnjTy1frvLCBNe674u/Gx5IidPy5eB8sxXEopiYsM293/pwgi/U
	e09fgmX1bXVm+vwie9GI5oe5kQhwvlvQM0wrv35zYZ9/vKjYMShXBH1Qj+pH5+sK47TvkSJx7EH
	yF03UPiMh++F56rqsSiAlsU0XeW74bboNNGQ3OEVs1T9Da9n8ekUWJlSta/TIL/hsfb8
X-Received: by 2002:a05:6808:1485:b0:4d6:90f4:48b7 with SMTP id
 5614622812f47-4fc46b8a48cmr2647265b6e.57.1791373985397; Wed, 07 Oct 2026
 04:53:05 -0700 (PDT)
List-Id: User questions <freebsd-questions.freebsd.org>
List-Archive: https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-questions
List-Help: <mailto:questions+help@freebsd.org>
List-Post: <mailto:questions@freebsd.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:questions+subscribe@freebsd.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:questions+unsubscribe@freebsd.org>
X-BeenThere: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
List-Id: <freebsd-questions.FreeBSD.org>
List-Post: <mailto:freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
List-Help: <mailto:freebsd-questions+help@FreeBSD.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:freebsd-questions+subscribe@FreeBSD.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:freebsd-questions+unsubscribe@FreeBSD.org>
List-Owner: <mailto:postmaster@FreeBSD.org>
Precedence: list
MIME-Version: 1.0
References: <40F0E96E-2996-41A0-8302-A9A11E7AA4E4@lbon.dev> <b1a8efa9c70ada3a58f4557b11ad4800@dalescott.net>
In-Reply-To: <b1a8efa9c70ada3a58f4557b11ad4800@dalescott.net>
From: Alejandro Imass <aimass@yabarana.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2026 07:52:53 -0400
X-Gm-Features: AclHuK_nQHksyYIPYRZxv-EnpVkfNgUnbjutdipOAIcBZF8t7rAVOcdYQ67_tT0
Message-ID: <CAHieY7Rm13PwLUL5-TzOv6NDAoLhZc_Kui7OhC4SWXn3vcj+Cg@mail.gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Where is your FreeBSD?
To: Dale Scott <dale@dalescott.net>
Cc: Luigi <luigi@lbon.dev>, questions@freebsd.org
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="0000000000000f5242065d3ec237"
X-Spamd-Bar: /
X-Spamd-Result: default: False [-0.50 / 15.00];
	ARC_ALLOW(-1.00)[google.com:s=arc-20260327:i=1];
	SUBJECT_ENDS_QUESTION(1.00)[];
	R_DKIM_ALLOW(-0.20)[yabarana-com.20251104.gappssmtp.com:s=20251104];
	R_SPF_ALLOW(-0.20)[+ip6:2001:4860:4864::/56];
	MIME_GOOD(-0.10)[multipart/alternative,text/plain];
	ASN(0.00)[asn:15169, ipnet:2001:4860:4864::/48, country:US];
	TO_DN_SOME(0.00)[];
	RCVD_COUNT_ONE(0.00)[1];
	MISSING_XM_UA(0.00)[];
	MIME_TRACE(0.00)[0:+,1:+,2:~];
	RCVD_IN_DNSWL_NONE(0.00)[2001:4860:4864:20::2e:from];
	MLMMJ_DEST(0.00)[questions@freebsd.org];
	RCPT_COUNT_THREE(0.00)[3];
	FROM_EQ_ENVFROM(0.00)[];
	FROM_HAS_DN(0.00)[];
	DMARC_NA(0.00)[yabarana.com];
	TO_MATCH_ENVRCPT_SOME(0.00)[];
	RCVD_TLS_LAST(0.00)[];
	PREVIOUSLY_DELIVERED(0.00)[questions@freebsd.org];
	DKIM_TRACE(0.00)[yabarana-com.20251104.gappssmtp.com:+]
X-Rspamd-Queue-Id: 4j0BMr6SWwz4lh4

--0000000000000f5242065d3ec237
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

On Tue, Sep 22, 2026 at 2:57=E2=80=AFPM Dale Scott <dale@dalescott.net> wro=
te:

> On 2026-09-21 14:34, Luigi wrote:
>
> > I wonder, are there more FreeBSD "laptop users" or "server users" out
> > there ?
>
> Welcome to the FreeBSD community! My feeling is that there are far more
> servers using FreeBSD than personal laptops and that the majority of
> FreeBSD laptop users are also managing FreeBSD servers.
>
>
Idem.


> I have had a public facing FreeBSD server since 7.2 when I abandoned
> Linux because I was spending more time keeping up with Linux than
> getting actual work done.
>
>
Wow. This is such a coincidence. This is almost exactly when we
abandoned Linux for server work as well! We had tons of issues on Linux
under high load bc the default VM settings are way too overoptimistic, and
it's very hard to fine-tune. IIRC we switched around the tail-end of
FreeBSD 6 but quickly changed to 7.
What our documented experiments showed: if you fully loaded a Linux box
(IIRC, a Debian system with Kernel 2.24 at the time) and forced it to use
90% of its swap, Linux remained unstable and required a reboot after the
load was removed. On the identical hardware, we removed the disk drive and
installed the identical stack with FreeBSD and ran the identical load
tests, and FreeBSD recovered every time. In fact in later tests we pushed
FBSD to 100% of swap and it still recovered when the load was removed.

The second reason we switched to FBSD was the upgrades. Generally speaking
FreeBSD upgrades are flawless, PROVIDED you keep you systems updated and
upgrade more or less on the FBSD release schedule. If you upgrade all the
minors, upgrades are basically seamless.

The third reason we switched to FBSD was the Jail system. At the time we
used EzJail and were doing things in 2006 that I only saw later with Docker
6 years later. Today we use BastilleBSD. Our current direction is to help
in the effort for a native k8s data plane on FBSD that leverages the Jail
system. This will take some time, but FBSD is naturally the better choice
for bare metal k8s. In the meantime, bhyve helps us fill some of those
gaps. So again, FBSD beats Linux in every measure.

However my laptops (a collection of corporate castoffs) run Windows and
> Linux so I'm not spending time managing them and getting peripherals to
> work. My newest laptop uses Windows and is my primary dev machine
>

[...]

Idem. But in our case we use macOS precisely because it was largely based
on FBSD.

Best,

--=20
Alex


>

--0000000000000f5242065d3ec237
Content-Type: text/html; charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div dir=3D"ltr"><br></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote g=
mail_quote_container"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Tue, Sep 22,=
 2026 at 2:57=E2=80=AFPM Dale Scott &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dale@dalescott.ne=
t">dale@dalescott.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_qu=
ote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,20=
4);padding-left:1ex">On 2026-09-21 14:34, Luigi wrote:<br>
<br>
&gt; I wonder, are there more FreeBSD &quot;laptop users&quot; or &quot;ser=
ver users&quot; out <br>
&gt; there ?<br>
<br>
Welcome to the FreeBSD community! My feeling is that there are far more <br=
>
servers using FreeBSD than personal laptops and that the majority of <br>
FreeBSD laptop users are also managing FreeBSD servers.<br>
<br></blockquote><div><br></div><div>Idem.</div><div>=C2=A0</div><blockquot=
e class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px s=
olid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
I have had a public facing FreeBSD server since 7.2 when I abandoned <br>
Linux because I was spending more time keeping up with Linux than <br>
getting actual work done.<br>
<br></blockquote><div><br></div><div>Wow. This is such a coincidence. This =
is almost exactly=C2=A0when we abandoned=C2=A0Linux for server work as well=
! We had tons of issues on Linux under high load bc the default VM settings=
 are way too overoptimistic, and it&#39;s very hard to fine-tune. IIRC we s=
witched around the tail-end of FreeBSD 6 but quickly changed to 7.</div><di=
v>What=C2=A0our documented experiments showed: if you fully loaded a Linux =
box (IIRC, a Debian system with Kernel 2.24 at the time) and forced it to u=
se 90% of its swap, Linux remained unstable and required a reboot after the=
 load was removed. On the identical hardware, we removed the disk drive and=
 installed the identical stack with FreeBSD and ran the identical load test=
s, and FreeBSD recovered every time. In fact in later tests we pushed FBSD =
to 100% of swap and it still recovered when the load was removed.</div><div=
><br></div><div>The second reason we switched to FBSD was the upgrades. Gen=
erally speaking FreeBSD upgrades are flawless, PROVIDED you keep you system=
s updated and upgrade more or less on the FBSD release schedule. If you upg=
rade all the minors, upgrades are basically seamless.</div><div><br></div><=
div>The third reason we switched to FBSD was the Jail system. At the time w=
e used EzJail and were doing things in 2006 that I only saw later with Dock=
er 6 years later. Today we use BastilleBSD. Our current direction is to hel=
p in the effort for a native k8s data plane on FBSD that leverages the Jail=
 system. This will take some time, but FBSD is naturally the better choice =
for bare metal k8s. In the meantime, bhyve helps us fill some of those gaps=
. So again, FBSD beats Linux in every measure.</div><div><br></div><blockqu=
ote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px=
 solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
However my laptops (a collection of corporate castoffs) run Windows and <br=
>
Linux so I&#39;m not spending time managing them and getting peripherals to=
 <br>
work. My newest laptop uses Windows and is my primary dev machine <br></blo=
ckquote><div><br></div><div>[...]</div><div><br></div><div>Idem. But in our=
 case we use macOS precisely because it was largely based on FBSD.</div><di=
v>=C2=A0</div><div>Best,</div><div><br></div><div>--=C2=A0</div><div>Alex</=
div><div><br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0p=
x 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><br>
</blockquote></div></div>

--0000000000000f5242065d3ec237--

From nobody Wed Oct  7 12:08:51 2026
X-Original-To: questions@mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org
Received: from mx1.freebsd.org (mx1.freebsd.org [IPv6:2610:1c1:1:606c::19:1])
	by mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 4j0BkB4l1pz6vpRD
	for <questions@mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org>; Wed, 07 Oct 2026 12:09:06 +0000 (UTC)
	(envelope-from aimass@yabarana.com)
Received: from mail-oa1-x35.google.com (mail-oa1-x35.google.com [IPv6:2001:4860:4864:20::35])
	(using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256 (128/128 bits)
	 key-exchange x25519 server-signature RSA-PSS (4096 bits) server-digest SHA256
	 client-signature RSA-PSS (2048 bits) client-digest SHA256)
	(Client CN "smtp.gmail.com", Issuer "WR4" (verified OK))
	by mx1.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 4j0BkB080Gz4ncS
	for <questions@freebsd.org>; Wed, 07 Oct 2026 12:09:06 +0000 (UTC)
	(envelope-from aimass@yabarana.com)
Authentication-Results: mx1.freebsd.org;
	dkim=pass header.d=yabarana-com.20251104.gappssmtp.com header.s=20251104 header.b=zWp9Rfy9;
	arc=pass ("google.com:s=arc-20260327:i=1");
	spf=pass (mx1.freebsd.org: domain of aimass@yabarana.com designates 2001:4860:4864:20::35 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=aimass@yabarana.com;
	dmarc=none
Received: by mail-oa1-x35.google.com with SMTP id 586e51a60fabf-455ca262ccbso1246262fac.1
        for <questions@freebsd.org>; Wed, 07 Oct 2026 05:09:05 -0700 (PDT)
ARC-Seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1791374943; cv=none;
        d=google.com; s=arc-20260327;
        b=R09gaJubG67+juMmrVa2hCsC9QYq3569cwlaMca1nGGkzzwQ2beJcJXsWVGQKFyVyG
         tr0PglsbO873oDAXqrQK4KsdNp2iRSkoE0AtSZdIee4Y2n3rtxywwZlfRPVLa67P1W1s
         X+sWEX8Ohb/bOIibhCOaFKisQahg5xD89gvVBEMZuygu6glya5YPbkSR8r/XCb9QbjNh
         zK2aNj4wZtZA8Cmkd2bIaVD3/hOQk+rgPNXzuaMkAEpu9s72TCOzgJAf1y4kggZQV86d
         A6phXhS+2g/pUAF1t6sa9i5gr5dlaf5ufEZzENfz/TdoEd6BoL9Hm/EPmUnL56HzDz5K
         VhmQ==
ARC-Message-Signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20260327;
        h=cc:to:subject:message-id:date:from:in-reply-to:references
         :mime-version:dkim-signature;
        bh=+sSdS9GC9IZT9TbFIa3Ek0YiSKqRnZ+T0bDRK8MdT78=;
        fh=A4sLek6x2CAGFnZQzm/ocXIkKXU4pABp/9ISptweQZU=;
        b=J+a7u2K3F2K7OZZykAUfMlIs0Y5TWLr60jang3gPW23NFdCyqKTjnXwvio9PsmzfOl
         iM6On0m9y2RS2DI/yuw935ZoP8xKWuURlrVMS2PWLV8UBVETW/5v870wct978BAJA88Q
         bLFYWGRFq+n64hawJT/c3Jw5QLVU2rpA9hXr5r5+Gk0FPOLHl6dwbLfjj0LWbf0ok/BU
         IcCxN3u60hXZLgQbaHr9z2QjQKAKF54umtn2GBLMEEjjEZAk3Qk28eJda0G5xFbANGoJ
         SibETyf4cr6b4Mtue6/UTVQxvvWxJDhuQAzet1AZKEOczmZ4/clWX209DNoh5Wd+lWKS
         VwyA==;
        darn=freebsd.org
ARC-Authentication-Results: i=1; mx.google.com; arc=none
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;
        d=yabarana-com.20251104.gappssmtp.com; s=20251104; t=1791374943; x=1791979743; darn=freebsd.org;
        h=content-type:cc:to:subject:message-id:date:from:in-reply-to
         :references:mime-version:from:to:cc:subject:date:message-id:reply-to
         :content-type;
        bh=+sSdS9GC9IZT9TbFIa3Ek0YiSKqRnZ+T0bDRK8MdT78=;
        b=zWp9Rfy94VIi0G/4DR1Zap/Y0aIb1j8+UiYTvhiF0KoPSWExeCShb8a9f70Puu7bhJ
         m973m6G3XQZHustNLWc/ORJlP4798qGXWYYqT3X3en1C0B4ZSFpaOIC5gDNS4zL/8Ok4
         n17LbyyKdl4Ds0gVoil1ipfmfqk7yaEwXdkr1RAkSP0zMsBuj5U/+HKY0MHec/b+Pn8D
         +rSFuukYQoKNh9xL/QbGfOxj3ExP+ralQLy3dXJrc004VOgLniF60WGUgN4oTQ75Zyk4
         ApfHpGcX0MHAjfWl9T8a2E+M4e44PhyVbrkJQhPBbhqSbxNnY4yJtUlBMsfyMsv9fTZ6
         M90w==
X-Google-DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;
        d=1e100.net; s=20260707; t=1791374943; x=1791979743;
        h=content-type:cc:to:subject:message-id:date:from:in-reply-to
         :references:mime-version:x-gm-gg:x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc
         :subject:date:message-id:reply-to:content-type;
        bh=+sSdS9GC9IZT9TbFIa3Ek0YiSKqRnZ+T0bDRK8MdT78=;
        b=tmDcanK4IeFUrXqYCOr9KYCcxlbgfQRJb7zaGXk+S0qCYIxyHYMc/ydlUrWrxpY2Lq
         HFblNkEJwESqK7eaNKhoeB3zZjKEZAB3MgufJ6XqAPGZnGIJhmqqVbEn2gZNTN3qpfjq
         3TuRJaJTus04/2KmRtRjl9R3dpKZ9eU6idQR72PtJ1zPZLQwAL2vss7AswOEZhVn+i9M
         Zi9AfLSnH3aPr17aEFbj/53slnOrLq4etRI4+SiZ1zNAxlZaNYbVWOmVyp5MZeoxm03G
         p7lvELnZNtSEFbDQhDMqChj5FoocBqYa7jC0pO6Q96i3Qz3Q0yqxh3kaaY9Fy/e9PRRF
         MNMg==
X-Forwarded-Encrypted: i=1; AKwUvByQlbN1kRPHixtL/6RHcQz5Iq/GjtplGPdIKHtTuTsaUDTbxj4xaySum0dxF4p+2XPdvYNuwtWaiB4=@freebsd.org
X-Gm-Message-State: AFuF++k2PHQnSKFImoaHCi3uYfGkBMSFl/Vh3goN213DeDaFW9oxjtLz
	WnVOmA8Ku9/fTcrTtiZlGQoLQPrFMgVZYAw53eoPYwnV8FZAAkOasMevLBTxwqzohIytHbCswJk
	2b6raktoRt4w8xVS19iLy+IVw/FJEJSHddIUoHIlWmseatFgE1AYjuCQ=
X-Gm-Gg: AYBFou3RnZEx35ShelFgmRIVdt0MAcD1A6Tz4CUDupBwTxVb2WrnLs8xLp5HBPAOeNW
	8jooZRtC+N1xL9b9ldGaFPRcysQJif8lib6/nNeHRHBSP8o+OwlyKhkPmdO32ILG459bvbRNLAI
	GpAtDOek0tUu4DA7wrhi2kmZduMcihBPWXpZ9E0hINno3s9H9DJz1i6UnBOMepdyHsRa6cKTt0x
	ssM576jio89+Beiw5NaBIBWxM2Q5JgyTNYD980FmUsm2ks1auzjMn2cVKrtydNfoTar0ROLwvNj
	kQesrBL74rPzj3U8i4vVfAHg0sTCk6PH26DgFxh1JgXI57o5zbbz6+qtlA==
X-Received: by 2002:a05:6808:3094:b0:4f4:857c:98ae with SMTP id
 5614622812f47-4fc45d5e73cmr2323593b6e.11.1791374943445; Wed, 07 Oct 2026
 05:09:03 -0700 (PDT)
List-Id: User questions <freebsd-questions.freebsd.org>
List-Archive: https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-questions
List-Help: <mailto:questions+help@freebsd.org>
List-Post: <mailto:questions@freebsd.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:questions+subscribe@freebsd.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:questions+unsubscribe@freebsd.org>
X-BeenThere: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
List-Id: <freebsd-questions.FreeBSD.org>
List-Post: <mailto:freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
List-Help: <mailto:freebsd-questions+help@FreeBSD.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:freebsd-questions+subscribe@FreeBSD.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:freebsd-questions+unsubscribe@FreeBSD.org>
List-Owner: <mailto:postmaster@FreeBSD.org>
Precedence: list
MIME-Version: 1.0
References: <40F0E96E-2996-41A0-8302-A9A11E7AA4E4@lbon.dev>
 <b1a8efa9c70ada3a58f4557b11ad4800@dalescott.net> <BE1P281MB2885B6F5EEEAA5A3FF4373CF85822@BE1P281MB2885.DEUP281.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM>
 <a04c46b1-16d7-b0fa-21b8-64c0531ae032@puchar.net>
In-Reply-To: <a04c46b1-16d7-b0fa-21b8-64c0531ae032@puchar.net>
From: Alejandro Imass <aimass@yabarana.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2026 08:08:51 -0400
X-Gm-Features: AclHuK_GhTotw2CXwEprntv2hNmYTMmU8iPH6KL_IrpwgjgTouUDmfoCGUu_L3Q
Message-ID: <CAHieY7RPOVFkBXDdbP3aP4AbLnMsb77zHgMowgVUDeMtjArzgA@mail.gmail.com>
Subject: Re: AW: Where is your FreeBSD?
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@puchar.net>
Cc: "markus.hoenicka@mhoenicka.de" <markus.hoenicka@mhoenicka.de>, Luigi <luigi@lbon.dev>, 
	"questions@freebsd.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="00000000000029f73d065d3efb2a"
X-Spamd-Bar: /
X-Spamd-Result: default: False [-0.50 / 15.00];
	ARC_ALLOW(-1.00)[google.com:s=arc-20260327:i=1];
	SUBJECT_ENDS_QUESTION(1.00)[];
	R_SPF_ALLOW(-0.20)[+ip6:2001:4860:4864::/56];
	R_DKIM_ALLOW(-0.20)[yabarana-com.20251104.gappssmtp.com:s=20251104];
	MIME_GOOD(-0.10)[multipart/alternative,text/plain];
	ASN(0.00)[asn:15169, ipnet:2001:4860:4864::/48, country:US];
	RCVD_COUNT_ONE(0.00)[1];
	MIME_TRACE(0.00)[0:+,1:+,2:~];
	TO_DN_EQ_ADDR_SOME(0.00)[];
	MISSING_XM_UA(0.00)[];
	TO_DN_SOME(0.00)[];
	RCVD_IN_DNSWL_NONE(0.00)[2001:4860:4864:20::35:from];
	DMARC_NA(0.00)[yabarana.com];
	MLMMJ_DEST(0.00)[questions@freebsd.org];
	FROM_EQ_ENVFROM(0.00)[];
	FROM_HAS_DN(0.00)[];
	RCPT_COUNT_THREE(0.00)[4];
	TO_MATCH_ENVRCPT_SOME(0.00)[];
	RCVD_TLS_LAST(0.00)[];
	PREVIOUSLY_DELIVERED(0.00)[questions@freebsd.org];
	DKIM_TRACE(0.00)[yabarana-com.20251104.gappssmtp.com:+]
X-Rspamd-Queue-Id: 4j0BkB080Gz4ncS

--00000000000029f73d065d3efb2a
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

On Wed, Sep 23, 2026 at 9:03=E2=80=AFAM Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@puchar.net>=
 wrote:

> > software provided by my employer (medical center with elevated data
> security requirements).
> > According to my experience running FreeBSD on a workstation or laptop
> isn't a big deal unless
> > you need to have the latest hardware. I run affordable pre-owned laptop=
s
> (3 or more years )
> > and didn't run into any problems that the web didn't know how to fix
> already.
> Most imporantly lower cost laptops (new or used) doesn't have fancy and
> mostly useless hardware like high-end GPU, runs longer on battery and mos=
t
> likely FreeBSD supports all hardware.


Love this ! In fact, I have been thinking of completely re-evaluating my
computer usage paradigm.  I know it sounds insane but there were text-based
systems that were in fact superior to anything developed afterwards. I.e.
we abandoned certain paradigms because Windows forced the Xerox-PARC
Smalltalk GUI paradigm on the world, after they copied it (badly) from
Apple (The Mac) who had in turn, copied it from Xerox.

But people forget that some people took these same ideas and developed
alternative userland paradigms. A great example is Robert Carr whe he
developed "Framework" for Ashton-Tate. Not very many people I know actually
used Framework on a daily basis, but those of us who did, understand that
Carr had stumbled onto something that I particularly never saw again. I
have a great story in this regard, but don't want to digress this note.

My point is that in this AI frenzy era, perhaps it is time to go back in
time, and re-evaluate some of these lost branches of computing and maybe
branch off from one of them to turn this on its head. IMHO the current
userland computer paradigm has peaked and it's only downhill from here. I
think we need to go back to basics. Again I know that a text-based UI on
top of something like FBSD sounds insane, but it's really not. I have some
ideas but I don't yet have time/budget to fully explore them.

Best,

--=20
Alex

--00000000000029f73d065d3efb2a
Content-Type: text/html; charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div dir=3D"ltr"><br></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote g=
mail_quote_container"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Wed, Sep 23,=
 2026 at 9:03=E2=80=AFAM Wojciech Puchar &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:wojtek@pucha=
r.net">wojtek@puchar.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail=
_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204=
,204);padding-left:1ex">&gt; software provided by my employer (medical cent=
er with elevated data security requirements).=C2=A0<br>
&gt; According to my experience running FreeBSD on a workstation or laptop =
isn&#39;t a big deal unless<br>
&gt; you need to have the latest hardware. I run affordable pre-owned lapto=
ps (3 or more years )<br>
&gt; and didn&#39;t run into any problems that the web didn&#39;t know how =
to fix already.<br>
Most imporantly lower cost laptops (new or used) doesn&#39;t have fancy and=
 <br>
mostly useless hardware like high-end GPU, runs longer on battery and most =
<br>
likely FreeBSD supports all hardware.</blockquote><div><br></div><div>Love =
this ! In fact, I have been thinking of completely re-evaluating my compute=
r usage paradigm.=C2=A0 I know it sounds insane but there were text-based s=
ystems that were in fact superior to anything developed=C2=A0afterwards. I.=
e. we abandoned=C2=A0certain paradigms because Windows forced the Xerox-PAR=
C Smalltalk GUI paradigm on the world, after they copied it (badly) from Ap=
ple (The Mac) who had in turn, copied it from Xerox.</div><div><br></div><d=
iv>But people forget that some people took these same ideas and developed a=
lternative userland paradigms. A great example is Robert Carr whe he develo=
ped &quot;Framework&quot; for Ashton-Tate. Not very many people I know actu=
ally used Framework on a daily basis, but those of us who did, understand t=
hat Carr had stumbled onto something that I particularly never saw again. I=
 have a great story in this regard, but don&#39;t want to digress this note=
.</div><div><br></div><div>My point is that in this AI frenzy era, perhaps =
it is time to go back in time, and re-evaluate some of these lost branches =
of computing and maybe branch off from one of them to turn this on its head=
. IMHO the current userland computer paradigm has peaked and it&#39;s only =
downhill from here. I think we need to go back to basics. Again I know that=
 a text-based UI on top of something like FBSD sounds insane, but it&#39;s =
really not. I have some ideas but I don&#39;t yet have time/budget to fully=
 explore them.</div><div><br></div><div>Best,</div><div><br></div><div>--=
=C2=A0</div><div>Alex</div><div><br></div></div></div>

--00000000000029f73d065d3efb2a--

From nobody Wed Oct  7 19:43:21 2026
X-Original-To: questions@mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org
Received: from mx1.freebsd.org (mx1.freebsd.org [IPv6:2610:1c1:1:606c::19:1])
	by mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 4j0NpX0DhSz4nF23
	for <questions@mlmmj.nyi.freebsd.org>; Wed, 07 Oct 2026 19:43:32 +0000 (UTC)
	(envelope-from wojtek@puchar.net)
Received: from puchar.net (puchar.net [194.1.144.90])
	(using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (256/256 bits)
	 key-exchange x25519 server-signature RSA-PSS (4096 bits) server-digest SHA256)
	(Client did not present a certificate)
	by mx1.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 4j0NpV60vdz4xrG
	for <questions@freebsd.org>; Wed, 07 Oct 2026 19:43:30 +0000 (UTC)
	(envelope-from wojtek@puchar.net)
Authentication-Results: mx1.freebsd.org;
	dkim=pass header.d=puchar.net header.s=default header.b="l1pNH/iW";
	spf=pass (mx1.freebsd.org: domain of wojtek@puchar.net designates 194.1.144.90 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=wojtek@puchar.net;
	dmarc=none
Received: Received: from 127.0.0.1 (localhost [127.0.0.1])
        by puchar.net (8.18.2/8.18.2) with ESMTPS id 697JhMh2086086
         (version=TLSv1.3 cipher=TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 bits=256 verify=NO);
        Wed, 7 Oct 2026 21:43:23 +0200 (CEST)
        (envelope-from wojtek@puchar.net)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=puchar.net;
	s=default; t=1791402203;
	bh=afSRNrVQXqrQkDXz6PbFRiaeHPvcClhorXhve8FrlH8=;
	h=Date:From:To:cc:Subject:In-Reply-To:References;
	b=l1pNH/iWGhuHZUq8duu+nN8npGjCP5qFIWsM5W9c0ACP6Ncufz6kbZ9HIFvam/eKl
	 1Eu7yo/PyH/uP8nlYfvqPaclzavkEtSoTl7ibfHmLLI4chO/008t485LTz2isFgGg4
	 XqvA+WsaIhJ2Nxfej4hBGHF3xugPV7qLYCN/DYxg=
Received: from wojtek.intra (localhost [127.0.0.1])
	by wojtek.intra (8.18.1/8.18.1) with ESMTP id 697JhMjv024359;
	Wed, 7 Oct 2026 21:43:22 +0200 (CEST)
	(envelope-from wojtek@puchar.net)
Received: from localhost (wojtek@localhost)
	by wojtek.intra (8.18.1/8.18.1/Submit) with ESMTP id 697JhLvJ024356;
	Wed, 7 Oct 2026 21:43:21 +0200 (CEST)
	(envelope-from wojtek@puchar.net)
X-Authentication-Warning: wojtek.intra: wojtek owned process doing -bs
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2026 21:43:21 +0200 (CEST)
From: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@puchar.net>
To: Alejandro Imass <aimass@yabarana.com>
cc: "markus.hoenicka@mhoenicka.de" <markus.hoenicka@mhoenicka.de>,
        Luigi <luigi@lbon.dev>,
        "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject: Re: AW: Where is your FreeBSD?
In-Reply-To: <CAHieY7RPOVFkBXDdbP3aP4AbLnMsb77zHgMowgVUDeMtjArzgA@mail.gmail.com>
Message-ID: <23d96e89-f4f3-4e9e-3118-2f5153ea1aa7@puchar.net>
References: <40F0E96E-2996-41A0-8302-A9A11E7AA4E4@lbon.dev> <b1a8efa9c70ada3a58f4557b11ad4800@dalescott.net> <BE1P281MB2885B6F5EEEAA5A3FF4373CF85822@BE1P281MB2885.DEUP281.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM> <a04c46b1-16d7-b0fa-21b8-64c0531ae032@puchar.net>
 <CAHieY7RPOVFkBXDdbP3aP4AbLnMsb77zHgMowgVUDeMtjArzgA@mail.gmail.com>
List-Id: User questions <freebsd-questions.freebsd.org>
List-Archive: https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-questions
List-Help: <mailto:questions+help@freebsd.org>
List-Post: <mailto:questions@freebsd.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:questions+subscribe@freebsd.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:questions+unsubscribe@freebsd.org>
X-BeenThere: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
List-Id: <freebsd-questions.FreeBSD.org>
List-Post: <mailto:freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
List-Help: <mailto:freebsd-questions+help@FreeBSD.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:freebsd-questions+subscribe@FreeBSD.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:freebsd-questions+unsubscribe@FreeBSD.org>
List-Owner: <mailto:postmaster@FreeBSD.org>
Precedence: list
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="3974694515-1341460863-1791402202=:24355"
X-Spamd-Bar: +
X-Spamd-Result: default: False [1.50 / 15.00];
	SUBJECT_ENDS_QUESTION(1.00)[];
	CTYPE_MIXED_BOGUS(1.00)[];
	R_DKIM_ALLOW(-0.20)[puchar.net:s=default];
	R_SPF_ALLOW(-0.20)[+mx];
	MIME_GOOD(-0.10)[multipart/mixed,text/plain];
	TO_DN_EQ_ADDR_SOME(0.00)[];
	DMARC_NA(0.00)[puchar.net];
	ASN(0.00)[asn:43476, ipnet:194.1.144.0/24, country:PL];
	MIME_TRACE(0.00)[0:+,1:+];
	MISSING_XM_UA(0.00)[];
	ARC_NA(0.00)[];
	TO_DN_SOME(0.00)[];
	RWL_MAILSPIKE_POSSIBLE(0.00)[194.1.144.90:from];
	HAS_XAW(0.00)[];
	MID_RHS_MATCH_FROM(0.00)[];
	RCVD_COUNT_TWO(0.00)[2];
	FROM_EQ_ENVFROM(0.00)[];
	FROM_HAS_DN(0.00)[];
	RCPT_COUNT_THREE(0.00)[4];
	TO_MATCH_ENVRCPT_SOME(0.00)[];
	RECEIVED_HELO_LOCALHOST(0.00)[];
	RCVD_TLS_LAST(0.00)[];
	MLMMJ_DEST(0.00)[questions@freebsd.org];
	DKIM_TRACE(0.00)[puchar.net:+]
X-Rspamd-Queue-Id: 4j0NpV60vdz4xrG

  This message is in MIME format.  The first part should be readable text,
  while the remaining parts are likely unreadable without MIME-aware tools.

--3974694515-1341460863-1791402202=:24355
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8BIT

> Love this ! In fact, I have been thinking of completely re-evaluating my computer usage
> paradigm.  I know it sounds insane but there were text-based systems that were in fact
> superior to anything developed afterwards. I.e. we abandoned certain paradigms because
> Windows forced the Xerox-PARC Smalltalk GUI paradigm on the world, after they copied it
> (badly) from Apple (The Mac) who had in turn, copied it from Xerox.
true.
--3974694515-1341460863-1791402202=:24355--

